Is cacao chocolate 'junk' food?

Options
Nakeshia88
Nakeshia88 Posts: 119 Member
I'm wondering if the cacao chocolate I just purchased would be considered by most to be a 'junk' food?

The reason I'm asking is because I'm doing a Junk Free June challenge to help raise funds for the NZ Cancer Society. It's entirely up to the participant how far they take the challenge (for example some are only giving up fast food or soft drinks, and others are going completely vegan/raw for the month). Personally I'm giving up things like biscuits/cookies/cake, soft drinks, lollies/candy bars/sweets, potato chips/crisps, deep fried food and milk/white chocolate. These are all things I'd class as 'junk' food as they hold little/no nutritional value...

The cacao chocolate I just purchased contains at least 72% cacao, agave syrup, peppermint oil and sea salt, that's it. I think there is nutritional value in cacao, but I could be wrong? Would you consider this to be a 'junk' food?

Replies

• AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    I don't consider anything to be "junk" food. Food is food. Some help me feel full and reach my macro goals better than others, but it's all food and it's all allowed.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    I don't consider anything to be "junk" food. Food is food. Some help me feel full and reach my macro goals better than others, but it's all food and it's all allowed.

I feel the same.
  • Nakeshia88
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

I feel the same.

I understand this, however as I'm on a highly restricted diet for medical reasons (low FODMAP, low gluten, low dairy etc.), and I'm also trying to maintain/lose weight, every portion of food I eat each day has to have some value for my body! Anything with little/no nutritional value is pretty much a waste of calories... Of course we should all treat ourselves now and then, but for me personally it's better to make sure those treats have some nutrients that my body can use. Part of the reason I'm taking up this challenge, to learn to live (mostly) without food with little/no nutritional value.

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Nakeshia88 wrote: »

I feel the same.

I understand this, however as I'm on a highly restricted diet for medical reasons (low FODMAP, low gluten, low dairy etc.), and I'm also trying to maintain/lose weight, every portion of food I eat each day has to have some value for my body! Anything with little/no nutritional value is pretty much a waste of calories... Of course we should all treat ourselves now and then, but for me personally it's better to make sure those treats have some nutrients that my body can use. Part of the reason I'm taking up this challenge, to learn to live (mostly) without food with little/no nutritional value.

So does this chocolate fit the bill? I'm low on fat all the time, so it might help me hit my fat goal. It seems like you would know the answer to this better than anyone else.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    As part of the challenge I'd consider it junk. It's not much better than a "normal" chocolate bar.

It's ordinarily not something you'd eat lots of if you're trying to eat all nutritious food...but fine in moderation. There's some conflicting info on the health benefits of cacao, I haven't been bothered to research it properly as I don't really care... I'm not going to stop eating chocolate or using cacao as I enjoy it!
  • Nakeshia88
    Options
    So does this chocolate fit the bill? I'm low on fat all the time, so it might help me hit my fat goal. It seems like you would know the answer to this better than anyone else.

That's pretty much what I'm asking with my original question :-) I know cacao contains a lot of anti-oxidants and magnesium, but I'm not sure how this is changed when the cacao is made into a dark chocolate, would the increased saturated fat and sugars then make it a 'junk' food?

• almontlady
    almontlady Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    ]I agree that food is food and that no food is really "junk." We can eat as clean a we want, but the more we deny ourselves occasional naughty treats, the less likely we are to lose weight, if that is the goal. I am losing weight slowly and steadily, but if I couldn't enjoy a piece of cake when I go to a wedding, my life would be a pretty cheerless place! The naughty treats become a health problem if we substitute the treats for nutrition packed whole foods. From what I have read, the "naughtiest" thing about most chocolate products is the sugar, but even so, occasional chocolate treats can be part of a healthy diet. I LOVE chocolate, but am cutting down on empty calories, so I keep some unsweetened chocolate on hand, powdered as well as baking chocolate. I make my own sweet treats using some stevia or Splenda, to control the amount of sugar in the finished product. I make a fabulous cup of hot chocolate using baker's chocolate, lowfat milk, Splenda, cinnamon, nutmeg and vanilla.
  • Nakeshia88
    Options
    As part of the challenge I'd consider it junk. It's not much better than a "normal" chocolate bar.

It's ordinarily not something you'd eat lots of if you're trying to eat all nutritious food...but fine in moderation. There's some conflicting info on the health benefits of cacao, I haven't been bothered to research it properly as I don't really care... I'm not going to stop eating chocolate or using cacao as I enjoy it!

I'd probably only eat 2 squares (approx 10 grams) every few days, just for when those chocolate cravings get out of control!

• Nakeshia88
    Options
    crweick wrote: »
    ]I agree that food is food and that no food is really "junk." We can eat as clean a we want, but the more we deny ourselves occasional naughty treats, the less likely we are to lose weight, if that is the goal. I am losing weight slowly and steadily, but if I couldn't enjoy a piece of cake when I go to a wedding, my life would be a pretty cheerless place! The naughty treats become a health problem if we substitute the treats for nutrition packed whole foods. From what I have read, the "naughtiest" thing about most chocolate products is the sugar, but even so, occasional chocolate treats can be part of a healthy diet. I LOVE chocolate, but am cutting down on empty calories, so I keep some unsweetened chocolate on hand, powdered as well as baking chocolate. I make my own sweet treats using some stevia or Splenda, to control the amount of sugar in the finished product. I make a fabulous cup of hot chocolate using baker's chocolate, lowfat milk, Splenda, cinnamon, nutmeg and vanilla.

Your hot chocolate sounds devine :-)
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    It's a pretty nutritionally sparse food.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options

I'd probably only eat 2 squares (approx 10 grams) every few days, just for when those chocolate cravings get out of control!

For the challenge, that's the equivalent of eating a couple of squares of normal chocolate. If you crave chocolate and not just sugar, try using cacao on its own
  • Nakeshia88
    Options
    For the challenge, that's the equivalent of eating a couple of squares of normal chocolate. If you crave chocolate and not just sugar, try using cacao on its own

• melissalatzel25
    melissalatzel25 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I'm wondering if the cacao chocolate I just purchased would be considered by most to be a 'junk' food?

The reason I'm asking is because I'm doing a Junk Free June challenge to help raise funds for the NZ Cancer Society. It's entirely up to the participant how far they take the challenge (for example some are only giving up fast food or soft drinks, and others are going completely vegan/raw for the month). Personally I'm giving up things like biscuits/cookies/cake, soft drinks, lollies/candy bars/sweets, potato chips/crisps, deep fried food and milk/white chocolate. These are all things I'd class as 'junk' food as they hold little/no nutritional value...

The cacao chocolate I just purchased contains at least 72% cacao, agave syrup, peppermint oil and sea salt, that's it. I think there is nutritional value in cacao, but I could be wrong? Would you consider this to be a 'junk' food?

cacao is the raw form of cocoa and its got a lot of nutrition!!! lots of magnesium , more calcium then cows milk, more antioxidants than blueberries and more!! its not junk its a natural plant thats been unprocessed xxx
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    No.

Enjoy it as long as it fits in your calorie/macro targets for the day.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I don't know about cacao powder, but here's info for dark chocolate

http://www.healthaliciousness.com/nutritionfacts/nutrition-comparison.php?o=19903&t=19904&h=19078&s=29.000&e=29.000&r=29.00

You'd be high on fat (good, depending on your macros), as well as also iron (~30% of DV for 30 grams) and the other minerals mentioned. The dark chocolate reviewed above is high in Omega 6s (ok but kind of bad as you want more Omega 3s than 6s, but if you're not just eating dark chocolate, that's an easy fix). Not junk food.
  • FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    Options
    it's junk as in it tastes like *kitten* :tongue:

80% bitter chalk...er, cacao

hit me with that milk chocolate, bro
  • Nakeshia88
    Options
    draznyth wrote: »

Haha, the darker the better tasting to me!

• FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    Options
    draznyth wrote: »

Haha, the darker the better tasting to me!

lol hey more power to ya then

it's definitely not "junk" but since you're doing a fund raising challenge then ultimately it's up to you to decide what to consider "junk" for the purpose of that challenge
  • Gianfranco_R
    Gianfranco_R Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options

agave syrup is very high in fructose, since you are in a low-FODMAP diet you should avoid it like the plague (unless you have already reintroduced fructose of course).

• LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Why would this type of chocolate be considered less "junk" than milk chocolate? Either chocolate is allowed, or it is not. Either highly processed food is allowed in the challenge or it is not. I cannot say I would normally put such restrictions in my diet, but for a challenge like this, no, I would not eat it. Just because it sounds more expensive than regular chocolate, it does not mean it is "cleaner".