Scales that Don't Suck. Recommendations?

Options
I've about had it with consumer weight scales. I'm on my third brand, and I'm at my wits end. The scales start out okay, but over time, I keep running into the same issue: for every five times I step on the scales, I get 5 different weight measurements ... within a 3 minute time span. If I pick up the scales and try a different surface in my house, I get even more varied measurements. And I'm not talking 0.2 pounds difference. I'm talking about 3 to 5 pounds difference. ... I'm willing to spend some money to find some scales that don't suck. Has anyone had success with a particular brand/model?

Replies

• healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    I have scales called "Thinner" that I bought at BB&B a couple of years ago. The platform is thick glass and its a digital that measures pounds, body fat, hydration and bone density. I just use it for pounds cause I don't know how accurate everything else is. It has weighed consistently and accurately (same as my docs scales). I think it cost about 50.
  • rassha01
    rassha01 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Fitbit Aria is pretty sweet and it logs your weight directly with MFP!!!
  • potluck965
    potluck965 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Are you talking a digital scale or a spring/dial type?

It is really bad to move a digital scale around at all. You should have one good flat place and leave it there.

I have a digital that has been pretty good. When it starts ****ing around with weights I change the batteries whether it says to or not. That usually helps.

Mine is made by Eat Smart, the same people that make my food scale which served me well for couple of years until it just recently crapped out. Neither scale is particularly expensive and I figure if they last a couple of years they don't owe me anything.
  • keithgoode
    keithgoode Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I'll try changing the batteries. The one in there now is only about a month old, but it's worth a shot.
  • keithgoode
    Options

Thanks for the recommendation. I like that it integrates with MFP.
  • keithgoode
    Options
    I have scales called "Thinner" that I bought at BB&B a couple of years ago. The platform is thick glass and its a digital that measures pounds, body fat, hydration and bone density. I just use it for pounds cause I don't know how accurate everything else is. It has weighed consistently and accurately (same as my docs scales). I think it cost about 50.

Thanks for the recommendation! :-)
  • Bekahmardis
    Bekahmardis Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    Funny thing - we just switched out our "Thinner" scale with a FitBit Aria and we love it!!!
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    I bought mine from Costco, it seems to be working out - in kgs and pounds
  • scookiemonster
    scookiemonster Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Are you talking a digital scale or a spring/dial type?

It is really bad to move a digital scale around at all. You should have one good flat place and leave it there.

I have a digital that has been pretty good. When it starts ****ing around with weights I change the batteries whether it says to or not. That usually helps.

Mine is made by Eat Smart, the same people that make my food scale which served me well for couple of years until it just recently crapped out. Neither scale is particularly expensive and I figure if they last a couple of years they don't owe me anything.

I have the EatSmart scale too, and I really like it. I find it to be very consistent, and it seems to be relatively accurate, as far as I can tell.
  • ScouseNerd
    ScouseNerd Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I don't trust digital scales, but the Weight Watchers one is great. Only maybe a pound off from the doctors' office ones. Pricey but never failed me. Miss that thing. Sort of. My current one if 3-4lbs under so I'm okay stepping on it when I'm scared
  • captmiddy
    captmiddy Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I also use a FitBit Aria, but I will say if I step on it 5 times I will get 5 different weights but within about 0.8 lbs not the 3 to 5 lb variance you are seeing. Ours hasn't moved from its spot in 5 months, although it will have to move as we are having guests and it is in the middle of our hallway. (you all can use your imagination as to why this is a bad idea).

I used to have a homedics or some such, and it was always off. I lost 5 lbs in 1 day and that was when the Aria came home. Especially since the WII Fit Balance Board said I hadn't lost anything that day.
  • JessicaOnKeto
    JessicaOnKeto Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I have the eat smart scale as well. And I love it. It's accurate so far, every single time I stepped on it after the first time, it would give me the same exact measurement.

I even tried to "trick" it, by stepping on it, stepping off, stepping back on with a 10lb bag of potatoes, and then stepping off and stepping back on without the potatoes. Exactly the same as the first reading. :laugh: I guess I'm a little obsessive.

My scale is here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001KXZ808/ref=oh_details_o04_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It even came with a measuring tape, which was handy :happy:
  • manix84
    manix84 Posts: 1
    Options
    I have the Fitbit Aria scales, and they are fantastic. I highly recommend them.
  • JJordon
    JJordon Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    Omron HBF-514C Body composition monitor.
  • Reecebullet
    Reecebullet Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I have the Omron BF508 Body Composition and Body Fat Monitor Scales, which are really accurate with quite a few extra features which are handy.
  • JaceyMarieS
    JaceyMarieS Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    I have a balance beam scale. LOVE it - always accurate and it's easy to check the calibration
  • StephanieE3456
    StephanieE3456 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I also recommend the Fitbit Aria. It's pretty consistent.