learning about nutrition and exercise

Options
Seigla
Seigla Posts: 172 Member
There is so much that I have learned (and am still learning) about living healthy; what minerals and vitamins do I need and what do I need to eat to get enough of them? and what about macros; which ones do I need, and when, and in what quantities? how does exercise affect my body and what exercise do I need to do in order to improve my health and fitness? and so forth.

I learn a lot by asking questions here and now I've started reading a scientific book about nutrition. I think it's fascinating. It helps me become much more healthier and stronger, and I wonder; why did I not learn this stuff in school?

We did cover topics about this, but it never was connected to practice. I think it would be very good if kids would be taught how they can keep their bodies in good shape. Lot's of people these days (including me a few years ago) don't have a clue about how their bodies work. What do you think?

Replies

• alyhuggan
    alyhuggan Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I don't understand why CICO isn't taught in school.

I always just thought it was impossible for me to be in shape as every time I went into a phase of exercising I never saw progress so I just assumed because of genetics I'd always be fat.

I'm assuming there are a lot of other people out there that think the same, all because they don't know about CICO...
  • Seigla
    edited June 2015
    Options
    yeah CICO is the most important thing I learned. It's so simple and it really works. Knowing CICO is the fundament of building a healthy lifestyle. It's a shame that children don't learn that at the very least.

Since I learned it I talked with quite some friends about how weight loss works and very few understand that it's basically just CICO; and these people are almost all academics! If people don't know such basic knowledge about how to fuel their body than it's no wonder that so many people get overweight/fail to lose weight.

I think that's all very unfortunate. Glad that you learned it and that you managed to lose weight after that!
  • mperrott2205
    mperrott2205 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    alyhuggan wrote: »

I always just thought it was impossible for me to be in shape as every time I went into a phase of exercising I never saw progress so I just assumed because of genetics I'd always be fat.

I'm assuming there are a lot of other people out there that think the same, all because they don't know about CICO...

Agreed, it should at least be taught in Physical Education
  • alyhuggan
    alyhuggan Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    defmut3 wrote: »

I asked my P.E teacher (2009 or 2010) how to lose fat, he told me to use a cycling bike and just do an hour a night and there was no way I wouldn't lose. As soon as I was off that bike I ate back all the calories because I thought I could eat as much as I wanted as long as I was exercising...
  • Seigla
    edited June 2015
    Options
    defmut3 wrote: »

I asked my P.E teacher (2009 or 2010) how to lose fat, he told me to use a cycling bike and just do an hour a night and there was no way I wouldn't lose. As soon as I was off that bike I ate back all the calories because I thought I could eat as much as I wanted as long as I was exercising...

Hm cycling for an hour every night sure burns a lot of calories, but it's a shame that he failed to mention that one also needs to make changes on the calorie intake side. I hope he at least knew this himself, but just failed to mention it... because if even P.E. teachers don't have such basic knowledge, I fear the obesity crisis is long from over.
  • ruggedshutter
    ruggedshutter Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I wish that they taught it as well. It's a shame that most will never know how to regulate their weight correctly.