Fish how many times a week?

Options
Sarasmaintaining
Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
edited June 2015 in Food and Nutrition
I've recently discovered what a an awesome resource of protein fish is, and have gone from eating it 1-2 times a month, to now eating a double serving of (frozen) wild caught salmon once a week. But I'm wondering if it's ok to actually eat fish 2-3 times a week, or even more than that? Is the whole 'eat fish in limited quantities because of Mercury' old news? Or is this still the recommendation? Or does that only pertain to certain fish?

At the moment I'm sticking with wild caught salmon and wild caught ocean perch because I can get them frozen for really cheap (love Aldi <3 ) :)

How many times a week do you eat fish?

Replies

• s2mikey
    s2mikey Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    We try and eat fish 1-2 times a week. I wish it was cheaper....
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Options
    s2mikey wrote: »
    We try and eat fish 1-2 times a week. I wish it was cheaper....

Do you have an Aldi nearby? I get frozen bags of wild caught salmon for $4 and it has four servings/$1 a serving.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    The type of fish makes a big difference, and also the risk level varies--basically it's an issue for women who are pregnant or may become pregnant (as it builds up over time and doesn't go away quickly) and small children. For that reason I tend to not worry about it, but I can see why others would. I eat fish 4-5 times a week (sometimes more), but lots of it is lower risk fish like salmon and trout.

Here's a good list with the relative levels.

http://www.nrdc.org/health/effects/mercury/guide.asp
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    I've been eating ocean trout every day recently.... We can only get farmed salmon here, so ocean trout is my best oily fish option!
  • Wiseandcurious
    Wiseandcurious Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    The type of fish makes a big difference, and also the risk level varies--basically it's an issue for women who are pregnant or may become pregnant (as it builds up over time and doesn't go away quickly) and small children. For that reason I tend to not worry about it, but I can see why others would. I eat fish 4-5 times a week (sometimes more), but lots of it is lower risk fish like salmon and trout.

Thank you for this list.

Apparently I'd better limit my tuna and switch to a different type too - the one I have now is not fished in a sustainable way :)
    Too bad because it was my cheapest source of protein.
  • Sarasmaintaining
    edited June 2015
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

Thank you for the link, will check it out now! My youngest is 7 and the baby ship has sailed lol. So it looks like I can eat more fish than I have been. I'm excited that I've found a good protein source because it's an area that I've been struggling with. I'd like to start eating it like you do, 4-5 times a week :)
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    I eat vegetarian fish fillets 1-2 times a week: http://gardein.com/products/golden-fishless-filet/

They're not as high protein/gram as real fish, but there's zero mercury risk. Also they're breaded. Nom.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I eat fish several times a week. My go to meal out (we eat out often) is grilled salmon caesar salad.
    I also like snacking on kippered herring and sardines, and enjoy adding herring or sardines to a salad.
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Options
    I eat fish several times a week. My go to meal out (we eat out often) is grilled salmon caesar salad.
    I also like snacking on kippered herring and sardines, and enjoy adding herring or sardines to a salad.

That salad sounds yummy :) Happy to see that eating fish more often is ok, going to have it for lunch today :)
  • Justthisgirl1994
    Justthisgirl1994 Posts: 226 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I live literally 2 min away from a fishing port! My mom has been going there for years, so they always give her random discounts on fresh off the boat fish #regular. Anyway, so I have it about once a week. She usually buys sockeye salmon.
  • jaxass
    jaxass Posts: 2,128 Member
    Options
    I'm a huge shrimp fan and will eat it often. Boil, Grilled, sauteed, smoked...I like it all. Very low in calories too, so I can eat plenty. Normally, about 8-10 will fill me up.

I'd like to try other types but it's so darned expensive.
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    I eat fish about 2 times per week. I love grilled salmon.
  • sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    Options
    0 to 2 times a week, on average, but I also take fish oil.

It's especially important to limit canned tuna due to mercury content. Some people think it's okay to have every day or every other day, which is not wise.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I've recently discovered what a an awesome resource of protein fish is, and have gone from eating it 1-2 times a month, to now eating a double serving of (frozen) wild caught salmon once a week. But I'm wondering if it's ok to actually eat fish 2-3 times a week, or even more than that? Is the whole 'eat fish in limited quantities because of Mercury' old news? Or is this still the recommendation? Or does that only pertain to certain fish?

At the moment I'm sticking with wild caught salmon and wild caught ocean perch because I can get them frozen for really cheap (love Aldi <3 ) :)

How many times a week do you eat fish?

depends on the fish...salmon is not a high mercury fish...tuna is. I eat salmon a couple times per week for dinner, cod a couple times per week and shrimp about once per week for dinner. I eat canned tuna with my lunches about 2 times per week.

google mercury levels in fish
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
    I eat fish 14 times a week its a great source of protein!!
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    The warnings are mostly for young children and pregnant women. If you are eating non-oily fish you are fine regarding mercury as mercury builds up in the fish's fat/oil.
  • mistikal13
    mistikal13 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    I eat fish about 4 times per week
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Fish is my go to dinner. So ya, I eat it a lot. Low calories and high in protein. I typically eat Tilapia and Swai (both are low mercury fish).