scale addiction.

Options
2»

Replies

• sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    I weigh every morning before eating/drinking anything. The differences throughout the day mean nothing but I do like to see a trend so that's why I weigh everyday. Good luck and give yourself time.
  • LoreA1960
    LoreA1960 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I've been using MFP for awhile now and have lost 77 pounds so far, but I'm compelled to step on my scale every day. I can't go by what my scale says, though because it is not accurate. I do, however weigh in at my Diabetic Education appt. once a month and that one I can rely on. I just want to see on my scale if the weight has gone down. My main focus is not on the scale, but the calories and carbs. I still weigh and measure my food.
  • MiSo_SeXy
    MiSo_SeXy Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I too have become too fixated with numbers... Sigh
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    I do like to weigh every day but only at exactly the same context: right upon waking, so fully fasted, and after using the restroom. All the other higher weights of the day are utterly meaningless to me. Think of yourself as a beautiful drinking glass... Would you weigh it full of water or beer or almonds? Of course not! You would weigh it empty. If you think of it this way you won't be tortured by weighing all day long. Now some people don't like everyday, but it doesn't bug me to bob up & down a little so long as I can see the trend line. And there are apps like Happy Scale to help you recognize this. Hope that helped a little. ONE time per day, at your emptiest!
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    sistrsprkl wrote: »
    I weigh every morning before eating/drinking anything. The differences throughout the day mean nothing but I do like to see a trend so that's why I weigh everyday. Good luck and give yourself time.

+1 this is me too..

High sodium meals the day before clue me in on how much more water I should drink today...
  • summerdaze120
    summerdaze120 Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    I was in the same boat as you - weighing myself multiple times a day. I tried stopping cold turkey, but it wasn't easy. So, I started thinking about why I was weighing myself constantly, what was I getting from it? I think I weighed myself so much was because I wanted reassurance that I was "losing weight" and I wanted to see results right away. When the numbers went down I was happy, but when they went up I would beat myself down.

I finally asked myself, why do I want to lose weight? To get healthy, active, be a role model, etc. Well my behavior of constantly weighing myself wasn't going to speed up the process nor make the pounds disappear. I kept telling myself that this weight came on slow, so it's going to have to come off slow. So, one day I decided that I didn't want to be on that emotional roller coaster anymore and made the connection that a healthy life/BMI/etc. wasn't based on a number, but based on what I was actually doing/eating. I do weigh myself every morning in order to help with portion control and late night snack cravings.

It takes time to break an addiction, but I think like with anything else, it has to be for a reason that really means a lot to you.