Best way to lose thighs' fat?

Options
My thighs are huge and fat. I would like them to be smaller and tone. Should I do leg workouts with my own body weight? lift not se heavy but tons of repetitions? Or lift heavy with less repetitions?

Thank you!!!

Replies

• sjohnson__1
    sjohnson__1 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Losing fat is more of a general process rather than something you can get spot specific about. Put simply, you can't spot reduce. Lifting, builds muscle (which is a great thing) and burns calories (also great) - both something I would recommend. Hypertrophy (higher reps, less rest) will make the muscle cells you target increase in size. Low reps, heavy lifting will create more density and strength. I would recommend implementing both into your workouts. (Either rotate weekly or use a 6 day PPL split - training push (day 1), pull (day 2), legs(day 3) for hypertrophy and then push (day 5), pull(day 6), & legs (day 7) for strength)

That being said, the most important factor is that you're in a caloric deficit (roughly 20% below maintenance) each day. The fat will slowly decrease and, although it may be stubborn in spots, you just have to be patient. Adding cardio will help you burn more quickly!
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    First things first: you can't spot reduce.

To lose fat on your thighs, you need a calorie deficit. You'll lose fat overall, some of which will come from your thighs. How much though is dependent on your genetics.

Second, lifting will help you retain your muscle mass. This allows you to look smaller/firmer as you lose the fat. Heavy lifting (something like Stronglifts 5x5, Ice Cream Fitness, or Strong Curves) is one of the best ways to retain your muscle mass and gain strength.
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    donkey kicks. on weight machines or not. adductor and abductor work on weight machines or not...all are very effective at sculpting thighs and butt. simple. well defined = low weight and high reps ( negatives too) and just bulked legs = high weight low reps.
  • 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    Losing fat is more of a general process rather than something you can get spot specific about. Put simply, you can't spot reduce. Lifting, builds muscle (which is a great thing) and burns calories (also great) - both something I would recommend. Hypertrophy (higher reps, less rest) will make the muscle cells you target increase in size. Low reps, heavy lifting will create more density and strength. I would recommend implementing both into your workouts. (Either rotate weekly or use a 6 day PPL split - training push (day 1), pull (day 2), legs(day 3) for hypertrophy and then push (day 5), pull(day 6), & legs (day 7) for strength)

That being said, the most important factor is that you're in a caloric deficit (roughly 20% below maintenance) each day. The fat will slowly decrease and, although it may be stubborn in spots, you just have to be patient. Adding cardio will help you burn more quickly!

Lifting will not build muscle if she is in a calorie deficit.

OP, you can't spot reduce. Keep losing fat and your thighs will eventually get smaller. This means eating in a deficit. To preserve lean mass, lift weights. If you're not sure where to start, check out New Rules of Lifting for Women, Starting Strength, Strong Curves, or Strong Lifts 5x5.
  • StrongAndHealthyMommy
    StrongAndHealthyMommy Posts: 1,255 Member
    Options
    Oh I do understand I can't spot reduce. Plus I need to reduce fat in my whole body. But usually When I do legs Lift pretty heavy and I haven't seen any progress. I do cardio 5 days a week if possible. And weight 2 times a week (one day for arms and other for legs). And my core day is without weights. Thank you for the advices!!!
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    One thing that we all need to remember is that muscle weighs more than fat; and at first, anyway, you'll get a little discouraged if you are working out (with weights) . . . if you don't remember that! Go for it; just remember it is the way your clothes changing the way they fit on you that will determine this - not necessarily the scales at first. I think those of us who are built like others in our family are probably not ever going to get into a 'different' overall shape, just maybe better toned. Sometimes it is bone structure and that is something we can't change. Walking is a good exercise when you are dealing with your legs. I like to walk in the pool because of the resistance. Others might not agree with me; but, that is what I prefer to do. Especially in the summer, because I can keep cool and sometimes even get a little sun in. B)
  • FitFitzy331
    FitFitzy331 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Oh I do understand I can't spot reduce. Plus I need to reduce fat in my whole body. But usually When I do legs Lift pretty heavy and I haven't seen any progress. I do cardio 5 days a week if possible. And weight 2 times a week (one day for arms and other for legs). And my core day is without weights. Thank you for the advices!!!

You're neglecting large parts of your body if you are only doing arm and leg lifts. By core I assume you mean ab exercises which are probably still neglecting your chest and back. You should be working out your full body if you don't want a muscle imbalance.
    xcalygrl wrote: »
    First things first: you can't spot reduce.

To lose fat on your thighs, you need a calorie deficit. You'll lose fat overall, some of which will come from your thighs. How much though is dependent on your genetics.

Second, lifting will help you retain your muscle mass. This allows you to look smaller/firmer as you lose the fat. Heavy lifting (something like Stronglifts 5x5, Ice Cream Fitness, or Strong Curves) is one of the best ways to retain your muscle mass and gain strength.

^ I agree with this. Check out a structured strength building program and eat a calorie defict. Many people on this site have seen results in fat loss and overall weight loss from doing this.
  • DesertGunR
    DesertGunR Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    First and foremost remember this, all weight loss start in you own kitchen. You must adjust, maintain and monitor all of your calories there and keep yourself in caloric deficit.

As for fat loss or gain, it is all about genetics. Wherever you personally gain weight first is where you will lose it last. Every person here has the exact same problem when it comes to losing fat. We each have/had our own trouble spots and have had to wait through those last few spots to finally fade away. All we did, which is what you have to do, is eat at deficit everyday and we chose some form of exercise that we enjoyed to help supplement that process in order to get our hearts and body healthy as we lost the weight.

If you are lifting heavy as part of your fitness routine your scale will no longer be your friend. It is better to use a tape measure and photos will be a better tracking measure of progress. Muscle is denser than Fat. Think 1lb. of lead versus 1lb. of feathers. Both way 1lb., however the lead just like muscle takes up less volume than the feathers/fat. Because of this as you lift and your lean muscle mass versus your body fat will change and that is when the scale will not be as helpful in determining your success.

Hope that helps.

Good Luck!
  • sjohnson__1
    edited June 2015
    Options
    3bambi3 wrote: »

Lifting will not build muscle if she is in a calorie deficit.

While this is certainly the norm, there are some variables that could potentially result in muscle building while in a caloric deficit. New lifters who are in a less than 10% deficit an example of a subject who CAN successfully build muscle while burning fat.
  • sjohnson__1
    Options
    One thing that we all need to remember is that muscle weighs more than fat; and at first, anyway, you'll get a little discouraged if you are working out (with weights) . . . if you don't remember that! Go for it; just remember it is the way your clothes changing the way they fit on you that will determine this - not necessarily the scales at first. I think those of us who are built like others in our family are probably not ever going to get into a 'different' overall shape, just maybe better toned. Sometimes it is bone structure and that is something we can't change. Walking is a good exercise when you are dealing with your legs. I like to walk in the pool because of the resistance. Others might not agree with me; but, that is what I prefer to do. Especially in the summer, because I can keep cool and sometimes even get a little sun in. B)

Well... yes, muscle does weigh more than fat. It is also a much slower process (building muscle) than fat loss is. For one, the caloric expenditure you put forth in resistance training will burn fat FASTER than it builds muscle, that's part of the reason why you need to eat in a surplus to build muscle (outside of new lifters). Secondly, you will always be able to change your overall shape. It just takes a lot of consistency and hard work.

• DesertGunR
    DesertGunR Posts: 187 Member
    Options

Well... yes, muscle does weigh more than fat. It is also a much slower process (building muscle) than fat loss is. For one, the caloric expenditure you put forth in resistance training will burn fat FASTER than it builds muscle, that's part of the reason why you need to eat in a surplus to build muscle (outside of new lifters). Secondly, you will always be able to change your overall shape. It just takes a lot of consistency and hard work.

Muscle does not weigh more than Fat. One pound of Muscle weighs exactly the same as one pound of Fat. Muscle is denser than fat so it takes up less space by volume. Just like one pound of lead takes up far less space than one pound of feathers. That is why as you strength train and maintain your lean muscle mass you will see less weight loss on the scale. It is important that is you are strength training that you use a tape measure and photos to track your progress throughout the entire journey as they will show you the results that your scale will eventually slow down and/or stop showing you.

I hope that clears things up. Carry on.

Good Luck!
  • mpeters1965
    mpeters1965 Posts: 370 Member
    Options

It may be for you (as I have found for me) that the thigh fat is last to go. You already know that you can't spot reduce but we also can't pick the order it comes off in either. Depending on your body type, you also may always have a bit extra in the thighs but if everything all over looks toned, it shouldn't be a big deal. I think there was some good advice on the types of exercises to focus on, too.

Keep it up! You'll get there!
  • StrongAndHealthyMommy
    Options
    You guys are right on everything you are saying. Thank you for your support. I'm pretty frustrated. Weight loss plateau is a B****. I need to throw away my scale and listen to your guys advices.
  • StrongAndHealthyMommy
    Options
    Pu_239 wrote: »
    You guys are right on everything you are saying. Thank you for your support. I'm pretty frustrated. Weight loss plateau is a B****. I need to throw away my scale and listen to your guys advices.

was scrolling through the topic, maybe i missed it, where did you get the idea you're in a plateau?

Gained 84 lbs with pregnancy. And I haven't been able to lose the last 25 lbs haven't lose a single lb since November and I see changes everywhere on my body but my thighs
  • xcalygrl
    Options
    DesertGunR wrote: »

Muscle does not weigh more than Fat. One pound of Muscle weighs exactly the same as one pound of Fat. Muscle is denser than fat so it takes up less space by volume. Just like one pound of lead takes up far less space than one pound of feathers. That is why as you strength train and maintain your lean muscle mass you will see less weight loss on the scale. It is important that is you are strength training that you use a tape measure and photos to track your progress throughout the entire journey as they will show you the results that your scale will eventually slow down and/or stop showing you.

I hope that clears things up. Carry on.

Good Luck!

Muscle doesn't weigh more than fat? So what weighs more, a lead ball or balloon ?? just curious...

Muscle doesn't weight more than fat. A pound is a pound is a pound. Which weighs more: a pound of feathers or a pound of bricks? Muscle is more dense than fat, which is why you can weigh more per the scale but be smaller. Back to the feathers and bricks: with the feathers you'll have a crapton more volume than with the bricks, but you'll have the same scale weight.
  • xcalygrl
    Options

was scrolling through the topic, maybe i missed it, where did you get the idea you're in a plateau?

Gained 84 lbs with pregnancy. And I haven't been able to lose the last 25 lbs haven't lose a single lb since November and I see changes everywhere on my body but my thighs

Have you reevaluated your calories lately? 9 times out of a 10 a plateau is the result of 1) not reducing your calorie goal as you lose, 2) overestimating calories burned, 3) underestimating calories eaten, or a combination of all three. Check all of those and see if those may be the cause of your plateau.
  • cherriegh
    cherriegh Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Muscle does not weight more than fat! A pound is a pound regardless of what it is. How can 1 pound be more than another pound makes no sense. It's the space the fat takes is larger and makes u look skinny fat, flabby or "bloated" but muscle is dense makes u look smaller and tight.

That's why a 120lbs person who lifts looks different to a 120lbs person who doesn't lift. They weigh the same.

Keep calorie deficit, lift and use measuring tape because u will lose inches but not so friendly on the scale.
  • VeggieStef
    VeggieStef Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Running works for me. My thighs aren't tiny but I like the shape of them much more now :) Of course as you know diet, too.
  • StrongAndHealthyMommy
    Options
    xcalygrl wrote: »

Have you reevaluated your calories lately? 9 times out of a 10 a plateau is the result of 1) not reducing your calorie goal as you lose, 2) overestimating calories burned, 3) underestimating calories eaten, or a combination of all three. Check all of those and see if those may be the cause of your plateau.

I wasn't counting calories for the first 55 lbs I was making healthy choices and not letting be more than 600 calories/meal. Yesterday, I got back to MFP and have it set to almost 1500 calories a day (so there is a reduction) I have a polarF7 which I use every time I workout (unless I forget it of course) and usually I burn between 400 to 800 a day 5 days a week. I try to eat some of the calories burned but not all.

• StrongAndHealthyMommy
    Options
    VeggieStef wrote: »
    Running works for me. My thighs aren't tiny but I like the shape of them much more now :) Of course as you know diet, too.

I started the C25K 5 weeks ago.

most runners have great legs right? Lol