Body builders/athletes that didn't grow up doing sports?

Options
Female body builders/athletes that didn't grow up doing sports?

There are so many awesome and inspiration fitness models out there who complete in body building, or cross fit or lifting etc but I've found that if you look at their bio it ALWAYS says "I grew up very active" "I grew up in competing in athletics/football/running/marathons/netball/rugby"
As a 23 year old now very interested in fitness, sport and competing a couple years down the line, I'd really like to hear about someone who was a bit overweight in their teens, so they didn't like doing sport because they felt self concious but in their early/mid/late 20's realised how much they actually loved sport and they now compete. Or do these people not exist?

It might sound silly, but I worry that I'm getting too old to be able to do the things that people who've been in prime athletic shape throughout their life can do.

Replies

• tequila09
    tequila09 Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    tell me about it!! i feel i'm doomed!! i've always been soooooo lazy!!! still am! i would love to hear about lazy girls turned fitness nuts!
  • HyacintheAlcuin
    Options
    ehh there are plenty of people who got into being active just from daily exercise. those who grew to love it. they may not be professionals but they still look amazing and are incredibly fit. 23 is not too old to start... I just started at 24 and i've see 50 year olds who just one day decided to get fit .... and did. and now they do stuff that they couldn't imagine doing at 20. so if you wanna get active then go for it
  • liftreadphilosophize
    liftreadphilosophize Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I was super indoorsy/studious/piano-playing/reader kid and didn't discover how much I loved being active until I was in my mid-20s (now in my early 30s and still going strong). I didn't start lifting heavy until a couple years ago, though, and I'm so glad I discovered it! Sometimes it takes a while to find what you love, so just start and don't give up until you find something you really enjoy doing and will be willing to do consistently. I found that I love having a variety, so I do pretty much everything -- whatever sounds or feels good that day. Good luck and have fun!
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    I NEVER played sports growing up. I was into musical theatre, so I danced some, but I never ever ever was into competitive sports or anything like that. I started running a few years ago and took up crossfit about 4 months ago, and at this point I feel like I can call myself an athlete---I've now run 6 half marathons, 1 marathon (training for my 2nd in October), and I can lift more weight than I ever thought I'd be able to.

It's definitely not too late to start! Admittedly, I was terrified my first week of crossfit and when I decided to run my first marathon, but now I can't imagine my life without those two activities. Better late than never!
  • johnglenn1973
    Options
    You can never be too old...

OK, So I've been athletic for pretty much my entire life (not counting the years when i couldn't walk or run, which would be years 0-8, late bloomer). But my older sister was NEVER athletic and hated doing anything physical growing up. Since she started taking her fitness seriously after she turned 30, she has done countless marathons, sprint triathalons, and competitions.

I can't hang with her at all. She's awesome and gets all the accolades now. It can be done.
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym Posts: 5,573 Member
    Options
    I was 33 when I decided to do my first bikini competition. I was never an athlete prior to that, so you're definitely not too old at all.
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options
    my aunt was in her 40s when she started, now she owns her own fitness studio and competes regularly.
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    I played soccer for a major part of m youth. I was fat, though. Almost always have been. I don't call myself an athlete, but I do lift.