I eat too much...how should I go about shirnking my intake

Options
2»

Replies

• marcae70
    marcae70 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    [*] If you are watching your weight, opt for lower fat versions, using leaner cuts of meat, cutting off visible fat and avoiding the skin on poultry as this will help reduce the energy density of the diet, which can help to enhance satiety (see below).

[/list]

I don't think low fat versions of anything is going to do any good. Low Fat = High Sugar. If you are watching your weight, I highly doubt you would want to eat a bunch of foods that are full of added sugar.

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Pennypig87 wrote: »
    okay I opened it and I'm new sooo there aren't many days.... And i understand the process I was looking for tips of what has worked for other people I'm using the calorie counter but i log at the end of the day sooo I go over. I cant log throughout the day all the time.

Plan the day in advance and log it and stick to the plan until you get used to it and a better sense of what calories things have. Also, look over each day and see why you went over--where you could have saved calories.
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    eat less.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    marcae70 wrote: »
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    [*] If you are watching your weight, opt for lower fat versions, using leaner cuts of meat, cutting off visible fat and avoiding the skin on poultry as this will help reduce the energy density of the diet, which can help to enhance satiety (see below).

[/list]

I don't think low fat versions of anything is going to do any good. Low Fat = High Sugar. If you are watching your weight, I highly doubt you would want to eat a bunch of foods that are full of added sugar.

Hi Marcae, welcome to the forums.

I totally agree with you about not eating low fat baked goods for the reason you mentioned. However, the article was referring to choosing leaner cuts of meats. I can eat chicken breast all day long but have to limit rib eye. /sniff/
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    About being '50 calories over'. If you have MFP set for a deficit (250, 500, 750, 1000 per day) and eat 50 over your MFP 'plan' then you are not eating over maintenance. You're simply having a slightly smaller deficit (250-50 = 200 and so on). You don't have to be perfect every day.

But if you feel the need to eat more than your allowed calories everyday due to hunger, that's something to delve into. First is it true hunger? Try drinking water or doing something to take your mind off the topic of food. If it is truly hunger, you can try changing your meals/snacks to be the same or less calories but more filling. Or you may need to evaluate your goals - losing at a slower rate allows you to eat more per day. So if you have a 1 pound per week goal, try changing to .5 pounds per week.

To change up meals, you can aim for 1/2 the amount of rice/pasta/bread you'd normally eat and increase your lean protein (such as going from 4 ounce to 6 or 8 ounces) and also increase the amount of vegetables. Many vegetables are very low cal, meaning you can eat a lot for little calories. A salad with low fat cheese & light dressing can be huge amount of food for under 100-150 calories. Cauliflower, zucchini, broccoli, carrots, etc. can be cooked a multitude of ways or eaten raw, also for few calories. You don't need to cut out rice/pasta/bread if you don't want to.
  • bbontheb
    bbontheb Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    lastspen wrote: »
    Also, if you eat more fruit and veggies, not including the starchy kind (corn, potatoes, bananas), you wouldn't have to worry as much if you go over by 50 or so calories.

Why is this?

• NikkiRios
    NikkiRios Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I have a bad tendency to eat out of boredom. I combat that by almost always having a drink nearby - water or tea without sugar or cream. It gives me something to do without adding calories.
    Also, I like to plan and prepare a meal. I take the time to really make it nice, and even plate it nicely (on a small plate, so it looks full), then eat it slowly and really enjoy it.
    If I have a craving, I indulge it, but just a little. For example, I might eat one or two squares of dark chocolate if I have a chocolate craving.
    As far as the workouts go, you can even just try being more active in every day life if you can't get to the gym often enough. I work out a little bit every single day, like doing lunges down the hallway or pushups while I watch TV. I walk the five minutes to the bank rather than drive. I go work in my yard after work. It adds up.