Taco night is back on thanks to THIS yummy stuffed pepper recipe!

Options
tet86962
tet86962 Posts: 25 Member
A recent college grad on a mission to lose the lingering freshman 15 (20?), I was not in a rush to give up our weekly taco night. What tastes better than a taco after a long, hard days work?! SO, I did a little research and ergo- this Taco Stuffed Pepper recipe was born! Coming in at roughly 335 calories per serving (1 very stuffed pepper), this meatless take on taco night will leave you feeling full and satisfied! (Even served this to my meat-eating counterparts, and they loved it!)

Recipe: (yields 4 very stuffed peppers, and some extra filling!)
INGREDIENTS:
4 Green Bell Peppers
1 Onion, chopped
1 cup Black Beans
1 cup Yellow Sweet Corn
1 cup Quinoa
1 package Taco Seasoning (I used McCormick Cheesy Taco Seasoning Mix, 90 calories)
(optional) 4 tbsp. Grated Cheddar Cheese
(optional) 4 oz. (Sabra) Salsa

DIRECTIONS:

1. Preheat your oven to 350. You can begin cooking your peppers while you prepare the filling, so they won't need to cook as long later!
2. Cut the lids off your peppers and clean. Place the peppers upside down in your baking dish with a thin layer of water int the bottom. Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 20-30 minutes.
3. Filling. First, you'll need to cook your quinoa. Simply boil it on the stove until soft.
4. In a skillet on medium heat, put a dab of olive oil and begin to sauté your onions. When the onions begin to turn golden, add your beans, corn, quinoa and taco seasoning. Stir over heat for 2-3 minutes, or until evenly mixed.
5. Remove peppers from oven and stuff with taco filling. You will end up with a bit of filling left over, depending on the size of your peppers- so really stuff them! Put the peppers back in the oven for another 30-35 minutes, or until peppers are soft.
6. When peppers are cooked, you may choose to add some salsa and a tbsp. of cheddar cheese to the top. Allow cheese to melt in oven, then remove, let peppers cool, and enjoy!

- Bon appetit!

Replies

• mistikal13
    mistikal13 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    I make almost the same recipe. The quinoa is great in stuffed peppers. Enjoy!
  • tet86962
    Options
    Love the quinoa, and it makes the meal so filling!

• tekkiechikk
    tekkiechikk Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    wow, sounds so good... nutritious and would keep you full for some time. Thanks for sharing it.
  • juliannicol479
    juliannicol479 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi from the UK!!! This looks great but can one of you let me know what Quinoa is please as I'm not sure we have it here in England. Thanks
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I love this enchilada turkey stuffed pepper

I make it with halved red bell peppers and add cilantro, then I freeze the individual peppers so I can grab one for quick lunches.

stuffed%20pepper.jpg

I also make "traditional" tacos using corn tortillas (Mission makes an ultra thin for 40 calories each), lean ground meat, I make an easy taco seasoning (budget bytes), and then we use toppings of choice - cilantro, scallion, tomato, cabbage, 2% cheese, and light sour cream. They typically clock in around 300 calories for 2.
  • tet86962
    Options
    wow, sounds so good... nutritious and would keep you full for some time. Thanks for sharing it.

One pepper really fills me up- love it! Thanks for your feedback!
  • tet86962
    Options
    Hi from the UK!!! This looks great but can one of you let me know what Quinoa is please as I'm not sure we have it here in England. Thanks

Quinoa is one of the few plant-based sources of complete protein (makes you very full!) It's grain-like, and I would almost compare it to rice (except the grains are round and tiny.) It doesn't have much flavor on it's own, but it takes the flavor of pretty much anything you put it with. I know it's harvested in the Andes mountains, so although I would think it would have made its way to the UK, I am not positive! Hope this helps!
  • tet86962
    Options

I make it with halved red bell peppers and add cilantro, then I freeze the individual peppers so I can grab one for quick lunches.

stuffed%20pepper.jpg

I also make "traditional" tacos using corn tortillas (Mission makes an ultra thin for 40 calories each), lean ground meat, I make an easy taco seasoning (budget bytes), and then we use toppings of choice - cilantro, scallion, tomato, cabbage, 2% cheese, and light sour cream. They typically clock in around 300 calories for 2.

They look delicious- and I never thought to freeze them for lunches but that is a great idea! Thanks for sharing!
  • tekkiechikk
    tekkiechikk Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Made the recipe last night and it turned out really well. Just a few tweaks-- didn't use the cheese and cooked them in a dutch oven on top of the stove (just added a little water and some no sodium tomato sauce on top). I also didn't pre-cook the peppers, just stuffed them raw. Cooking them in liquid made them soft.

Calories work out to 221 per each VERY stuffed pepper (I'd rate them as small/medium and my recipe made 6) but they are satisfying and delicious... even my husband liked them and he pretty much hates anything different :confounded: Thanks again for the share.
  • tet86962
    Options
    Made the recipe last night and it turned out really well. Just a few tweaks-- didn't use the cheese and cooked them in a dutch oven on top of the stove (just added a little water and some no sodium tomato sauce on top). I also didn't pre-cook the peppers, just stuffed them raw. Cooking them in liquid made them soft.

Calories work out to 221 per each VERY stuffed pepper (I'd rate them as small/medium and my recipe made 6) but they are satisfying and delicious... even my husband liked them and he pretty much hates anything different :confounded: Thanks again for the share.

Glad you liked them! When I originally made the recipe, I too stuffed the raw pepper, however after about 40 minutes of cooking I felt as though the top filling was getting dry while my pepper was still not 100% cooked, hence my tweak for this post. Glad you found a method that worked for you (and your husband!) Enjoy!
  • dwhitten07
    dwhitten07 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    This may be a dumb question, but should I cook the quinoa before I put it into the mix?
  • dwhitten07
    Options
    NevermInd just saw it says it :p can't wait to try it tonight. Cooking it as we speak
  • tet86962
    Options
    dwhitten07 wrote: »
    NevermInd just saw it says it :p can't wait to try it tonight. Cooking it as we speak

Definitely cook the quinoa before! Hope you enjoyed it!
  • dwhitten07
    Options
    It was great! Thanks for the recipe!
  • tet86962
    Options
    dwhitten07 wrote: »
    It was great! Thanks for the recipe!

Glad you enjoyed it!
  • amy_kee
    amy_kee Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I'm definitely going to try the recipe when I get all the ingredients in the house. I've really been wanting a neat way to eat quinoa.
  • tet86962
    Options
    amy_kee wrote: »
    I'm definitely going to try the recipe when I get all the ingredients in the house. I've really been wanting a neat way to eat quinoa.

Let me know what you think when you get a chance to try it!
  • disling
    disling Posts: 1 Member
    Options

Quinoa is easily found in the UK in most supermarkets (Sainsbury's, Tesco, Asda, Waitrose). Look for it where you would find couscous or lentils in your store. Just ask if you can't see it.

• jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Haha, your title reads like all the clickbait that you see on Facebook these days!
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options

stuffed%20pepper.jpg

Picture looks delicious; can you share the actual recipe? Or am I overlooking it from somewhere else?

Lenora