What is a Goal Weight anyway???

Options
2»

Replies

• shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    I picked what I weighed before getting married. That's 130 lbs for me. I'm really close now (less then 10 lbs) and I'm constantly debating if I want to see what I would look like at a slightly lower weight or just move to recomp when I get to 130lbs.
  • losingitseattle
    losingitseattle Posts: 90 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I use BF%. Working towards 20% from 23% right now. Scale is 15 lbs over what I'd tell you my ideal weight is but to get back to that same weight, I'd have to have 13% BF while keeping my muscle mass. If I drop less than 5 more lbs, I will be at 20%. It's about body composition IMO. My friend is 140 ish lbs, 16% BF and wears a Size 2. I'm 142 lbs, 23% BF and wear a Size 6. We are the same height!
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    How did you come up with your goal weight and why?
    My initial goal was to lose 30 lbs and be at the top on the healthy BMI for my height. I wasn't very confident. After awhile I changed my goal to the middle of the healthy BMI for my height. I have been that weight before and remember feeling my best around that weight. I feel more confident about reaching it even though it will take longer to get to my goal now.

I think it is fine to set a goal weight that is a little higher and see how you feel when you get closer to that.
  • lauraesh0384
    lauraesh0384 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I set my goal weight at 150. For my height, 5'6", that's the high end of being normal for my height. I decided to set it at that and when I reach that goal I'll reassess how I look and feel. I want to reach a weight where I don't look sickly. I'm 171 right now and my collar bones are already pretty prominent.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    My goal weight is what I weighed all my life before I quit smoking in 2004. Got up to nearly 170; now at 143, weighed between 105-110 all my life before except a few weeks after having babies and lost it quickly after the birthings. I am going to get there!
  • harpsdesire
    harpsdesire Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I picked a goal weight based on what my Dr recommended. It will put me at the high edge of a healthy BMI for my height, so my plan is when I reach that point, I'll see how I look and feel, and adjust things as needed.
  • judiness101
    judiness101 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I picked up my goal weight based on what I used to weigh and where I though I looked best, which is in my case at a bmi of almost 23. Once I get there I'll reevaluate.
  • mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I picked my goal weight at 150, which was just barely into the healthy weight range. I have been maintaining that for over a year, and I am still perfectly happy there.