Why am I not losing weight?- Have a perfect diet and exercise regimen. Nothing still :(

Options

Replies

• DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    Firstly, she's aiming for low calories anyway, so even eating 1600 would be a deficit, and considering most of what she eats is veggies and fruit, I doubt she goes massively over the 1236 calories anyway, so I don't think weighing food is the issue.

How recently have you had your thyroid levels checked? You might just need a change in dosage.
  • NikkiRios
    NikkiRios Posts: 8 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Every person is different so please do not just take what I say and run with it, but also don't just completely dismiss it... I used to do the 1200 calorie and lots of cardio thing and I never lost weight. I started eating a little more, around 1400-1500 calories, and focusing more on weight training and calisthenics and I dropped 25lbs over a few months (starting weight 155). Basically I try to incorporate exercise into every day life, and it adds up. I lift a little weight, I do some pushups while I watch TV, lunges down the hallway, I walk five minutes here, five minutes there, I work in the yard/garden, and I hit the gym once in while. But I'm doing it throughout the day, every day. Maybe you need to mix up your workout?
    Also it could be that the quicker weight loss you initially saw was due primarily to a water weight drop and the initial shock to your system as you go from a high calorie diet to low calorie. This can burn up reserves quickly for awhile but then your body sort of levels out. Water weight can also account for variances in your weight, especially around your period. I routinely gain 5+ pounds around my period, but it's just bloat.
    Weight loss rarely sticks if it's done too quickly. You can't expect to just drop like 50 pounds in a couple of months, and if you do, it's probably going to come right back. Just focus on eating healthy and being active. And another thing that helps me is to use measurements and how I look more than I use my weight on the scale. I look better at ~135lbs then I looked at 120lbs in high school because I'm more toned. My waist is basically the same size even though I'm heavier.
    Just some things to think about. Either way, don't give up!!
  • nimmu87
    nimmu87 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I am seeing a registered dietician. I will try yoga. But the protein factor has always bothered me. And yes, the eggs would be a good option, but I force myself to eta them, but get a terrible tummy ache- seem to be sensitive towards them. I tried a fad diet in May - a high fat low carb diet- had me eating eggs a lot. :) Yoga may not be my thing. But I'm trying to meditate and have more relaxing stuff to do. I'm a Mechanical Engineer. Work 9-6:30 and then gym for 1+ hour. Drive 40+ miles. It is hard.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I'd ignore that unnecessary value judgment of "sad."

And most definitely this!! ^^

Your diet need not please anyone other than you.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    My guess is at least part of the problem is overestimating your calorie burns. Try logging 245 for the treadmill and 100 for the strength training. Also it's really important to remember that weight loss is not linear - if you lost 9 pounds in April then May might just be evening that out.

I agree with kshama2001- ignore anyone who calls your diet 'sad'. That's a dumb and useless thing to say.

How is your sleep? You sound very busy and stressed. If you're not getting enough sleep, my first recommendation would be to prioritize that above all else.
  • JamesSmedley01
    JamesSmedley01 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    nimmu87 wrote: »
    Guys, need your help big time-

Here's is a look at my diary entry for a day and the calories from MFP- it is almost the same everyday-

FOOD- 1236 calories a day.

Breakfast= 301 calories
    A smoothie with silk almond milk (1 cup_, chobani simply 100 yogurt and half a banana; 1 slice of ezekiel sprout bread

Snack- 162 calories
    15 baby carrots, raw
    12 Almonds

Lunch-334 calories
    Fresh veggie salad (cucmbers, carrots, grape tomatoes and some beans from office cafe)- 0.75 cup
    Chobani simply 100 Yogurt
    1.5 cup homemade butternut squash and carrot soup

Snack- 169 calories
    Eas - Lean 15 - Vanilla Creme, 30 g (1 packet- 2 scoops)
    1 Navel orange

Dinner- 270 calories
    Steamfresh/ green giant steamed veggies- 1 packet
    Melon- cantaloupe- 2cups

Everyday exercise Routine-
    Cardio: HIIT on Treadmill for 35 minutes- 2.2 miles and 375 calories burned
    Weight training- 25 minutes approx. 150- 200 calories burned

I have thyroid issues that are under control, we have changes the antidepressant so it won't cause weight gain, I work out 5-6 days a week, I drink a LOT of water, I watch the sodium, the fat and the sugars in my diet, no caffeine.

I have a nutritionist, a therapist and a psychiatrist/endocrinologist helping me. A personal trainer designed my workouts and I added my own exercises along the way.

Tried between April and July of last year and went down from 258 to 236 lbs. Gained back 10 lbs.

Started in April 2015 and lost 9 lbs. so down to 237 lbs now.

No progress for the past month and more.

What do I do? This is the exact reason I gave up last year. Trying desperately not to, this year.

HELP!!!!

-Nirupama

You've written what you should have but is that what your actually having? The only reason a person gains weight is because they eat too much. You have all the support you could need so I suggest you RECORD yourself for preparing your meals etc. and take note if you 'try' someone elses food etc. Also make note of your drinks and whether it has sugar or milk in this. Show your nutritionist and they will tell you your errors.
  • nimmu87
    nimmu87 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone! I will get a food scale, jack up my protein content and try to increase the overall calorie intake that way. I just got a little hurt at a few of those comments. I'm still not good at handling criticism. Haha :smiley:
  • Teenie0916
    Teenie0916 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Ninkyou wrote: »
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    you are not logging here but it's obvious you are not weighing your food so the calorie counts are off.

you are eating more than you think and/or your burns are too high.

If you are in a deficit you lose weight, if you are eating too much you gain...if you are eating at maintenance you neither gain nor lose.

THIS ...for sure

Weigh ALL your food on a food scale.
    This.

You're probably eating more (calories) than you think.

Yes, yes and yes to all of this ^^

• RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Sending you a hug first of all :)

I would get your self a scale. After a long time of using one I play guess the weight and I'm still always wrong! Try not to get disheartened and please don't stop trying, you CAN lose the weight.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Because of your nutty schedule, you may want to pre-package your day/week and weigh all at once.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I am seeing a registered dietician. I will try yoga. But the protein factor has always bothered me. And yes, the eggs would be a good option, but I force myself to eta them, but get a terrible tummy ache- seem to be sensitive towards them. I tried a fad diet in May - a high fat low carb diet- had me eating eggs a lot. :) Yoga may not be my thing. But I'm trying to meditate and have more relaxing stuff to do. I'm a Mechanical Engineer. Work 9-6:30 and then gym for 1+ hour. Drive 40+ miles. It is hard.

Don't force yourself to eat eggs if they don't agree with you. Eating only the egg white might help, since it's usually the yolk that people have trouble with.

Discuss protein with your nutritionist.
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    I notice you don't mention drinks. What are you drinking?
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    May be a "sad" diet, but for a person away from my home country dealing with major depression and absolutely no appetite, and having to force food down my throat, a diet seems like a good "meal plan" to me.

I would be getting help if the bold was me.

She is...did you not see the people she's working with? The list includes a psychiatrist.
  • 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    You've lost 9 pounds in a month. What's the issue?
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    3bambi3 wrote: »
    You've lost 9 pounds in a month. What's the issue?

This is what I was going to say - even if it's more like two months, 9 pounds is a totally normal rate of loss.
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    May be a "sad" diet, but for a person away from my home country dealing with major depression and absolutely no appetite, and having to force food down my throat, a diet seems like a good "meal plan" to me.

What do the professionals you work with suggest? Honestly for someone with your medical problems, 9 lbs since April sounds pretty good. That was only 2 months ago! Maybe your expectations are simply too high.

I would suggest not giving up!! Stick with the plan from those familiar with your specific needs and be patient.

This-9lbs in a few weeks is great progress! Weight loss isn't a race-you didn't gain the extra weight in a few days and you won't lose it in a few days either. I think you're actually doing pretty great so far :) Like others have said though-weighing your food on a scale can be really eye opening.
  • kbaker001
    kbaker001 Posts: 61 Member
    Options

Good luck - from one Mechanical Engineer to another. :)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options

Ugh, the commute would depress the hell out of me. After a hellish commute in 2005, I've gotten my commute down to across the kitchen floor.

I have a friend who commutes and bikes to the train station and then walks from his stop to work.

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options

What do the professionals you work with suggest? Honestly for someone with your medical problems, 9 lbs since April sounds pretty good. That was only 2 months ago! Maybe your expectations are simply too high.

I would suggest not giving up!! Stick with the plan from those familiar with your specific needs and be patient.

Oh, I missed this. While you may not be losing as fast as you'd like, you are losing at a safe and sustainable rate and those pounds add up over time.