Focusing on Behaviour, Not Weight - Year 1 Report

Options
2»

Replies

• mpeters1965
    mpeters1965 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I found your post quite inspiring and as the poster above said, beautifully presented. There is much in your story that is similar to mine and some things that are different but I am hoping for an eventual success story that is much like yours, a transformation. Probably a long-term one and probably one that is always ongoing in some form but successful nonetheless.

Best wishes for continued happiness and success!
  • skinnyD2308
    skinnyD2308 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I too joined Weight Watchers several times and I was successful at losing, but then gained it all back plus more each time. Finally I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes and that was a big wake up call. If I didn't get the weight off, I was headed for a worsening of my health. I have lost 54 pounds over the last 18 months. I am now not on any meds and my blood glucose and A1C are in the normal range. I read the book Never Say Diet by Chantel Hobbs and used MFP to track my food and calories. The reason so many diets fail to help people keep the weight off for good is they only teach you how to take it off, they don't teach you how to keep it off. If you think about it, they don't want you to keep it off because then you wouldn't need them anymore and they wouldn't make money anymore. Congrats on your accomplishment! What you did makes a lot of sense. Nothing drastic, but slow sensible weight loss that's sustainable for the rest of your life. I may have to check out the book you mentioned. It sounds very helpful. I am so happy for you! You have found a new life and it's a healthy one. Keep going!

Congrats on your own success! Way to go! I'll have to check out the book, I think another good read might help me stay motivated into year two.
  • pkoll
    pkoll Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    You've done a great job! I think the thing this website has taught me is that I don't have to suffer with dieting, start with smaller modifications and lose weight slower. It's easier to stick to.
  • jrhonour
    jrhonour Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Congratulations. It's a tough road as we all know.
  • Desert_Breeze
    Desert_Breeze Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Excellent job! After 2.5 years in the VLC/primal route, I found abstinence of 'trigger' foods just wasn't working, and I got tired of the mental gymnastics over it. I'm on Day 7 of The Diet Fix, and it's been both scary (going 180 degrees on my 'dieting' thinking) and exciting because I've already successfully incorporated some great changes. Work in progress!

Congrats on being a great role model and creating success for yourself and therefore your family!
  • eastofmain
    eastofmain Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I love his book and his blog. I haven't put it into action yet but I can see from your results that I need to. I have many of the same struggles you report. Thank you for sharing (PS he featured you on his blog!)
  • brikhaus
    brikhaus Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Great job! It is so refreshing to hear you say you aren't focused on intense calorie restriction, like so many weight-losers seem to be (I'm not). Can I ask - you say you are focused on getting to 1800 cals/day now - what was your daily average or goal for the first year? I eat low-carb, around 1800-2000 cals/day, with some variability up AND down. I've lost nearly 70 lbs in 15 months with another 10-20 to go (I think - who knows where this process really stops, right?!) Just curious.
    Congrats again!
  • erojoy
    erojoy Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Nice job!
  • believeinme0430
    believeinme0430 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    That's awesome!! Congrats!!!
  • skinnyD2308
    skinnyD2308 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    brikhaus wrote: »
    Great job! It is so refreshing to hear you say you aren't focused on intense calorie restriction, like so many weight-losers seem to be (I'm not). Can I ask - you say you are focused on getting to 1800 cals/day now - what was your daily average or goal for the first year? I eat low-carb, around 1800-2000 cals/day, with some variability up AND down. I've lost nearly 70 lbs in 15 months with another 10-20 to go (I think - who knows where this process really stops, right?!) Just curious.
    Congrats again!

In the early months of this exercise I was eating just under 2000 calories on average - that being said day to day actually calories swing about 200 - 400 calories on average and about 3-4 days per month I might have a really high calorie day (special occasion, PMS food cravings, bad or lack of planning etc.). My best weight loss months (in the 3-4 pound range) my average was around 1750 calories - but again that would just be an average of the month - there would be swings from day to day depending on planning and/or hunger and/or stress. LOL! I just found averaging it out over a week or month helped put splurges into perspective. If you look at my diary for May, you'll notice I had quite a few high calorie days, but it also only 1 of two months where I gained 1-2 pounds. My best month was I think November - lost four pounds, average calorie intake was about 1750 or so. Hope that helps.
  • madube84
    madube84 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Great goals!
  • mymodernbabylon
    mymodernbabylon Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    Fabulous! Fits a lot with what those of us who follow Eat More 2 Weigh Less have found over time too.
  • vinerie
    vinerie Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Nice work! It seems like you have a plan for long-term success vs. quick results. I'm also losing slowly, but like you, I'm really trying to find a way to make this last. Thank you for the inspiration and keep up the good work!!
  • Jennacita
    Jennacita Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Great blog post. I wish you continued success on your journey.
  • breeezy1030
    breeezy1030 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing. What your saying makes so much sense.
  • jbaker436
    jbaker436 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your post. It is encouraging for me as I continue to struggle with consistency. I'll do good for a while and then something will happen (travel, bad weekend, stress, etc.) and I will change my habits (mostly in exercise) and it's so discouraging. Keep up the good work!!
  • Snowhappens
    Snowhappens Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Really enjoyed your post!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!