Caffeine Inhibiting Fat Loss?

ManiacalLaugh
ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
I’ve been reading a couple of posts about caffeine inhibiting fat loss on a low calorie diet. Granted, I’m stuck with Google on my work computer, but I’m not seeing any evidence to back that up. I know caffeine can cause heart issues and one can become chemically addicted to it if you’re overdoing it every day, but this is new news to me.

I’m just going to throw this out there – I’d be devastated if it’s true. Black coffee / green tea have been my natural go-to appetite suppressants in the morning and I love the occasional Bing energy drink (being brand-specific only because it’s one of the more mildly caffeinated energy drinks out there).

Does anyone have any more information/evidence to this idea?

Replies

• cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    I drink coffee every day (probably 1-2 cups) have lost weight and kept it off. Most of the "fat burners" have caffeine in them. I would think this theory maybe comes from most caffeinated beverages have excessive calories (regular sodas, coffee with sugar and creamers, Starbucks Venti mocha Frappuccino). Don't know how it would inhibit fat loss since it is a stimulant. Just my .02
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Lots of fat burner supplements are loaded with caffeine

Interesting question

I hit up the GNC ripped protein shake (2 scoops) at 4:00 before my trip to the gym.

I feel it helps me power thru being tired at the end of the day.... It has a good bit of caffeine

• ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    Hmm... a false correlation could be it.

It would be hilarious though if someone honestly thought "Hm, I'm drinking 10 mocha-pumpkin extra-large, whole milk lattes a day and not losing weight.... Must be the caffeine."
  • dstorozuk1928
    dstorozuk1928 Posts: 2 Member
    edited June 2015
    caffeine itself doesn't inhibit fat loss, it will actually increase your metabolism temporary after consumption. Around 400mg per day is considered a safe amount. The large majority of those sites are assuming you are not drinking it just black w/ added fattening ingredients.