Sugar cravings going cold turkey

Options
is there a way to keep sugar , chocolate, & cakes cravings at bay . Is it possible to go cold turkey

Replies

• whitej1234
    whitej1234 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I went cold turkey a few times. The first 2-3 days for me are really tough, I really needed to hold my self. But the only thing that keeps me going trough them is the fact that it is going to stop in a couple of days and turn into much more manageable level. I still want sweet from time to times but it isn't as tough now, and I do let myself have a treat once in a few days.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    is there a way to keep sugar , chocolate, & cakes cravings at bay . Is it possible to go cold turkey

Cold turkey from sugar? It's possible but most people can't hang on zero carb for very long
  • rowlandsw
    rowlandsw Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    Cold turkey's a bad idea as it'll make the cravings worse and more likely to give in, you can always have sugar free candy when you're craving sugar. You have to remember they still have calories though and could mess with your stomach. Personally I go with sugar free hard candy like Werther's Originals who also have some new chewable sugar free.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Cold turkey is always the way for me until I have settled into my new eating habits. A week or two usually. Then I add treats back in occasionally, as long as it fits into my weekly calorie deficit. The cravings for me usually get better after the first 2-3 days. Knowing that you're quitting just for a while and can enjoy them later in moderation works for me. Also, I loathe sugar free candy.

ETA: I'm only talking about candy, cake, etc., not all sugar and specifically not the natural sugar you get in fruit and many other foods.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    What's wrong with sugar?
  • 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    Sigh.

If you have a problem overeating sweet things, then it may be beneficial for you to remove them from your diet for a while until you learn some self-control.

But there is nothing wrong with sugar and sweets in your diet as long as they are in moderation. I have dessert every day, and I am perfectly healthy.
  • isulo_kura
    isulo_kura Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    You're eating cold Turkey?
  • Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    What is the RDA for carbs?
  • adnaram
    adnaram Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I'm quitting processed sugar now. I still have fruit in moderation, but feel like when I can't control my cravings I really need to take a break from it to get it back under control. the first few days are always the hardest, but it gets easier and you feel so much better.
  • fishcat123
    fishcat123 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    If by cutting out "sugar" you mean processed sugar rather than fruit, and it's available/affordable to you, I'd suggest getting some especially tempting, unusual fruit, maybe splurging a bit on something like papaya, raspberries, cherries, or melon. Personally, I usually buy whatever is on sale or cheapest but occasionally I like to get something a little more exciting. Fruit this time of year is sweet and also delicious, and if you're excited about eating it it might be easier to stay away from other sweets.
  • jamesPercy1985
    jamesPercy1985 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Think I have found something that can satisfy my sugar craving and something I wouldn't take much of

ggvertosx4uw.jpg
  • canary_girl
    canary_girl Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    After the birth of my youngest I found myself over-indulging on sweets. I lost the baby weight nursing her, then put it all back on (and more) when she weaned. I cut out all processed sugar. The cravings were gone in three days. I stopped eating processed sugar for about a year before slowly adding it back in. Now I can't eat anything too sweet and I can't eat too much of any dessert. For me, cutting sugar helped me to find some control in eating sweets.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    You might want to recheck your nutrition info.

According to this site...

http://www.sainsburys.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/gb/groceries/quaker-oat-so-simple-golden-syrup-flavour-porridge-x10-36g?langId=44&storeId=10151&krypto=Ck5VT7kXol2UneJ0TPB9klgA+TFCimSV11g14x/pV/KZEoFoiN6yfTvWouocsKTudSG/fW80/SBb cyeupEHCtteH2cEj85/v9zUaPwqcUbq2ZwY29LkmYLm36+R+brGx&ddkey=http:gb/groceries/quaker-oat-so-simple-golden-syrup-flavour-porridge-x10-36g

Sugar is the 2nd ingredient listed...

Ingredients

Quaker Wholegrain Rolled Oats (76%), Sugar, Natural Flavouring, Salt

According to the nutrition label there is 21.5g of sugar in 100g of your porridge. Complete nutrition label is about 1/2 down the page.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    whmscll wrote: »
    Cold turkey is always the way for me until I have settled into my new eating habits. A week or two usually. Then I add treats back in occasionally, as long as it fits into my weekly calorie deficit. The cravings for me usually get better after the first 2-3 days. Knowing that you're quitting just for a while and can enjoy them later in moderation works for me. Also, I loathe sugar free candy.

ETA: I'm only talking about candy, cake, etc., not all sugar and specifically not the natural sugar you get in fruit and many other foods.

thats not cold turkey then.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    fishcat123 wrote: »
    If by cutting out "sugar" you mean processed sugar rather than fruit, and it's available/affordable to you, I'd suggest getting some especially tempting, unusual fruit, maybe splurging a bit on something like papaya, raspberries, cherries, or melon. Personally, I usually buy whatever is on sale or cheapest but occasionally I like to get something a little more exciting. Fruit this time of year is sweet and also delicious, and if you're excited about eating it it might be easier to stay away from other sweets.

yes, because fruit sugar is so much better for you than regular old sugar ….*sarcasam*
  • mistikal13
    mistikal13 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    Cold turkey would be very hard, why not have a little every day?
  • jaxass
    jaxass Posts: 2,128 Member
    Options
    Is it even possible to cut out sugar completely? Besides, some sugar is not bad for you one bit.

Seems like an odd thing to do.

Good luck!
  • Swiftlet66
    Swiftlet66 Posts: 729 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Cut out added sugars (candies, sweets, cakes, anything that is boxed or man made, Etc). Indulge in lots of fruits. Fruit is high in fiber (for pooing) and in nutrients. You don't want to cut those out. Do this strictly for one month-two months. That's what I did. Now I have no cravings for sweets whatsoever and they are nonexistent in my daily diet. I don't even think about food all the time anymore. And even when I eat a piece of a cake at a party every now and then, I now find that it is too sickly sweet and usually don't finish it, not because it's high calorie but because I just don't like it anymore. Trust me, you won't miss the sweets. And if you feel you don't want sweets in your diet anymore, ignore those people who keep telling you to eat in moderation and have a little sweets every day. It's your diet, do what you like, as long as you get enough calories in.
  • Chrysalid2014
    Chrysalid2014 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    Swiftlet66 wrote: »
    Cut out added sugars (candies, sweets, cakes, anything that is boxed or man made, Etc). Indulge in lots of fruits. Fruit is high in fiber (for pooing) and in nutrients. You don't want to cut those out. Do this strictly for one month-two months. That's what I did. Now I have no cravings for sweets whatsoever and they are nonexistent in my daily diet. I don't even think about food all the time anymore. And even when I eat a piece of a cake at a party every now and then, I now find that it is too sickly sweet and usually don't finish it, not because it's high calorie but because I just don't like it anymore. Trust me, you won't miss the sweets. And if you feel you don't want sweets in your diet anymore, ignore those people who keep telling you to eat in moderation and have a little sweets every day. It's your diet, do what you like, as long as you get enough calories in.

I am not the OP but this is very inspiring. I do not want to be a slave to any daily sugar-laden 'treat' no matter how moderate, or any other food cravings for that matter. Thank you for sharing.