Sodium intake

Options
Ive been having a hard time reducing my sodium intake, if you see my diet its pretty healthy but sodium is kicking my butt and im not adding any salt to anything, so have you had the same problem and what did you do to reduce it.

Replies

• FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    Unless it's an extreme amount or you have a medical reason to limit your sodium intake I wouldn't worry about it. I drink at least 100 oz of water in a day and never look at how much sodium I take in.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    If you have been told by a doc to reduce salt, look at the items in your diary with the most sodium and skip them/eat less of them. Sodium is high in packaged foods but even whole foods have some sodium.
  • terrenceobrien1
    terrenceobrien1 Posts: 22 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I have been eating a whole foods (mostly) plant based diet for a while. It is feasible to eat fruit, veg, and beans with no added salt, but it takes a good bit of discipline to start off. I've whittled my sodium intake down to ~1,000-1500mg/day. The only food with added salt I consume is store bought almond milk.

I have noticed these past couple weeks that my palette is much more sensitive to saltiness. I can, for example, taste the salt in plant foods with naturally higher sodium like celery or beets. It is possible to reset the threshold.
  • barryplumber
    barryplumber Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Sauces and most spices are a killer on soduim i am on a 1500 mg per day diet and your right it took a lot to adjust. Spices try Mrs Dash they have a few different types and all salt free. Try to stay away from asian sauces, i still use bbq sauce well a little. Processed foods lots of soduim s on bread, ham, cheese most deli meats and the list goes on. A person with normal blood pressure they set it at 2300mg i know some people with low blood pressure and the doc tells them to eat more salt.