Electronic Scale

Options
I dont know what is wrong with my new scale, it gives me different results on the same day and in different places (i mean when i scale myself in the bathroom it gives me a certain weight at the same time if i go to my room and weight myself it gives me different result) any help!!!

Replies

• barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,779 Member
    Options
    There are two possible things happening:
    -You say "same day," but the ONLY time you will get an accurate-ish reading is first thing in the morning, post-bathroom and pre-consumption of liquids etc
    -Don't weigh in different areas. Floors are not even. I keep my scale on one tile and notice no fluctuation if I step off and on again. I move it to the next tile over and it's changed. Just keep it in one spot, assume you're a pound or two off in either direction, and don't expect accurate weights at different times of the day.
  • DaveAkeman
    DaveAkeman Posts: 296 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    How 'different' are we talking? I don't really like electronic scales for this exact reason. I've noticed that you can stand on most electronic scales 3 times in a row and get numbers that vary by a pound or so. And this is without moving anything. I think posture sometimes makes a little difference.

If you're using an electronic scale, then you need to either not weigh yourself any more than weekly, or weigh yourself a lot (at least daily) and look at some kind of average. Individual readings are just not accurate enough.

I rely on a balance beam scale. (Found it at the Goodwill for $20 several years ago!) It's incredibly repeatable. In fact, to stay motivated, I've found that I need to weigh myself every day. Every morning I set the balance beam at my previous day's weight, and I can usually see the bar move (usually about 1/4 pound a day). That's a great feeling that you just don't get with an electronic scale.
  • leslisa
    leslisa Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    Hospital/doctor's electronic scales are usually calibrated often. If not then they are generally non-electric variety of some sort as they are easier to zero.