Can't lose ANYTHING--help!!!!!!

Options
i have been at this for about 6 weeks and I have lost 0 weight. I workout 5-6 days a week (cardio & weights) and are diligent with my calorie logging. MFP says I should eat 1350 calories to lose about 1.5 lbs a week. I hover around 1000-1100 and still nothing. I've given up sugar, bread (what I wouldn't kill for a sandwich), and my Starbucks and am eating high protein foods and a ton of veggies. I feel like I'm doing everything right, but who knows. Would love any advice. Thanks!

Replies

• tudoroaks4
    tudoroaks4 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    It would help if you make your diary public. It's under Settings.
  • RebeccaD22
    RebeccaD22 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    You say "high-protein foods". Maybe you are gaining a lot of muscle? Also, take your measurements. Don't rely solely on the scale.

It is also a slow process. Though, a change should have happened within 6 weeks. I would take your measurements and make sure you are getting a balanced meal!

Good luck and whatever you do, don't quit! :)
  • megomerrett
    megomerrett Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    You are a marvel of medical science.
  • FoxyLifter
    FoxyLifter Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    Are you weighing all of your solids with a food scale?
  • Kristinemomof3
    Kristinemomof3 Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    Maybe you need to eat more, you're body might think you are starving it & holding on to the weight.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Opening your diary might help to get you more specific advice if you're comfortable doing so.

You're logging everything you eat? Including condiments, cooking oils, veggies, cheat days, etc? Are you using a food scale, measuring cups, or eyeballing your portion sizes? Most people can be off in their estimates by several hundred calories when they eyeball portions. Measuring cups are better, but a food scale is going to be the most accurate.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1234699-logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1290491-how-and-why-to-use-a-digital-food-scale

And make sure that you've calculated your calorie goals appropriately. Remember that these are just estimates. You may need to play around a little to find what works best for you.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets

If you're exercising and eating back your earned exercise calories, be sure that you're using accurate estimates of your burn. MFP and gym machines have a tendency to overestimate certain activities, which can cause you to eat back more calories than you need to. Even a heart rate monitor isn't 100% accurate. If you're eating those extra earned calories it might be a good idea to eat only 50-75% of those.

And there's something to be said for the fact that some people just burn fewer calories than the generic equations predict. If that's the case for you, you may need to adjust your calories a little lower until you start losing again.
  • LowBudgetDave
    LowBudgetDave Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    The most important thing is not to be discouraged. There are plenty of reasons why you might not lose weight quickly, but if you are eating healthy and exercising healthy, then the weight might not be a problem. There are certain medications that make it very hard to lose weight (certain heart medications, for example) because they slow your metabolism.

Also, your body might be slowing down your metabolism because it thinks you are starving. "Starvation mode" does actually exist, but it is not as big a problem as some people think. If you keep up the work, you will pass this plateau easily in a few more weeks.

It sounds like you are doing a good job cutting back on carbs, but beware of foods like potatoes and fruit. It is pretty easy to raise your insulin level even with "good" carbs, which will tell your body not to burn fat.

But if you are doing everything right, then the only key is to stick with it. Your heart will thank you.
  • FoxyLifter
    FoxyLifter Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    Maybe you need to eat more, you're body might think you are starving it & holding on to the weight.

This is false. If it were true, then how would anorexic people get so thin?

Also, you cannot build muscle while on a deficit. You may be able to get some "newbie gains" if you've just started heavy lifting, but it's not a significant amount.

And, if you have no medical issues, there's nothing wrong with eating bread, potatoes and fruit if you can fit them into your calorie goal.

I highly suggests reading the links that diannethegeek posted. Lots of good information there!