Warning-Chewing gum:The hidden calories

Options
Merkavar
Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
Hi

Below is an email I received in 2012 which for some reason I remembered today and thought I would share.
9r5i7uajtcen.jpg

Who here chews gum? Who here logs the gum in their diary? Who here swallows their gum?

This is aimed at you.

The nutritional information for chewing gum is based on chewing not eating the gum. How many calories is actually in chewing gum if we swallow? 10 calories, 1000 calories? Who knows?

What if other nutritional information is based on eating a product in a certain way? What other foods are we meant to just chew and spit out?

What other lies have we been living?

Replies

• Merkavar
    Options
    Btw I am not being serious about this being alarming.

Got to have some fun :smile:

I am being serious about gum nutritional information being based on chewing not eating.
  • hgycta
    hgycta Posts: 3,013 Member
    Options
    Hahaha I love this, thanks for putting a smile on my face!!! ;)

No wonder I gained all that weight before myfitnesspal, I had gum everyday! o:
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    LOL.

In all seriousness, I hope people aren't swallowing their gum, a girl recently died from eating a huge amount of chewing gum. They believe that the subsequent lumps of undigested gum in her gut impeded nutrient absorption.

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015/may/05/chewing-gum-role-teenagers-death-inquest
  • peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    I am really glad I absolutely abhor chewing gum so that I'm not ingesting those extra calorie ninjas.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I am really glad I absolutely abhor chewing gum so that I'm not ingesting those extra calorie ninjas.

I used to chew gum, then someone told me I looked like a cow chewing its cud. I never bought gum again. I reckon the only time I've had gum since was once when offered to see if it stopped my ears popping on take-off.
  • peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options

I used to chew gum, then someone told me I looked like a cow chewing its cud. I never bought gum again. I reckon the only time I've had gum since was once when offered to see if it stopped my ears popping on take-off.

I don't care about anyone else chewing gum, but I can't do it myself. My brain doesn't get the whole "chew, but don't swallow" concept.

I suppose I'd make someone a great wife if I were into guys.
  • Merkavar
    Options

I tend to chew after lunch etc just so my breath does smell like tuna, or before kick boxing so I'm not grappling someone a breathing Moroccan lentils over them.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    LOL.

In all seriousness, I hope people aren't swallowing their gum, a girl recently died from eating a huge amount of chewing gum. They believe that the subsequent lumps of undigested gum in her gut impeded nutrient absorption.

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015/may/05/chewing-gum-role-teenagers-death-inquest

Wow. Now they'll have to put "not intended to be swallowed" on the packs of gum. Or do they already? I have no idea. I never thought to swallow gum, except when the teachers made us when we got caught chewing.

• teanahk
    teanahk Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    That reply was way more polite than the response I got the one time I emailed a soda pop company with questions about their "natural flavoring" They basically told me they didn't legally have to answer my question so they weren't going to. :(

Looks like lots of people wonder about gum calories. These folks on reddit got a way more detailed reply https://m.reddit.com/r/explainlikeimfive/comments/26bd5w/eli5_when_it_comes_to_nutrition_facts_in_gum_are/
  • Merkavar
    Options
    LOL.

Wow. Now they'll have to put "not intended to be swallowed" on the packs of gum. Or do they already? I have no idea. I never thought to swallow gum, except when the teachers made us when we got caught chewing.

udvgvwygvn6r.jpg

Only warning I can see
  • DogRiverDude
    DogRiverDude Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I tear up 2.5 packs of Dentyne Ice Peppermint per day. Not a swallower LOL. Used to log it BUT read that chewing gum burns 11 calories per hour:
    - 30 pieces x 3 cal per piece = 90 calories (chewed)
    - 16 hours x 11 cal per hour = 176 calories burned

*** Gee, maybe I should be logging my chewing as exercise?! ;-)

• girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    This should be a sticky!!
  • Gska17
    Gska17 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Love it! :D
  • LolaKarwowski
    LolaKarwowski Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I usually only have a piece of gum if I'm my tummy is growling but I can't grab a snack or eat. For example, during church or if I'm at the park and didn't brink snacks with me. I never swallow it and yet still make sure to log it in. Those calories add up! I've learned my lesson with mints.
  • irenehb
    irenehb Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    This should be a sticky!!
    I see what you did :smiley:
    I tend to chew 1 or 2 a day and log it.

• laceyjjj
    laceyjjj Posts: 53 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I'm an ex smoker so I unabashedly chew gum. I figure this annoys people less than cigarette smoke :) I log it!