A lot to lose, everything to gain..

kpag92
kpag92 Posts: 4 Member
I'm 23 and have been overweight almost my whole life. I'm tired of not being able to keep up with my friends and loved ones. I'm tired of wondering how to keep from looking like a whale in pictures. I'm tired of feeling so uncomfortable in my own skin. I've got 100 pounds to lose and it's time to hold myself accountable AND DO IT! Hoping to find friends and supporters here because I can't seem to find any, which makes it hard. And friends want to take this journey with me? :)

Replies

• Betsey206
    Betsey206 Posts: 34 Member
    I'm here for you. I've got 70 lbs to lose. I'm taking it off slowly so I can make permanent lifestyle changes.
  • dianaramirez1220
    dianaramirez1220 Posts: 52 Member
    Hi I joined 3 days ago. I also need friends to motivate each other. I got 70 pounds to lose. Lets do this together!
  • Sorova
    Sorova Posts: 101 Member
    Welcome! I started at 265 pounds, and I'm 195 now and still going. A lot of what you're saying is very familiar to me from back when I started, except that I waited until I was 30! Do it now, and do it the healthy lasting way - no fads, no gimmicks.

Keep it simple: create a reasonable calorie deficit, which means eating less than you burn. Track your food accurately. Keep reasonably close to your macronutrient targets. Find some kind of physical activity you enjoy: I started with just walking. Get enough sleep. Find a way to keep yourself motivated. Then keep doing that for months. Don't obsess. Don't be sucked in by gimmicks. Be patient. The mental and emotional aspect of weight loss is the hardest.

And remember, there's no need to starve yourself. I have lost 70 pounds and I almost never eat less than 1700 calories a day. Most days are somewhere between 1700-2100. Because I burn 2200-2600, I lose weight. Be scientific about it. Get a reasonable estimate of how much you're burning daily, and then adjust your plan if your results suggest that your estimate is off.

This is a great guide to the basics by a guy who knows what he's talking about. Read it! community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1
  • allaboutthefood
    allaboutthefood Posts: 781 Member
    feel free to add me, that goes for all of you, I have been here for just over 100 days now, I have lost 34 lbs and still have a long way to go, but taking it slow and steady. It's about a lifestyle change not a diet, I am a very active member and like the same from my friends on here.
  • kpag92
    kpag92 Posts: 4 Member
    Thanks so much for the kind words and support! I have had relative success in the past, but struggle when my motivation gets low and no one is there to just say "you can do it, keep going" because sometimes that's all you need. I'm excited to see how we all do! :)