Fruits are making my carbs go over

Options
2»

Replies

• sylkates
    sylkates Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I don't care about the carb macro. As long as I don't have way too much sugar and feel full while still under my calorie goal, I'm happy.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    What's your carb goal? How much protein and fat are you getting?

I don't think carb % matters much, except if you aren't getting enough of other things you need, which would include protein and healthy fats. I also personally think it's healthier to focus more on vegetables than fruit, but I love fruit too and think most people likely don't have to worry about limiting it. Being over on carbs when under calories does make me wonder if you are eating enough other things, though, especially if you are at a low calorie level.
  • kthompson601
    kthompson601 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    This is strictly my opinion and my experience: As long as you are under your calorie goal, you shouldn't have a problem. I have lost more than 112 pounds while eating fruit at nearly every meal (fruit smoothie for breakfast, apple or pear with lunch, and some grapes or orange with my dinner). I am always over on carbs and sugar, but under on calories, and have lost tons of weight, so clearly it isn't an issue for me. If you have some underlying chronic health issue, or if you are shooting for a certain body composition (like really working on toning or bulking), then I wouldn't worry about it.

You like fruit. It fits into your calories. Are you still losing weight? Then keep eating fruit.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    unless you are diabetic or have another medical reason to reduce sugar/ carbs, there is no reason to. As long as you are within your calorie goals, you will be fine.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Nero thread from 9 months ago.
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    thanky28 wrote: »
    if you need help with carb cycle, hit me up!

lol
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    No need to worry about carbs to lose weight. Ive lost 72#, and have never once focused on my carb # or limited carbs consciously.

As long as you are under your calorie goal (in a calorie deficit), you will lose weight. Even uf you eat 100% o your calories as high carb foods. You can lose weigt eating nothing but banannas and pasta. Sure....your body NEEDS other nutrients for nutrition....but for weight loss...all that matters is a calorie deficit.
  • Tmeka79
    Tmeka79 Posts: 1 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    5 a day refers to 3 veggies 2 fruit. Fruit is sugar your body doesn't recognize it from sugar in a bowl! There is more nutritional value in fruit such as fiber and vitamins so that's why it's recommended over processed sugar. You really don't need more than 2-2.5 servings of fruit a day.
  • TheLittleRedHairedGirl
    Options
    Try eating 1/2 cup of frozen grapes, or greek yogurt. There's always air popped popcorn.
  • wilsoncl6
    wilsoncl6 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Minding the macros so much should only be a concern if you're trying to achieve some particular goal, i.e. fitness competitor or bodybuilder. Otherwise, just stay under your caloric intake. Granted, my two cents is to eat more nutrient dense foods such as proteins and fiber loaded goodies. That will keep you filling fuller longer because they're harder to break down and process but it also depends on what your exercise regimen looks like. If you're doing a lot of cardio, you're going to need the carbs to perform and the proteins for recovery. Maybe you can just stay away from the fruits that are easily broken down into sugars or instead of eating fruit, snack on nuts and protein sources.
  • musicfan68
    musicfan68 Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    Bananas are the worst fruit you can eat, and one banana is usually listed as 2 servings, so if you're eating 3 a day, that is 6 servings of fruit. I would replace it with a better fruit, and eat 2 servings instead of 6. I generally don't even eat fruit. I get enough sugar and carbs in other things.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Eating 300 - 600 calories of bananas in a day seems like you're spending a lot of calories on fruit when you could be eating something more filling. You say you're hungry after your meals - have you tried eating more proteins, fiber and fats with your meals? I like bananas but don't find them very filling and wouldn't eat more than one per day.
  • 6pkdreamer
    6pkdreamer Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    See todays Blog on MFP why sugar is bad for weight loss should put things in prospective. Does distinguish between fruits and sugar. My basic observation is typically an overweight person chopping on apple more likely a soda in hand.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    The most filling macros for me are Protein, followed closely by fat. Carbs.. Don't particularly satisfy me and always leave me hungry. So a day filled with mostly fruit would inevitably lead me to overeat.

Fruit is great, but try to find a balance. Don't overdo carbs/sugar at the expense of protein and fat.
  • Pinkylee77
    Pinkylee77 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Neondays wrote: »
    I've been told to focus more on your calories and not so much counting carbs

exactly!
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    tamicoil1 wrote: »
    Bananas are the worst fruit you can eat, and one banana is usually listed as 2 servings, so if you're eating 3 a day, that is 6 servings of fruit. I would replace it with a better fruit, and eat 2 servings instead of 6. I generally don't even eat fruit. I get enough sugar and carbs in other things.

What criteria are you using to determine which fruit is the "worst"?
  • MsBuzzkillington
    MsBuzzkillington Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Maybe the the worst as in, they are relatively small and have as many carbs/calories that qualify it as two fruits. So it's basically eating two fruits in a smaller size?
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    @Sher0712 like @georgia313 I had to give up bananas to keep my gross carbs <50 grams daily for joint and muscle pain management. Eating <50 grams of carbs daily after only 30 days cut out the need to start Enbrel injections so 18 months later I am still eating < 50 grams of carbs most days to keep the pain away.

Some can not image cutting out the carbs from sugar and grains like I did and may have not reason to do so. The side effects were huge in my case. Losing 50 pounds and it is staying off without dieting beyond keeping the carbs <50 grams daily is awesome but not as awesome as my 40 years of life defining IBS being cured. I keep doing because just the pain management is enough to stay off the carb wagon.
  • musicfan68
    musicfan68 Posts: 1,136 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    tamicoil1 wrote: »

What criteria are you using to determine which fruit is the "worst"?

Bananas have the most sugar and therefore carbs of all fruit that I have found. My mother is diabetic and loves bananas. Doctor told her not to eat them because of the sugar/carbs. They are better spent on other foods. I don't eat fruit for the most part, because of the sugar, unless I have an upset stomach and have to eat soft foods.