How often are you working out?

Options
There are so many different opinions on what exercise and how much exercise it best for weight loss and overall fitness, and so I'm confused as to whether or not I'm doing enough or doing the right kind of thing. Any feedback, suggestions or insight into what is working for others would be very welcome.

Current routine: 4 days workout and 3 days rest

Monday - hour cardio and hour weights
Tuesday- rest
Wednesday- hour weights
Thursday- hour cardio and hour yoga/pilates
Friday- rest
Saturday- hour weights and hour yoga/pilates
Sunday- rest and occasionally swim.

Replies

• leahcollett1
    leahcollett1 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    id say thats plenty i only zumba 3 x times a week with the odd walk in between. ive lost 2.5 stone doing this - one question do you eat your excercise cals?
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    I walk about eight miles a day and lift three times a week and will be switching to four times a week before too long.

It looks to me like you're doing enough if you think it's enough.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    I aim for five days a week with each day being 80-90 minutes.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    6 days a week....

4 days lifting, 3 days running and if I am not running I am walking..

Wednesday is my "rest day"...but I suspect it will be like any other day with over 12k steps...
  • kjm3579
    kjm3579 Posts: 3,975 Member
    Options
    That looks like a great schedule, just be sure to progress on your exercises whenever possible.
  • annavalente
    annavalente Posts: 119 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Typically I do strength and cardio 3 to 4 times a week normally lasting 75 mins (apart from the last 2 weeks as ive my exams tomorrow!)

eta ..this has been my schedule for around 2 years! (360 day streak in mfp though)
  • tiddles_yeah
    tiddles_yeah Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Twice a day
    Strength and conditioning in the morning (ie about an hour of weights)
    2ish hours of skill training for martial arts in the evening (except Sundays when my dojo is closed)
  • clafairy1984
    clafairy1984 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I eat about half of my workout calories back
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Per week I run twice, swim once, I use the gym twice - once for upper body and core resistance work, and once for lower body lifts. I use the elliptical or rower on both visits as well.

But if I'm sick/really busy/need more rest I will scale back, using by combining the gym visits into one and focusing just on weights, or getting rid of the swimming.

On the rest days I will make sure to do some stretching.
  • RHachicho
    RHachicho Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    When it comes to exercise individual mileage varies a lot. Especially when you consider how intense your workouts are. If you're workouts are draining grueling slogfests that leave you sore and aching it probably isn't a good idea to do them every day. However if you are only putting in the time to make sure you don't lose fitness then you can probably do that as a regular daily thing. In general the body will respond to what you ask it to do provided it is not unreasonable. Learn to listen to your body. And I don't mean that can't be bothered feeling. If after putting in all that willpower you still can't muster yesterdays performance then your body probably hasn't recovered. Learn from that. For me I do an hour of lifting 3 times a week mon/wed/fri and I run 5k on tues/thur and 10k sat/sun. This for me is challenging without going overboard. To some people this will sound like a lot ... to others not so much.

It's about finding where YOU are no one can really tell you exactly how much to do.
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    Cardio-6x plus a long walk on my "rest day".
    Strength-3x.
  • Nene710
    Nene710 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    7 days a week... Typically running and/or kickboxing.
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    I work out 6 days a week with one day full rest - only normal daily activities and no intentional exercise. I do vary the intensity on my 6 days. I have a few heavy workout days with lots of cardio and the rest are lighter cardio and strength. I like to be active.

I do hike once a week or so and consider that a heavy cardio and strength day since it's a lot of uphill/downhill rocky for 6+ miles and my legs and arms/back (carrying heavy) get more sore from that than anything else I do. Rest day is always the next day. :p
  • irsyadnh
    irsyadnh Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    My routines is 5 day exercise 2 day rest day, but usually my friends invite me to play football/soccer that I can't resist on Sunday, yet it was my rest day schedule.

Maybe you can try HIIT (High-Intensity Interval Training), usually for cardio I go HIIT (You can use HIIT for weight too). HIIT is good for improve condition and fat burning. There is lot of reference about it.
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    4 hard days and two just normal activity days of walking etc. one totally rest day
  • serasmommy
    serasmommy Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Just to throw this out there, I'm only working out at my job, I'm a waitress. That's it. And losing weight!
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    During my active weight loss phase I did no exercise at all and just focused on eating at a calorie deficit. Since transitioning into maintenance a couple years ago I've done exercise on and off, depending on the season/my mood etc.

My current, summer routine is-
    -brisk walk, 3 times a week (2 miles a time)
    -Nerd Fitness Beginner's Body-Weight Strength Training circuit, 3 times a week (20 minutes a session)
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    irsyadnh wrote: »
    My routines is 5 day exercise 2 day rest day, but usually my friends invite me to play football/soccer that I can't resist on Sunday, yet it was my rest day schedule.

Maybe you can try HIIT (High-Intensity Interval Training), usually for cardio I go HIIT (You can use HIIT for weight too). HIIT is good for improve condition and fat burning. There is lot of reference about it.

I love HIIT!!!!

It was kicking my butt the first month though. I only do 2-3 days of it a week.

• Gska17
    Gska17 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    2/3 days of C25K per week. That's all I've been doing since February. This winter I plan on a weights/cardio combo.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    I tend to do some sort of physical exercise everyday only because I really really really really really really like to eat.