Ideal Weight Calculator?

Options
I've lost over forty lbs so far and was looking to re-evaluate my goals to figure out how much more I might need to lose. So I googled "ideal weight calculator" and went to this site:

http://www.calculator.net/ideal-weight-calculator.html

I input my age, sex and height and this is what it calculated for me:

Result
Based on the Robinson formula (1983), your ideal weight is 149.3 lbs
Based on the Miller formula (1983), your ideal weight is 150.0 lbs
Based on the Devine formula (1974), your ideal weight is 156.1 lbs
Based on the Hamwi formula (1964), your ideal weight is 153.7 lbs
Based on the healthy BMI recommendation, your recommended weight is 132.6 lbs - 179.2 lbs

The only one I recognize is BMI, but the range is huge. Not saying this is necessarily a bad thing, and once I get into that range I plan to reassess and decide what to do based on how I look and feel.

But can anyone please explain who these other people are and which one of their formulas is most realistic?

Thanks in advance. <3

Replies

• TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I don't know who these people are, but it looks like that all have similar ideas about what your ideal weight is. Unfortunately, there are more factors involved than age, sex, and height to determine what is your ideal weight.

Edited to add: The Hamwi formula is the only one that comes even close to my ideal weight. At 6'5", being under 200 lbs doesn't work well and certainly not 176 lbs.
  • DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    I don't think any of them are really likely to be the most realistic - everyone's different and your ideal weight won't be perfectly estimated by a generic forumla, and that's assuming that people even have an 'ideal weight', which I don't personally think is true.

If you get down to 160lbs and are happy with how you look and feel, then I don't think you should force yourself to lose another 10lbs just to fit in with some (most likely outdated) forumlas. And even if you want to go by them, you should consider your goal a range anyway (since people fluctuate everyday), so you could just consider the answers as a range from 150 to 156.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    The Miller one gives me the highest weight, which is actually the lowest I plan to go. But like Timothy said, it doesn't account for frame size, muscle mass, etc.
  • girlschmoopie
    girlschmoopie Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Interesting site. I noticed that when I played with the age in the formula, the numbers never changed, whether I entered 21, 55, or 90 for age. I wonder why they even bother asking age?
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    Based on the Robinson formula (1983), your ideal weight is 202.6 lbs
    Based on the Miller formula (1983), your ideal weight is 189.2 lbs
    Based on the Devine formula (1974), your ideal weight is 216.7 lbs
    Based on the Hamwi formula (1964), your ideal weight is 230.8 lbs
    Based on the healthy BMI recommendation, your recommended weight is 172.6 lbs - 233.3 lbs

I'm currently 224-225. The idea that I could lose another 47.8 pounds and be a healthy weight according to BMI tells me, again, that BMI is batcrap crazy.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    based on my results this is hilarious

Based on the Robinson formula (1983), your ideal weight is 141.9 lbs
    Based on the Miller formula (1983), your ideal weight is 144.1 lbs
    Based on the Devine formula (1974), your ideal weight is 143.2 lbs
    Based on the Hamwi formula (1964), your ideal weight is 144.5 lbs
    Based on the healthy BMI recommendation, your recommended weight is 116.4 lbs - 157.2 lbs

at 220 lb I had 155 lb pounds of LBM. I don't want that number getting lower and I actually want that number to increase. So all those ideals weights are for what people who don't lift. BMI we already know is for people who don't lift.

I won't be following that site.
  • kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    These are mine:

Based on the Robinson formula (1983), your ideal weight is 149.3 lbs
    Based on the Miller formula (1983), your ideal weight is 150.0 lbs
    Based on the Devine formula (1974), your ideal weight is 156.1 lbs
    Based on the Hamwi formula (1964), your ideal weight is 153.7 lbs
    Based on the healthy BMI recommendation, your recommended weight is 132.6 lbs - 179.2 lbs

OP, I think we might be the same person...LOL. Today I was 149 and I'm very happy with my weight. The lowest I got was 147. 5'11, 36 years old. I'm in maintenance and I don't log. I've decided that I will weigh in once a week, eat the same way I ate to lose the weight with a few added goodies, and if the number on the scale gets to 152 I will start logging again to get a handle on it.
  • JessicaThompson12
    JessicaThompson12 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Based on the Robinson formula (1983), your ideal weight is 119.3 lbs
    Based on the Miller formula (1983), your ideal weight is 126.1 lbs
    Based on the Devine formula (1974), your ideal weight is 115.5 lbs
    Based on the Hamwi formula (1964), your ideal weight is 114.9 lbs
    Based on the healthy BMI recommendation, your recommended weight is 104.4 lbs - 141.1 lbs
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    These are mine:
    Based on the Robinson formula (1983), your ideal weight is 134.3 lbs
    Based on the Miller formula (1983), your ideal weight is 138.1 lbs
    Based on the Devine formula (1974), your ideal weight is 135.8 lbs
    Based on the Hamwi formula (1964), your ideal weight is 134.3 lbs
    Based on the healthy BMI recommendation, your recommended weight is 118.1 lbs - 159.6 lbs

I have been under 140 lb. once in my adult life and I looked emaciated. I am square framed with long bones so I have broad shoulders and hips, a wide rib cage, etc. (aka "big boned") so I look best with a little meat on me. My current goal is 160, which is the top of the BMI range and I will evaluate when I get there. I looked my best at 150 but I also was 30 years younger and everything was tight, not loose and wobbly like it is now (for example, I was a C cup but now I am an I and no, I do not have implants).
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    OP, I think we might be the same person...LOL. Today I was 149 and I'm very happy with my weight. The lowest I got was 147. 5'11, 36 years old.

I'm female, 5'11, too, but I'm 60. I wonder why they ask your age if it doesn't seem to matter?
  • NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner
    NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Based on the Robinson formula (1983), your ideal weight is 115.5 lbs
    Based on the Miller formula (1983), your ideal weight is 123.1 lbs
    Based on the Devine formula (1974), your ideal weight is 110.5 lbs
    Based on the Hamwi formula (1964), your ideal weight is 110.0 lbs
    Based on the healthy BMI recommendation, your recommended weight is 101.1 lbs - 136.7 lbs

Yeah... No.

At 110 - 115 I'd look gaunt and bony. Not in a million years. I want to be 140. I don't care if I'm slightly over the healthy BMI. I'd rather be where I'm comfortable than have a tiny weight to try and maintain for forever.
  • snickerscharlie
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    These are mine:
    Based on the Robinson formula (1983), your ideal weight is 134.3 lbs
    Based on the Miller formula (1983), your ideal weight is 138.1 lbs
    Based on the Devine formula (1974), your ideal weight is 135.8 lbs
    Based on the Hamwi formula (1964), your ideal weight is 134.3 lbs
    Based on the healthy BMI recommendation, your recommended weight is 118.1 lbs - 159.6 lbs

I have been under 140 lb. once in my adult life and I looked emaciated. I am square framed with long bones so I have broad shoulders and hips, a wide rib cage, etc. (aka "big boned") so I look best with a little meat on me. My current goal is 160, which is the top of the BMI range and I will evaluate when I get there. I looked my best at 150 but I also was 30 years younger and everything was tight, not loose and wobbly like it is now.

My main goal is to get under 180, which is at the top of the BMI normal range for a female of my height. I guess I'll just see how I look and feel once I get there, and re-evaluate my goals at that point.

Thanks for your input, guys. It's appreciated.
  • smboitnott87
    smboitnott87 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Based on the Robinson formula (1983), your ideal weight is 126.8 lbs
    Based on the Miller formula (1983), your ideal weight is 132.1 lbs
    Based on the Devine formula (1974), your ideal weight is 125.7 lbs
    Based on the Hamwi formula (1964), your ideal weight is 124.6 lbs
    Based on the healthy BMI recommendation, your recommended weight is 111.2 lbs - 150.2 lbs
  • kristen6350
    Options
    OP, I think we might be the same person...LOL. Today I was 149 and I'm very happy with my weight. The lowest I got was 147. 5'11, 36 years old.

I'm female, 5'11, too, but I'm 60. I wonder why they ask your age if it doesn't seem to matter?

That's strange. But I wonder if age really matters. You'd think someone of 5'11, female, would have at least the same healthy BMI range, no matter what age you are.

But honestly, you'll know when you are at your appropriate weight. Some people feel great at the top of their BMI, I didn't. I started at 190, which was only 10lbs over weight and wore a 16. I wasn't happy about that. I got to about 145, then figured that was too light and gave myself a pass and didn't worry about it for 1 year. After a year I was back up to 167 and felt like poop. At 150ish I wear a 6/8 and feel really good. But I know that if I'm restricted forever to stay "thin" I'll be miserable so I'll keep doing the things I learned to get the weight off and not worry about the slip ups I'll stay sane and feel good.

If you ask most women that are 5'11 you'll notice that their "happy weight" range is somewhere between 145 & 160. So lower, some higher. It honestly depends on your goals.

• snickerscharlie
    edited June 2015
    Options

That's strange. But I wonder if age really matters. You'd think someone of 5'11, female, would have at least the same healthy BMI range, no matter what age you are.

I hoped that by asking the age it would cut us old dolls some slack, seeing as how being post-menopausal and having great metabolism seems rarer than a virgin in a whorehouse. ;)
  • cc3833
    cc3833 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    It would only give me my BMI LOL!!! I am 5'0 and 25 years old (CW:155 lbs). And when I pressed calculate it just listed BMI...

Based on the healthy BMI recommendation, your recommended weight is 94.7 lbs - 128.0 lbs

And personally my goal weight is between 130-135 lbs. I ride horses 3-4 times a week and I lift weigths 3 times a week. The lowest weight I was, was in highschool 14 years old 125 lbs but I didn't exercise at all sooo fat skinny. And my doctor told me I was borderline too thin for my frame.

Question: I was told that if you are under 5'2-5'3 BMI isn't as accurate... Any thoughts?
  • NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner
    NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    cc3833 wrote: »
    It would only give me my BMI LOL!!! I am 5'0 and 25 years old (CW:155 lbs). And when I pressed calculate it just listed BMI...

Based on the healthy BMI recommendation, your recommended weight is 94.7 lbs - 128.0 lbs

And personally my goal weight is between 130-135 lbs. I ride horses 3-4 times a week and I lift weigths 3 times a week. The lowest weight I was, was in highschool 14 years old 125 lbs but I didn't exercise at all sooo fat skinny. And my doctor told me I was borderline too thin for my frame.

Question: I was told that if you are under 5'2-5'3 BMI isn't as accurate... Any thoughts?

I'm 5ft2 and it expects me to get to 110lbs. My skeleton weighs 45 stone alone :lol: hahahahaha
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    Well, I think it might be right for some but not all. It's going to vary a lot depending on your build, LBM, and body fat.

I ran my numbers, this is what I got:
    Based on the Robinson formula (1983), your ideal weight is 138.0 lbs
    Based on the Miller formula (1983), your ideal weight is 141.1 lbs
    Based on the Devine formula (1974), your ideal weight is 140.9 lbs
    Based on the Hamwi formula (1964), your ideal weight is 139.1 lbs
    Based on the healthy BMI recommendation, your recommended weight is 121.7 lbs - 164.4 lbs

The fact that I have 130 pounds of lean body mass (per my last BodPod scan), I would have to have 6-8% body fat to fit into any of the formulas provided. To fit into the BMI recommendation, I could have a max BF of 20%. As a female, the 20% is obtainable, the 6-8% most likely is not.
  • kristen6350
    Options

I hoped that by asking the age it would cut us old dolls some slack, seeing as how being post-menopausal and having great metabolism seems rarer than a virgin in a whorehouse. ;)

Yeah. The reason I sought out MFP in the first place is that my "metabolism" that I was quite used to in my 20's slowed to a creeping halt at 32 and things had to be done. I honestly don't know what I'll feel like my "Happy Weight" will be when I'm 60.

My mom is losing weight too and said, at 61, she'll be happy with a weight at the top of her BMI. All she's aiming for is health. After a cancer scare 8 years ago, she's just happy to be alive!