Extreme Weight Loss and Gaining Muscle

Options
On "Extreme Weight Loss" last night, one of the clients lost a tremendous amount of weight in six months, but when consulting with the doctor, it was discovered that she had also added seven pounds of muscle.

Thoughts?

Replies

• IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    How heavy was the person and how many calories did they eat per day?

Sometimes I think these 'Weight loss shows' are completely stupid, they put people on stupidly high deficits and they end up skinny fat or in this case, losing large amounts of muscle.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    define "a tremendous amount of weight" and what other factors were there?

Exercise? starting weight? were they lifting? watching macros? How was this muscle gain measured?

It is known that if an obese person starts a progressive load lifting program that they can gain muscle...but 7lbs in 6 months for a woman??????? hmmm

• DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options

Sometimes I think these 'Weight loss shows' are completely stupid, they put people on stupidly high deficits and they end up skinny fat or in this case, losing large amounts of muscle.

Didn't he say she'd gained seven pounds of muscle? Which usually is considered impossible if you're in a deficit.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options

I don't recall the exact figures, but I think she started at over 300 lbs and ended up at 210. She was six feet tall.

But I think you misread my post. She didn't lose muscle, she gained seven pounds of muscle.
  • nicolen160
    nicolen160 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I love this show and was shocked by that last night too! I am 6 ft tall like the girl was and started at 302lbs and I am down to 180 but I think she looked so much better than I do and she weighed more, and I know it's because of the muscle. I wish that show would give more details on what they are eating and what exercises are being done, I thinking that would help the general public more to know what to do in their lives.
  • SezxyStef
    Options

Didn't he say she'd gained seven pounds of muscle? Which usually is considered impossible if you're in a deficit.

not so much there are times when muscle gain can happen in a deficit.

Teen age boys, obese individuals and new lifters...

• DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »

Yeah, which is why I said usually :P Just saying that it's often pointed out round here that most people can't gain muscle in a deficit, which is what (I assume) is the point of this post.
  • isulo_kura
    isulo_kura Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    On "Extreme Weight Loss" last night, one of the clients lost a tremendous amount of weight in six months, but when consulting with the doctor, it was discovered that she had also added seven pounds of muscle.

Thoughts?

Just because they said it doesn't mean it was true. Did the measure muscle mass before they lost weight and after? If they did How did they measure body composition?.
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options

Hahaha

Oh dear

I didn't read what he said properly. My bad. :s

I'm a bit confused on how they gained 7lb's of muscle whilst in a deficit though... unless its not as black and white as that?
  • ruggedshutter
    ruggedshutter Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I'm a bit confused on the whole no muscle gain while in a deficit. If I take my own measurements for example, I've gained almost 7 pounds of LBM. Is all of that muscle? Of course not but how much of it is muscle? My current BF% was also confirmed via impedance measurements and was within 0.5% of calculated with cloth tape measurements. Any clues? Perhaps they used the same method and just assumed it was all muscle gained.

My stats:
    SW: 207
    CW: 179
    Starting Waist (at navel): 40 inch
    Current Waist (at navel): 35.5 inch

Starting BF: 30%
    Current BF: 21%

Calculated LBM: 134.5 lbs
    Current LBM: 141.2 lbs
    Delta LBM: +6.7 lbs
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    isulo_kura wrote: »

Thoughts?

Just because they said it doesn't mean it was true. Did the measure muscle mass before they lost weight and after? If they did How did they measure body composition?.

Yes, it is possible that a doctor who is working for the University of Colorado's Anschutz Health and Wellness Center would go on national television and lie about the results. But generally, I wouldn't expect that because universities tend to fire people for that kind of thing.
  • SezxyStef
    Options

Thoughts?

Yes, it is possible that a doctor who is working for the University of Colorado's Anschutz Health and Wellness Center would go on national television and lie about the results. But generally, I wouldn't expect that because universities tend to fire people for that kind of thing.

My question is this...was it 7lbs of LBM (which is not all muscle) and how was the Body fat measured?

Without all the information this assertion is at best misleading and at worst a total fabrication using bad science to back it up.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options

Thoughts?

According to their web site the use the Bod Pod Test and the Dexa Scan for determining body composition.

http://www.anschutzwellness.com/wellness-services/body-composition

• suruda
    suruda Posts: 1,233 Member
    Options
    I like the show as well but I wish they would show more of their eating plans AND how their skin removal surgery goes. They don't ever show the agony of recovering from a surgery like that.
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    Annie_01 wrote: »

Thoughts?

According to their web site the use the Bod Pod Test and the Dexa Scan for determining body composition.

http://www.anschutzwellness.com/wellness-services/body-composition

bod pod can be off by percentages..dexa okay but can be off a bit as well...nothing is perfect of course...

But again...the LBM gain...did they say Muscle or LBM...as LBM accounts for all in the body except fat...hydration, organ weight etc.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »

Yeah, which is why I said usually :P Just saying that it's often pointed out round here that most people can't gain muscle in a deficit, which is what (I assume) is the point of this post.

Tbf its often pointed out that newbie gains for obese people are possible, but they are finite.
  • lastspen
    lastspen Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I guess I'm confused...I would imagine that if you go from a sedentary lifestyle to working out everyday that muscle gain would happen. I'm more surprised that it wasn't more than just seven pounds.
  • KombuchaCat
    KombuchaCat Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    Let's see how she is in a year when she's gained everything she lost back and then some because this sort of dieting is unsustainable.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    It was probably possible. If

Thoughts?

Which client was it? The male or the female. I only saw about 5-10 min last night and it was of the female, but she was extremely obese at the start (350lbs ?), and was a returning athlete (was a D1 basketball player). I could see that client like that put 7lbs of muscle on.
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    lastspen wrote: »
    I guess I'm confused...I would imagine that if you go from a sedentary lifestyle to working out everyday that muscle gain would happen. I'm more surprised that it wasn't more than just seven pounds.

muscle gain doesn't happen from "working out" it comes from building them...and like everything else you can't build something from nothing. You need to typically be eating a lot of food (over maintenance), with lots of protein and doing a progressive load lifting program...and have enough testosterone in your system to aid in that building. That is why it is easier for men to build muscles...as a woman to gain 7lbs of muscle in 6 months is really well...I've never heard of it to be frank...1lb a month is great and amazing for a woman doing everything almost perfectly.