weight loss and breastfeeding?

Options
Hi folks

Back on here after over a year. Was almost at my goal weight and then got pregnant and had my beautiful daughter 3 weeks ago and have been left with the extra weight now. I am breastfeeding so my aim is to not drop my calories too low. Anyone else in the same position?

Replies

• ilsabeauchamp
    ilsabeauchamp Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I am! My DD is 2 months next week. Right now I'm aiming for around 2000 calories a day while limiting my sugar and seriously upping my protein and veggie intake.
  • mrseelmerfudd
    mrseelmerfudd Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    thanks for the reply. have you found you are losing by sticking to 2000 calories?
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Eat as you would at maintenance, ignoring breastfeeding completely. It will give you enough calories to not get tired or lose your supply and it will help weight come off, as breastfeeding burns enough calories. If you exercise, make sure to eat exercise calories back.
  • yodabalboa29
    yodabalboa29 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm finding it confusing to be honest. I'm almost 3 months pp and have mine set at lose .5kg a week. I haven't noticed a drop in supply (baby feeds as usually, still have times I get engorged etc). I don't own a scale so I weigh myself at my MIL when we go for dinner on the weekend. I was doing decent, losing 1lb a week for about 4 weeks then I gained 1lb and I have no idea how. My husband says I'm probably just working fat into muscle and not to worry about it, but I do. I need to see that scale move in the opposite direction :(
  • KirstenAF
    KirstenAF Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Hi there :)
    It's different for everyone,
    I lost about 10kgs in the first 2 months or so, no exercise, lots of water (About 4litres, eating normally)
    Everyone was actually worried as I was deathly pale and losing weight so fast.
    And then it stopped and I maintained my weight breastfeeding until this year March.
    I stopped day feeds, and be careful! I gained 10kgs because I was so used to eating what I wanted, so now I'm in a crazy fitness frenzy trying to get back to where I was :)
    Breastfeeding is amazing to both you and your baby! Eat normally, trust me you should be fine!
  • yodabalboa29
    yodabalboa29 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to update from my last reply. Went to the Drs on Thursday and not only did I lose that 1lb I gained but I had lost 4lbs more! So it IS working lol. Just eating better and walking.
    Almost 3months pp and 5lbs away from pre-pregnancy weight. Still need to lose a lot more, but for now I'll try to just keep doing what I'm doing.
    How's it working for you so far?