How far do you commute to the gym?

Options
Mine is about 15 minutes from home each way. There are closer gyms but the equipment isn't great and the environment not to my liking either. I wish there was a decent gym closer to me.

I wanted to go in the mornings but the 30min it would take me to get there and back is a huge factor in the amount of time I have before work.

How far is your commute? Does that deter you from going as often as you would like?

Replies

• Fitwarrior7_Round_2
    Fitwarrior7_Round_2 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    30 minutes and I go in the morning as you mentioned. I guess you could consider it on my way to work.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Like four minutes? It's down the street, and the only reason I drive it instead of walk is because it's a two-lane, hilly road with no sidewalks.
  • icck
    icck Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    It's a 5 min walk each way, which is ideal. It's also right next to the shopping centre/mall so it's common for me to go there via the gym.

There are bigger and nicer gyms a longer walking distance from where I live but this one is 24hr, cheap, and has everything I want to use.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    8 miles...time depends on traffic. I go to the gym on Mondays and Wednesdays after work; it is on the way home. I also go Saturday morning and I usually ride my bike to and from as it is a pretty nice ride.
  • yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    Used to be 8-10 minutes but I moved to the other side of the cities and now there's one about 3 minutes away.
  • Amberonamission
    Amberonamission Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    2 traffic lights away. It just opened this weekend. I've been having the best time.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I mostly use my home gym. The gym gym that I go to is about 8 miles away and takes me 15 minutes or so to get there. When I go, it's before work and is about a tenth of a mile from my work so it's not out of the way. The only other time I go is when my daughter has swimming lessons at the same place. It's very convenient.
  • jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    One flight of stairs (treadmill and weights in my basement).
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    There are no gyms within 8 miles of my house, or good ones on the drive to/from work, so I joined the one at work. It's not only cheap ($50 a year plus another $20 for a locker) it has tons of equipment in great repair and different classes all day long.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    10-15 minutes to the gym right after work.
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    5 minutes drive from my house. On my commute back from work I have to pass my house to get to the gym, but it's such a tiny extra distance it's not a problem.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    Basement gym, 30-40 minutes from my dance studios, depending on traffic.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I walk from my office to the company gym. Takes about 2 minutes.
    Or I go to Golds which is about 1/2 mile from my house.
  • North44
    North44 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    My YMCA is just a couple miles away.
  • alyhuggan
    alyhuggan Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    While at Uni: 40 minute walk each way
    During holidays: 10 second walk to my garage
  • tudoroaks4
    tudoroaks4 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    My gym is 2 miles from my house. Close enough that I can walk or ride my bike.

I've also thought about getting a membership to the downtown Y to use over my lunch hour. It's about 6 blocks from my office. It would take long enough to walk there and back that I'm on the fence about whether it would be worth it.
  • tmoser512
    tmoser512 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    30 minutes. But I actually go which is a big difference than 5 minutes away and not going :smile:
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    2 miles from home and 5 miles from work for my main gym. If I swim, its about a half mile from work.
  • mordant57
    mordant57 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Maybe 5 mins if I hit every light? I'm lucky in that a beautiful new gym with fantastic equipment recently opened right down the road!
  • colors_fade
    colors_fade Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    15 minutes driving on a highway. Small towns, so not much town driving.