Seeking: Someone who will tell it like it is

Options
srazamora
srazamora Posts: 4,126 Member
edited June 2015 in Motivation and Support
I don't need a fitness pal who will just give me a "Like" when they see I've checked in a couple days in a row. I need someone who crosses the line if necessary, who asks the tough questions like "Why exactly did you think it was okay to eat cake for breakfast?" or "Do you think by not logging your foods, you won't get any of their calories?"; and picks apart my eating and nutrition habits. I need you to tell me the truth, ESPECIALLY when I don't want to hear it.

And I want to be that person for you!

Let's quit making excuses and start keeping each other accountable!

Who's with me??

Replies

• jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    lol! I don't know if I can be that person, but I admire your guts!
  • srazamora
    edited June 2015
    Options
    @jaga13 I assure you, my gut is not to be admired!! :p
  • jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    bhahahaha!
  • srazamora
    Options
    Not YET, anyway!! ;) Also, a sense of humor is required for this fitness pal position!
  • Elliewebber
    Elliewebber Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Sounds like what I'm looking for too !!!
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    Why do you need such tactics?
  • Charlie003
    Charlie003 Posts: 1,333 Member
    Options
    That was funny. feel free to look at my profile. If it is for you, then friend me. I myself, am easy going.
  • csman49
    csman49 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    i can be brutally honest.
  • keeshadaniels
    keeshadaniels Posts: 2 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I love this idea! I have the craziest weight fluctuations, i lost 50 gained 20 and now im ready to kick my *kitten* back into gear and be the me i want to be! I would love to be that reinforcer for you! And you for me! Wanna kill it together!?!? :#
  • thisdamselflies
    thisdamselflies Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Um, yes please! I would love a friend who actually looks at what I log (or don't log) and says something about it instead of just liking my updates! I can commit to checking in on you at least once a day, and I would love it if you'd do the same.
  • Sorova
    Sorova Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Social support is great, but remember that just having people pester you is not going to solve the underlying problems. If you're making bad eating choices (cake for breakfast, for example) the important thing is to understand why you're doing that and address it. Maybe you're starving yourself and it's leading to cravings/binging. Or maybe you have some emotional eating issues you need to work on. Or maybe you just need to be more organized with meal planning, learn to cook healthy foods, and make sure a sensible choice is always conveniently available.

The "boot camp/iron willpower/no mercy" approach works for a while, but I've never met anyone who can sustain it forever. If you don't solve the underlying problems, you'll just regain the weight as soon as nobody is yelling at you about it. The people who succeed in weight loss (and maintenance) are the ones who find ways to make it sustainable and enjoyable.
  • srazamora
    Options
    Sorova wrote: »
    Social support is great, but remember that just having people pester you is not going to solve the underlying problems. If you're making bad eating choices (cake for breakfast, for example) the important thing is to understand why you're doing that and address it. Maybe you're starving yourself and it's leading to cravings/binging. Or maybe you have some emotional eating issues you need to work on. Or maybe you just need to be more organized with meal planning, learn to cook healthy foods, and make sure a sensible choice is always conveniently available.

The "boot camp/iron willpower/no mercy" approach works for a while, but I've never met anyone who can sustain it forever. If you don't solve the underlying problems, you'll just regain the weight as soon as nobody is yelling at you about it. The people who succeed in weight loss (and maintenance) are the ones who find ways to make it sustainable and enjoyable.

I appreciate you "telling me like it is"! I understand where you're coming from. I still see value in being pestered though-- in the way that it would cause me to answer for my actions and bring some of those underlying problems to light. i.e. "I didn't care if it was okay to eat cake. I didn't come to work prepared today because I spent all night in the MFP thread "Can you keep it going asking ONLY QUESTIONS?" and apparently someone had a birthday yesterday so it must be fate they left it here for me to eat for breakfast."

In forcing myself to answer those questions, I can deduce that I need to devote time to meal preparation! See what I mean??
  • irishdancer214
    irishdancer214 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I'm happy to join!
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    idk, whats wrong with cake for breakfast?
  • 12_oz_Curls
    12_oz_Curls Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I'll join you on your journey, if only so that we can laugh at what each other had for breakfast (PS, coffee has no calories if you drink it black).
  • jos05
    jos05 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I would really welcome some friends like this!! I have a bad habit of not logging my dinner or closing out my day. I am dedicated to working out and go almost everyday...but having some real fitness accountability friends would be great!
  • 12_oz_Curls
    12_oz_Curls Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    besaro wrote: »
    idk, whats wrong with cake for breakfast?

DADDY SAID WE COULD!

• Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    Homer: From now on, I'm gonna be just like Krusty and tell it like it is. Marge, you're getting a little fat around the old thighs!
    Bart: Dad!
    Homer: You too, Bart!
    Marge: Oh, knock it off, Homer, you're the fattest one in the car!
    Homer: [shocked, hurt] You didn't have to tell it like it is, Marge!
    - "The Last Temptation of Krust", 5F10
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Lolz.
  • angelphlebo74
    angelphlebo74 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Me