Keeping Up While Away from Home Base?

Options
I've recently become re-motivated about getting back into shape, thanks to a small bribe by my friend to run a 5K before returning to school this August. I've been doing pretty well keeping up on my workouts and watching what I eat, for the most part. But I've hit a little bump in the road, in about 10 days I'll be going to Chicago for a Leadership Summit. One problem is that all meals are pre-selected and paid for by the sponsoring group with little choice for the participants. Another problem is that staying in a hotel in Chicago with a full 10-7 schedule every day, there is minimal time to do the bodyweight workouts I've been doing (length est 30-45 minutes) and there is zero time to do the 1-2 mile runs I'm doing. Usually I wouldn't mind getting up early to do the workouts before the day begins or something like that, but I'm in a room with 1-3 other young women, whom I have never met before. And if any of you know anything about young, college-age, women, you know there will probably be minimal space for walking, nevermind working out.

Any tips on how to eat at least semi-healthy on this pre-selected meals and hotel continental breakfasts?
And any tips on how to not fall out of my habits while away from my home base??

Thank you ahead of time!
-M

Replies

• jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    Wait, you don't have to be anywhere until 10am?? I am dying here with jealousy as my day begins before 6am. Um, yes, you have all morning!!
  • whatatime2befit
    whatatime2befit Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Is there a gym/fitness center in the hotel? If so, use it in the morning, as you don't start till 10. Or use that time to go for a walk around the neighborhood.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    You don't have to be anywhere until 10AM...there's plenty of time to run, lift, etc. Eat the foodz...just not all the foodz.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    There should be a fitness center at the hotel. It should have a treadmill and a stationary bike at the very least. Take advantage of it in the mornings before the sessions begin or in the evening after. You could also see if there's a running track or park near the hotel.

Eat sensibly from what is offered for meals. Avoid the things that are high in fat or are nutritionally worthless. Fill up on fruits, vegetables and lean meats. If there's alcohol in the evenings, indulge in moderation.
  • agreenid
    agreenid Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Echoing what others are saying. I did tradeshows and conferences for years (event planning) and found the following tips definitely helped:

1. Use the fitness center or go for a walk/run outside if that's your thing
    2. Most meals will have a salad option, try to go for that and deconstruct your sandwiches over it (take out the meat and leave the bread if that's an option
    3. Pack protein shakes/bars for if you are in a hurry or just can't find a good option for the meals
    4. Don't beat yourself up if you make a few "bad" decisions when you're gone
    5. If you're drinking have one or two drinks and then switch to club soda with lime or something no cal

Good luck!
  • irishdancer214
    irishdancer214 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I usually try to go for eggs in the morning and oatmeal or a balanced cereal. Nothing wrong with going running in the morning or using the fitness center (or pool! Still a good workout!!). Just tell them you're training for a race and have to keep up with your training...they might be jealous!!