need to build endurance in running

Hello I went jogging today outside rather than inside what a difference it is much harder plus fresh air is nicer.
I was rubbish I went for a hour 10 minute walk/sprint/jog I tried my best I noted my time down how many laps.
I now know what to beat for the next run

Any tips I was rubbish I kept getting tired why is my endurance so weak

Replies

• scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    The best way to build endurance is by running easy a lot. Sprinting will do little for you in this regard.

Easy is running at a pace where you can still talk or with a HRM around 77% max heart rate and under.

Pace is not important but pace will get faster at the same effort level as your endurance increases.

In my experience, the fastest way to build endurance is an hour a day as many days a week as you can handle without injuring yourself. Once a week run longer than an hour up to about 2 and a half hours. If you can handle it a second shorter run on some days also helps.

This is a good reference: http://www.fitnesssports.com/lyd_clinic_guide/Arthur Lydiard.pdf

Also, it takes time. You will begin noticing significant gains in about 6 weeks but improvement will continue for years.
  • AsrarHussain
    AsrarHussain Posts: 1,424 Member
    scottb81 wrote: »
    The best way to build endurance is by running easy a lot. Sprinting will do little for you in this regard.

Easy is running at a pace where you can still talk or with a HRM around 77% max heart rate and under.

Pace is not important but pace will get faster at the same effort level as your endurance increases.

In my experience, the fastest way to build endurance is an hour a day as many days a week as you can handle without injuring yourself. Once a week run longer than an hour up to about 2 and a half hours. If you can handle it a second shorter run on some days also helps.

This is a good reference: http://www.fitnesssports.com/lyd_clinic_guide/Arthur Lydiard.pdf

Also, it takes time. You will begin noticing significant gains in about 6 weeks but improvement will continue for years.

Thank you I will try that I also box as well so aerobic and anaerobic is crucial
  • csman49
    csman49 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Boxing, eh? So, you'll want a long, slow run as detailed above - slow enough that you could almost hold a conversation. Then perhaps a tempo... here you could do intervals with the long/slow pace, and maybe some hill sprints - sprint up that hill, gentle jog back around to the bottom of it, and sprint back up it, etc etc. And then maybe you're 3rd run of the week could be the long run again.
    If you're boxing, i expect you're in the boxing gym twice a week, you'll get a good cardio from that so perhaps i wouldn't worry about a shorter run. 2 long runs and a interval
  • gdyment
    gdyment Posts: 299 Member
    Run 3-5 times a week, nice and comfortable so you don't have to stop. 30 mins is fine, hour better. You should not be sore or exhausted. Takes months/years to build a big engine. Save the pain for your boxing workouts.
  • Equus5374
    Equus5374 Posts: 462 Member
    Find a good build-up program that works for you. I've experienced good results with workout programs from Jenny Hadfield (www.jennyhadfield.com). She has programs for all levels and distance goals.
  • Equus5374
    Equus5374 Posts: 462 Member
    Correction...running programs, not workout programs.
  • Gska17
    Gska17 Posts: 752 Member
    I'm following this thread. I'm in a panicked tizzy over only having 13 weeks to train for a 10K. I don't think I've been pushing myself hard enough, I can't even run a 5K yet and I've been running since September of last year. Frankly, I'm embarrassed. Granted I've had some decent setbacks since I began.

Ok, enough about me. :|
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    GingerSka wrote: »
    I'm following this thread. I'm in a panicked tizzy over only having 13 weeks to train for a 10K. I don't think I've been pushing myself hard enough, I can't even run a 5K yet and I've been running since September of last year. Frankly, I'm embarrassed. Granted I've had some decent setbacks since I began.

I did my first 10k after 12 weeks training, you'll be fine.
  • djscavone
    djscavone Posts: 133 Member
    GingerSka wrote: »

If speed is no issue you can do the 10k by just taking your time and going slow. Its only six miles and most folks I know (average folks!) do it in an hour-ish time.
  • irishdancer214
    irishdancer214 Posts: 108 Member
    For me it's very much mental, unless I'm injured or really sick. I spent a year and a half with on and off injuries and just started gettin back into things around the beginning of this year. I run at a nearby park and the smaller loop there is about 1.4 miles...I'd been walking/jogging mostly, doing 2 or 3 laps. So I made my first goal to run a full lap without stopping which was about 14/15 min...so my next goal was 20 minutes...then 25, etc. My next run (after this sinus infection) should be about 50 minutes. Just try to push yourself in little bits!
  • AsrarHussain
    csman49 wrote: »
    Boxing, eh? So, you'll want a long, slow run as detailed above - slow enough that you could almost hold a conversation. Then perhaps a tempo... here you could do intervals with the long/slow pace, and maybe some hill sprints - sprint up that hill, gentle jog back around to the bottom of it, and sprint back up it, etc etc. And then maybe you're 3rd run of the week could be the long run again.
    If you're boxing, i expect you're in the boxing gym twice a week, you'll get a good cardio from that so perhaps i wouldn't worry about a shorter run. 2 long runs and a interval

yes boxing twice a week 2 hours
  • AsrarHussain
    Gska17 wrote: »

dont be embarrased dont worry just get back in and kick butt you can do it
  • dcaldwell446
    dcaldwell446 Posts: 3 Member
    I'm 59 have been walking regularly 15 miles a week but now I think its a good time to start running should I just jog or go at a little quicker pace?
  • blobby10
    blobby10 Posts: 357 Member
    To OP - I recommend the couch to 5k program - even if you are an experienced runner as it will help you increase your speed.

dcaldwell446 - do what you like! There isnt a should or shouldnt! But again, couch to 5k is a good starter program.
  • besee_2000
    besee_2000 Posts: 365 Member
    Gska17 wrote: »

I did my first 10k last year and had a personal best. It was so motivating with all the other runners. The people on the sidelines holding signs and cheering you on pushes you harder. I ran a half-marathon last month for not running much at all (not recommend that for injury sake) I just reminded myself if I finish I will be happy with that. Remember to pace yourself. If you have to slow your jog to keep going do it. If you stop, it is harder to get started again. Good luck
  • Gska17
    Gska17 Posts: 752 Member
    (Thanks everyone! <3 )