Mostly Vegetarian - Trying to eat more protein/iron

Options
2»

Replies

• ntaluzek
    ntaluzek Posts: 5
    Options
    I also recommend lentils. One cooked cup provides 18g of protein, and almost 40% of your daily iron. Pretty much any type of bean will help cover both of these nutrients quite nicely.
    Another good source to look into is amaranth. One cooked cup provides 9g of protein, and about 30% of your daily iron.
  • topskaren
    topskaren Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Spinach is high in Iron and I do egg whites to cut the fat and cholesterol tofu for protein comes in dry form and wet also soy products but watch the salt in them its high.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Remember a lot of the iron in plant is indigestible since it's not the heme animal form. The best way to unlock this iron is to combine it with vitamin C, so think a spinach salad with strawberries or oranges or kale with a lemon oil sauce. You can get a complete protein by combining things like rice and beans or grains and lentils.
  • lemonmon1
    lemonmon1 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Tomato Swiss Chard Cannellini Bean Soup (vegan homemade):

Sautee 1 medium yellow onion in 1 Tbsp olive oil.
    Add 1 large can (32 oz) of crushed tomatoes with basil.
    Add 2- 15oz cans of cannellini beans.
    Add 1 container or 3.5 cups sausage style crumbles (I used Wegmans – Don’t Be Piggy).
    Add ½ vegetable bullion cube to 1 cup warm water and try to break up/dissolve the cube.
    Add the following spices to the water: ½ tsp sea salt, ½ tsp garlic powder, ½ tsp onion powder, ¼ tsp cayenne pepper, and 1 Tbsp dried parsley.
    Add the water-spice mixture to the pot and also add 2 additional cups of water.
    Add 1 bunch Red Swiss Chard or 3 cups chopped (stems trimmed off) and simmer covered on medium-low for about 20 minutes.

Mine came out to be 12 cups, so I made it 8 servings at 1.5 cups each.
    Per serving: 220 calories, 28g carbs, 5g fat, 16g protein
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    Mixing soya flour into your breakfast muesli and using soya milk.

Soya flour can me mixed into soups and blended with bread flour for high protein loaves.

I bought some quinoa flour yesterday but can't say what that is going to taste like - high in protein though.