Compound Lifts plus accessory lifts?

Options
kopmom
kopmom Posts: 491 Member
I have been doing Stronglifts and really like it but was curious if anyone does a program that focuses on compound lifts AND maybe adds in some accessory lifts too?

Replies

• froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    i've only just started lifting, but i could see myself doing that once i have made some overall progress...
    all depends on which areas you want to shape.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,562 Member
    Options
    I have been doing Stronglifts and really like it but was curious if anyone does a program that focuses on compound lifts AND maybe adds in some accessory lifts too?
    All my clients do compound lifts along with some functional work and some isolation movements. You can definitely just get it all with compounds, but having a little variety and direct work with isolations is good too.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    I do the main lift + 2 accessory lifts as a superset. ie.. Bench + pull ups + lunges
  • caseythirteen
    caseythirteen Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    Since I wanted to add the accessory work, I just made up my own routine. I still do the basic compounds but add things like lat pulldowns, chinups, laterals, lunges, leg press, etc.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    It's your body and your program. Although people here act like it sometimes, it's not a desecration of the SL or SS if you add in some lifts that you're interested in. Actually, I'm pretty sure the rule around here is that you can add anything you want to your program as long as you call the exercises "accessory lifts".

Anyhoo, experiment and add a few things. Within reason, of course. Make the program your own.
  • kopmom
    Options
    It's your body and your program. Although people here act like it sometimes, it's not a desecration of the SL or SS if you add in some lifts that you're interested in. Actually, I'm pretty sure the rule around here is that you can add anything you want to your program as long as you call the exercises "accessory lifts".

Anyhoo, experiment and add a few things. Within reason, of course. Make the program your own.

Thanks, I agree but I hear from alot of people doing alot of "extras" will cause less progress with compound lifts
  • jlcl119
    jlcl119 Posts: 51
    Options
    I do SL and add in other work when I feel like it. Sometimes I just want to run my miles, do my compounds, and GTFO. Other times I want to fine tune more.
    I just do whatever extras I'm feeling at the time. A sort of "Hey! I haven't done pushups in a while, let's do a few sets of those!" type thing.
  • MisterDerpington
    MisterDerpington Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    A good question would be to ask how far you've progressed on your lifts so far and how long you've been at it?

There are good movements you can add to a linear progression program, but I think they recommend you first progress with the bare bones program first. What you need to find are other compound movements that benefit the initial lifts. Chin-Ups are a great example.
  • DavPul
    Options

Thanks, I agree but I hear from alot of people doing alot of "extras" will cause less progress with compound lifts

that's why i made sure i wrote the bolded line. it's simply not true. there are good reasons they say it tho. primarily because 1) the beginning lifter doesn't really need extra lifts to make progress and 2) if left to their own devices most newbie lifters would have a program dedicated to curls and crunches 3x per weeks with leg work every other week. so it's mostly to keep them for derailing their own program.

that said, even if it were true that you'd stall progress on the compound lifts, who cares? it's still your body and your program. if you decide X bodypart development is more important than lifting Y pounds on Z compound lift, that's your choice to make. Even if I say bad things.

What are you thinking about adding? It's more productive if we talk about specifics
  • kopmom
    Options
    even if it were true that you'd stall progress on the compound lifts, who cares? it's still your body and your program. if you decide X bodypart development is more important than lifting Y pounds on Z compound lift, that's your choice to make. Even if I say bad things.

What are you thinking about adding? It's more productive if we talk about specifics
    [/quote

I really am not super concerned with getting stronger per say as much as I am about progressing with the weight of my compounds (even if slowly) and lowering BF. I have been doing 3x a week of Stronglifts and was just considering doing 2-3 more days of some accessory lifts for more of my trouble area's.
  • MisterDerpington
    Options
    I really am not super concerned with getting stronger per say as much as I am about progressing with the weight of my compounds (even if slowly) and lowering BF. I have been doing 3x a week of Stronglifts and was just considering doing 2-3 more days of some accessory lifts for more of my trouble area's.

That is a concern for getting stronger just FYI. They're pretty much the measure for strength.
  • Shawshankcan
    Shawshankcan Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    I started a sport that is based around heavy carries, deadlifts and over head presses. I lift four days a week and do specific event training once a week.

I have four big lifts, bench, shay sing shoulder press, deadlift, and squat. From there, I do other movements that help support those base movements.
  • tubzzy77
    tubzzy77 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    So what are your "trouble areas?"
  • MisterDerpington
    Options
    I started a sport that is based around heavy carries, deadlifts and over head presses. I lift four days a week and do specific event training once a week.

I have four big lifts, bench, shay sing shoulder press, deadlift, and squat. From there, I do other movements that help support those base movements.

Strongman?
  • tomcornhole
    tomcornhole Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    I like the accessory lifts from 5/3/1. You can go to this site:

http://www.strstd.com

you can plug in your stats and then select the my 5/3/1 routine tab at the top of the form. Then at the bottom you can select your accessory program. They are a nice addition to the compound lifts. I am doing the big but boring accessory program right now. I like it a lot.
  • tomcornhole
    tomcornhole Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    So what are your "trouble areas?"

Based on her avatar, she doesn't appear to have any trouble areas.
  • DavPul
    Options

That is a concern for getting stronger just FYI. They're pretty much the measure for strength.

This thread is taking an odd turn
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options

^^Thats the golden nugget... They are an accessory TO YOUR MAIN LIFT. They should be something that works the same muscle group, usually in a higher rep range at lower intensity. If your accessory lift isnt helping your main lift excel than it is a bad accessory lift.

NO, I would not add two more days of lifting. Your accessory work should be done the same day as teh main lift you expect it to help.

Too much accessory work can exceed your work capacity and be counter productive.

Best advice:
    Add one or two exercises at a time and never do more than 3 or 4 accessories (many do more.. many can do more). And you probably dont need to even consider doing accessory exercises for several months. Usually you'll do things that help you in the part of your lift that is the hardest. For instance, if you have trouble at the top of your deallift you might do rack pulls with a higher weight... Or maybe paused reps of benching if youre stuck at the bottom of your bench.

Accessories are more necessary, and easier to pick, when you start developing weak areas that you could possibly address to improve your progress.

I should add that I think some other "additional work" is often suitable to fit your goals. Accessories to the main life should have a reason for their implementation and should function to aid in advancement of that lift.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    Pull ups and dips should be mandatory accessory work for SS
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    Pull ups and dips should be mandatory accessory work for SS

im guessing you mean it lacks arm work, that i completely understand...