Do vitamins have a high calorie count?

Options
I was just wondering if anyone knew if a woman's daily vitamin or if biotin or vitamin B, if any of those carried calories?

Replies

• beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Not enough to be concerned with counting.
  • M30834134
    M30834134 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Vitamins dont have calories, only carbs, proteins, and fats
  • discretekim
    discretekim Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Some gummy vitamins have significant calories. Also omega 3 supplements are fat so they obviously have calories. They should have a label. If it doesn't list calories then it is likely a negligible amount.
  • M30834134
    Options
    Some gummy vitamins have significant calories. Also omega 3 supplements are fat so they obviously have calories. They should have a label. If it doesn't list calories then it is likely a negligible amount.

Vitamins don't have calories and do not provide any energy to your body. Gummy vitamins carry calories from the carbs they are packaged with but not the vitamins themselves.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    This. If your vitamins don't have a label on them, why buy them?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options

LOL...what is your definition of significant?
  • Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    Options

Not necessarily. A serving of my fish oil is 60 calories. Often times you can scan the supplements and MFP will have an entry for it in the database. Most supplements do not have caloric information on them, but it can usually be obtained from the website of the manufacturer.
  • M30834134
    Options
    Emilia777 wrote: »
    Not necessarily. A serving of my fish oil is 60 calories. Often times you can scan the supplements and MFP will have an entry for it in the database. Most supplements do not have caloric information on them, but it can usually be obtained from the website of the manufacturer.

Again, the calories come from carbs, proteins, or fats not the vitamins.
  • Emilia777
    edited June 2015
    Options
    MasterVal wrote: »

Again, the calories come from carbs, proteins, or fats not the vitamins.

I never said otherwise. I was simply saying the amount of calories associated with the vitamins/supplements is not necessarily negligible, and just because the label doesn’t list them does not mean they’re not there.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Gummy Vitamins have calories - most of the others do not. I take 45 calories of vitamins a day - so I definitely want to track them. I use the recipe builder to put in all my daily vitamins in to one easy entry.
  • M30834134
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I never said otherwise. I was simply saying the amount of calories associated with the vitamins/supplements is not necessarily negligible, and just because the label doesn’t list them does not mean they’re not there.

:smile:
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    My gummy vitamins are only 10-20 cal per dose.

And, oh, gosh, now I'm remembering a horrible ad for a woman's multivitamin that ran in the 70s, back when women were told that 1000 calories per day was what you needed to tot up in the sad little booklet you bought at the supermarket checkout.

Let me see if I can find it. What I remember is///"My new diet isn't 1000 calories per day, it's 1001! With this super great 1 calorie multivitamin for women!"

• Emilia777
    edited June 2015
    Options

:smile: right back atcha lol. Honestly, I wish someone had told me that the supplements I take have calories (though I of course understand vitamins themselves do not). One gummy and some fish oil comes to 105 calories per day that go unaccounted, and when your deficit isn’t that big, it can add up. That’s where I was going with this.

And, oh, gosh, now I'm remembering a horrible ad for a woman's multivitamin that ran in the 70s, back when women were told that 1000 calories per day was what you needed to tot up in the sad little booklet you bought at the supermarket checkout.

Let me see if I can find it. What I remember is///"My new diet isn't 1000 calories per day, it's 1001! With this super great 1 calorie multivitamin for women!"

LOL that sounds dreadful. 1000 calorie-diet. *shivers in horror*
  • HeySwoleSister
    Options

:smile: right back atcha lol. Honestly, I wish someone had told me that the supplements I take have calories (though I of course understand vitamins themselves do not). One gummy and some fish oil comes to 105 calories per day that go unaccounted, and when your deficit isn’t that big, it can add up. That’s where I was going with this.

LOL that sounds dreadful. 1000 calorie-diet. *shivers in horror*

Well, you know, Dexatrim-diet-plan or Ayds diet candy made it all so easy. Just as long as you didn't "aerobicise" with those infernal 2 pound weights. That would make you look like a MAN!
  • HeySwoleSister
    Options
    Also, if you ran a full mile, your uterus would fall out. FACT, IT'S SCIENCE.

And people wonder where "women's lib" came from. SMH
  • luv_lea
    luv_lea Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    The label should tell you? If you take a lot of vitamins daily...you might want to track it. I used to take a lot and could take up to 100 calories in vitamins (depending on what you take.)
  • Gska17
    Gska17 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    My daily gummies are 15 calories. I log 'em mainly so the nutritional value "counts".
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I log all of my supplements and my daily multivitamin and the additional potassium supplement take come up as zero calories. However my daily joint supplement comes up as 15 calories. So some do some don't. Log them anyway. It can be a helpful reminder to take them, plus it helps with tracking macros.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Really?