Any low carbers/Atkins people here..

Options
13»

Replies

• KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    Here is how to configure MFP to calculate net carbs for keto, http://cavemanketo.com/configuring-mfp/

Looks like some people had trouble configuring it, but it works for me.
  • dlaciv12
    dlaciv12 Posts: 13
    Options
    Too many responses for me to go through so forgive me if I am repeating myself. I've been low carb for the past 10 years or so with a few wagon falls around the holidays.

I would recommend NOT subtracting the fiber until you're well into fat loss. Then count the fiber as you start to add carbs back into your diet.

Ignore ALL criticisms! If you stick to it and exercise you will be eating a healthful, whole food diet by the time you reach your goal.

Don't worry about the things your missing and bask in the glory of the things you get to eat. No other lifestyle gives you such a rich and flavorful diet.

Remember, low carb junk food is still junk food. I love Atkins but most of their products are more problematic than beneficial. Their app and website are just awful. I know MyFitnessPal is built around calories (completely useless) but you can adjust your goals on the website for % carb, protein and fat. Just use it and focus on the carb counts.

Low carb is tough because of the toxic word we live in. It's time to learn to cook and save money by not eating out. Focus on big meals with left overs and bringing the family together at 1 meal a day or a few a week if you can.

When it's time to add carbs do it with vegetables and fruit not grains. Start a garden and grow some of your own. It's incredibly rewarding and will introduce you to new foods. It turns out my family LOVES kale.... Who'd've guessed it?!
  • mrmagee3
    mrmagee3 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Too many responses for me to go through so forgive me if I am repeating myself. I've been low carb for the past 10 years or so with a few wagon falls around the holidays.

I would recommend NOT subtracting the fiber until you're well into fat loss. Then count the fiber as you start to add carbs back into your diet.

Ignore ALL criticisms! If you stick to it and exercise you will be eating a healthful, whole food diet by the time you reach your goal.

Don't worry about the things your missing and bask in the glory of the things you get to eat. No other lifestyle gives you such a rich and flavorful diet.

Remember, low carb junk food is still junk food. I love Atkins but most of their products are more problematic than beneficial. Their app and website are just awful. I know MyFitnessPal is built around calories (completely useless) but you can adjust your goals on the website for % carb, protein and fat. Just use it and focus on the carb counts.

Low carb is tough because of the toxic word we live in. It's time to learn to cook and save money by not eating out. Focus on big meals with left overs and bringing the family together at 1 meal a day or a few a week if you can.

When it's time to add carbs do it with vegetables and fruit not grains. Start a garden and grow some of your own. It's incredibly rewarding and will introduce you to new foods. It turns out my family LOVES kale.... Who'd've guessed it?!

Good post!

Also, I eat a ketogenic style diet. If anyone wants to see my diary, just drop me a friend request. I don't diary every day, or every meal, but there's enough there to give an idea of the way I eat, in general.
  • Golightly17
    Golightly17 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Join the Keto or Low Carber groups- awesome support and resources. The main forums can be argumentative on one's personal diet strategy.
  • josiereside
    josiereside Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    The keto flu is something you usually get the first week of any low Carb diet and it lasts a couple of days. It includes being tired ( really tired) grumpy, low blood pressure and headaches. I've heard that upping your salt intake really helps or eating avocados,kale,spinach . After a couple days you feel better than ever, no more cravings and ready to go. I've heard from 2 docs that its caused by low potassium or processed food detox. All those processed foods and starchy carbs are loaded in salt.

Day 6 and no flu.. I do eat plenty of avocado so perhaps that is keeping my potassium repleted! I kind of had eliminated processed foods for the most part prior to this so perhaps that is why I am smooth sailing!
  • josiereside
    Options
    Join the Keto or Low Carber groups- awesome support and resources. The main forums can be argumentative on one's personal diet strategy.

yes, sad but true...
  • josiereside
    Options
    Why do you want to do Atkins? It's a very unhealthy unbalanced diet for the most part. Why not just eat really well with lots of fruit, veggies, whole grains like quinoa, millet and brown rice and nuts, lentils and beans and healthy proteins? The Atkins diet can be hard on the organs...think about it..your body goes into ketosis!
    I am not trying to be forceful at all...but I sometimes wonder why many folks are looking for a magic diet which is impossible to sustain longterm when the body is healthiest for the most part on a primarily plant based way of eating for life.

Because I was eating the way you described and have been gaining weight... I just need a jump start. I am not looking for a magic diet. I have been stuck for months and need some motivation. But thank you for your input.

Oh I see..I understand...sorry if my comment hijacked your thread ...was genuinely trying to help..good luck :)

No problem!
  • OkieTink
    OkieTink Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Mine didn't hit until about the 12th day. It only lasted two days, which thankfully, was the weekend. I felt like I had been hit by a Mack truck. You may not come down with it at all, some don't. Good luck!
  • erikkmcvay
    erikkmcvay Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Nope :) In fact I'm HIGH Carbs :) 55% of my daily caloric intake is carbs (ok 50-55%) and I've lost 45 pounds.

However, most people think whole grain rice isn't a carb as well as Quinoa, whole wheat, oatmeal etc.
  • josiereside
    Options
    Thanks all for the very helpful replies! I will be checking out the groups suggested!
  • Birdy989
    Birdy989 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I've naturally been eating low carbs for the past couple of weeks, and have felt so amazing (and so not hungry) that I'm going to go full-fledged Atkins. If any other low-carb Pal wants to friend me, please do! I've done Atkins in the past, and loved it. I have no idea why it took me so long to go back on it. Low carb eating is just so, so much better -- for me at least. It's like night and day.

I need new low-carb, Atkins or Keto friends! =)
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    I've naturally been eating low carbs for the past couple of weeks, and have felt so amazing (and so not hungry) that I'm going to go full-fledged Atkins. If any other low-carb Pal wants to friend me, please do! I've done Atkins in the past, and loved it. I have no idea why it took me so long to go back on it. Low carb eating is just so, so much better -- for me at least. It's like night and day.

I need new low-carb, Atkins or Keto friends! =)

Feel free to add me............I am Paleo, but use the Atkins carb ladder currently to add back in fruits and vegetables as I am trying to isolate possible new intolerances............