Depression, Anxiety and Asthma

Options
Hey Everyone!

My name is Sarah and I have been doing MFP since October. I had lost close to 20 pounds (a combination of MFP and healthy eating before MFP) and started slimming up. I felt great and things were good.

Then life happened. A series of unfolded to where my Generalized Anxiety flared up and I developed depression for the first time. On top of that, I was diagnosed with severe asthma last week. My body is a hot mess now between the meds I need to be on to get things under control and the unhealthy eating I have done for 3 months now. I have also had to seriously cut back on my physical activity because of the asthma.

Praise God that I am getting the help and support I need right now, but I am really discouraged/overwhelmed with my progress (or lack there of). Anyone have any tips or suggestions on how to help my body through this hard time and stay healthy? Even just some general support - like you reading this - means a lot!

Replies

• 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    You dont need exercise, which is primaruly about fitness and physical health.
    Exercise is more likely to help your asthma of you do it sensibly, so I wouldnt use it as a reason to stop, just learn about what you need to do.

Exercise can also be beneficial for depression and anxiety.

http://www.asthma.org.uk/knowledge-bank-food
    http://www.asthma.org.uk/knowledge-bank-living-with-asthma-exercise

If you arent making any progress then look at your logging, weigh your food and make sure you are at an accurate consistent deficit. Then be patient.
  • DannyEdleston
    DannyEdleston Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi

I too am a sufferer of anxiety, health anxiety to be specific, usually focused on heart rate. This makes it hard for me to control my panic when I do vigourous excercise so burning fat is a challenge. Try slow paced steady exercise, and maybe lifting weights as a calorie burn. The main way you will see improvement is taking the plunge and getting back into the healthy eating. Its a struggle but if you've done it before, eating at a deficit is a good start.
  • ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    If you're going to workout, track your asthma with a peakflow meter so that you know which workouts trigger you the most. I would get an average of three readings and record your results before and after your workouts. Also, I'm sure you're already doing this, but be sure to talk to your doctor about controller inhalers. They've really, really helped me cut back the number of times I'm using my rescue inhaler.

Also - try exercises that are low-impact and don't bounce you around as much as running or walking briskly can. The recumbant bike is my all-time favorite. Still works up a sweat, too.

On the other hand, keep in mind that working out is beneficial, but not necessary for weight loss. Like "999Tigger" pointed out, it's about living on a deficit.

Regarding your depression and anxiety - don't give up! You'll likely experience hiccups and bad days, especially when your emotions are swinging back and forth, but success comes with consistency and knowing that you have to get back on that horse.
  • 1mumrevolution
    1mumrevolution Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I second the controller or preventer inhaler. One puff a day is keeping things under control for me. I work out everyday, including cardio, weights, swimming and no need for my ventolin even when I'm pushing my body.
  • scg17
    scg17 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I have GAD and depression-- and technically I have mold-induced asthma, which doesn't sound anywhere near as horrible as what you are going through :( I only use a rescue inhaler.

For me, I need some sort of exercise each day to keep anxiety and depression at bay. I ride horses, take walks, weight lift, hula hoop, hike, and do yoga. I really don't do hard core cardio, not my thing. For you, maybe you could start with a gentle yin or beginner hatha yoga? Not much calorie burn, but it will help you mentally so much. Or easy hikes--a lot of benefit to being in nature.

Honestly, at this point in the game, focus on eating well to handle your calories, and try to do exercise that will quiet your mind. Don't stress about the greatest calorie burn while you get your asthma regulated. Then once you have that in better control you can figure out what gives you the most endorphins with the least upset to your lungs :)
  • SarahRMerts
    SarahRMerts Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions everyone!!! This really helps. :)
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    just start back slow. Yoga can be a gentle way to start and can get harder as you are able. Also meditation can help with the mental health issues. And the asthma as it helps get you in touch with yourself and your needs
    I believe prevention is the way to go as well but always have your rescue inhaler with you. it's for emergencies and you won't know when an emergency will happen

swimming or water aerobics might be nice. again as strenuous as you want it to be

being active is a great way to help manage your GAD and depression. Find something you love to do and make time to do it. like gardening or a walk or a ride.
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Asthma definitely sucks when trying to exercise! What I did was take a hit off the inhaler BEFORE I started, that seems to help. I also started slow. Walked in a direction for 15 minutes, turned and walked back. I didn't walk fast or try to push anything, I just started so I could get used to moving. After I got used to that, then I started pushing my speed a little or adding minutes to the walk out and back. That's how I started getting it under control. It's not fully under control yet, just managed, but I can now take a walk with HSpoon and keep up with him! I'm working to adjust my speed, and am seriously considering a C25K app this summer, which is something I never thought I could actually do.

As for food, start over with logging. Reset your goals and start fresh. Starting fresh allows you to put the past behind you and only look forward. It's actually rather liberating. Start over with weighing and logging and get back into that habit, then start swapping out things and adjusting your portions down to what it's supposed to be. I ended up having to do that because I backslid last year and gained back about half of what I had lost. So I sat myself down for a talk, found a bribe for myself to get me back in the habit of logging, and started over.
  • bethss_
    bethss_ Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Hi :) I know the feeling I have anexity and asthma as well, I'm finding that exercise is really helping my asthma and also my anexity. Keep doing what your doing your doing well :)
  • SarahRMerts
    SarahRMerts Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the support and suggestions! I am starting to feel better, just not 100%. I am also realizing that I am not able to jump in right where I was with my exercise. Slow and steady it is.
  • woznube7
    woznube7 Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    @sarahrmerts:

I too, am dealing with anxiety and depression right now. What a lethal combination. Definitely just take it slow and steady! I am not aware of asthma, but I know people that have it! You're doing great, and already taking the right steps to getting back on track (and I think you're already on track, by doing this!)

You're in control. :) You got this! Keep up the great work!