Why do some people at the gym always look the same?

Options

Replies

• sarahlifts
    sarahlifts Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Though people may have different goals its not a judgement its an observation.

2.5 years of training 6 days a week every week at the same gym (unless I'm on vacation) I have seen the same ppl day in and day out. There are only 10 of us there at 5 am.

Just as some have noted that in these 2.5 years I have lost 70 lbs I've notice those that have stayed the same in that amount of time.

That is their prerogative. I didn't wonder why. I know why. Its DIET. Whether they want to maintain at 50lbs over their ideal weight or not is their business.
  • pdank311
    pdank311 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    you can't out train a calorie surplus. At the end of the day it is none of my business.
    Both of these. The first was the reason that any other time in my life I was working out I couldn't lose my gut.

And it's just none of my business unless you are asking me directly for help.
  • RRB2000
    RRB2000 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I worry all the time that I'm gonna be "one of those people." I have lost weight and inches since I joined the gym in March, but I know exactly what you mean. It irritates me to hear people talk about how they spend HOURS in the gym, as they are putting away an entire pizza and haven't changed in appearance at all. Maybe it is terrible to think about, but hey, its human nature IMO. And yes, you can go to the gym for exercise and strength, and not lose, but if you're overweight to the point people notice you haven't changed (like the people I'm referring to) then I would supposed losing weight SHOULD be one thing to consider while you're there. I'm def not trying to sound shallow, I'm on my journey as well, and I know its hard, its just my opinion.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,578 Member
    Options
    My friend used to go to the gym every day then go to burger King on her water home and get a whopper fries and either a soda or sometimes a shake.
    *smh*
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    wizzybeth wrote: »
    My friend used to go to the gym every day then go to burger King on her water home and get a whopper fries and either a soda or sometimes a shake.
    *smh*

I know people who did that on their bulk phases. Depends on her goals that way of eating works.

• jediguitarist
    jediguitarist Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    BFDeal wrote: »

He's asking in an open forum for responses on why the fatties at his gym never get any skinnier. And before we start trying to softball this one into a "well he never said anything about fatties" he wouldn't be asking this question if he was seeing ripped fit looking people. The question here is pretty crystal clear and he's a d-bag for asking it.

Nobody here said anything about fat people. As a guy, I look at other guys who gain no size as having no gains. Gains can be good man. Stop being a victim, life is hard enough. Chill.

This!

There's also plenty of people who don't know what to do when they work out. I worked out with my friends for 5 years and we all looked pretty much the same as when we started. We went 3-4 days a week and had no aesthetic gains. That was because we had to idea how to train and eat healthy.

Sure we could get together on the weekend and play ball without puking, or go to the beach and swim in the ocean without potentially drowning, so we did make fitness gains. Haha.
  • Angelfire365
    Angelfire365 Posts: 803 Member
    Options
    @carlysuzanne85 -> Thanks. :) I'm still going, no worries there!
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    sarahlifts wrote: »
    They have a poor diet. I see the same ppl in the gym every morning not a single pound lost. They put in work and then go home and eat away all their progress.

It took about 40 pounds before anybody noticed I lost weight, so how do you know they didn't lose or not?? Do you live with them 24/7 and know exactly what they are eating??.....or are you just assuming.

I'm thankful I workout at home.
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    So did anyone else feel as though OP was talking about "overweight people not getting lean"?
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    So did anyone else feel as though OP was talking about "overweight people not getting lean"?

Sort of. It seems very likely that he's talking about physical changes to one's body, considering the question was, "...always look the same?" Whether that's leaner or bigger muscles, nobody but OP really knows.
  • thesupremeforce
    thesupremeforce Posts: 1,206 Member
    Options

I just thought he was bragging that his body is better and/or has changed more than the bodies of the random people he doesn't know.
  • DanniB423
    DanniB423 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    My fears that people are in fact noticing me in the gym have been confirmed.
  • RHSheetz
    RHSheetz Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I have also found there are people that go to the gym because they want to eat a certain way, and it keeps them from getting worse. Form some people that is their goal, to not get worse.
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    DanniB423 wrote: »

People don't notice you in everyday life?

• softblondechick
    softblondechick Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    Everyone has a different journey.
  • DanniB423
    DanniB423 Posts: 777 Member
    Options

Obviously yes. You hear a lot " Oh don't stress about being overweight or looking silly at the gym. Don't let the fear of judgmental people keep you from going. Most of the time people are too wrapped up in themselves and their work out. No one is noticing you!" That is what I was referring to.
  • yopeeps025
    Options

Obviously yes. You hear a lot " Oh don't stress about being overweight or looking silly at the gym. Don't let the fear of judgmental people keep you from going. Most of the time people are too wrapped up in themselves and their work out. No one is noticing you!" That is what I was referring to.

So you are going to let other people keep you from wanting to better yourself in the gym through exercising? People will be aware of there surrounding. So of course people would see the same person coming in and see what they do.

I don't get that insecurity people have. I don't understand it. Maybe it because I view exercising differently and if you notice my profile pics. it is fours years apart of gaining than losing. I never stopped working out. Never. Even when I was really big and I don't even want to know how much my body fat% was. I never let people at those gym keep me from coming back.