Wow this is eye opening

Options
For months I've been trying to eat healthier but haven't lost any weight and couldn't figure out why. I've been logging for a less that a week but it's been enough to make me realise exactly what the problem is - I'm eating WAY too much fat, even on days when I feel like I've eaten really well I've gone over. I didn't realise that the cheese, yoghurt and butter I eat all contain so much fat, but they do and it all adds up. It's been very enlightening and I can see where I need to make a few changes.
I just wish I'd starting logging sooner!

Replies

• strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    Fat doesn't make you fat. :| Does all the fat you're eating make you go over your calorie limit?
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    Fat doesn't make you fat. :| Does all the fat you're eating make you go over your calorie limit?
    Yes, this.

• wannabeskinnycat
    wannabeskinnycat Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I think every day can bring new learnings - it has for me. And I love your name x
  • smotheredincheese
    smotheredincheese Posts: 559 Member
    Options

It hasn't since I've been logging, but I'm pretty sure that before I was paying attention to what I was eating it did.
    I was wondering about that actually, is it ok if I go over on fat as long as I'm within my calorie limit?
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options

It hasn't since I've been logging, but I'm pretty sure that before I was paying attention to what I was eating it did.
    I was wondering about that actually, is it ok if I go over on fat as long as I'm within my calorie limit?
    Yes, as far as weight loss goes. You probably want a reasonable amount of protein, too, though.

• mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    If you are eating within your calorie target, too much fat isn't inhibiting your progress. I venture to say you have selected a particular item, and have blamed it, without seeing the broad picture. Double check your calorie target, and if you are consistently hitting it. If you are, your target is wrong, and reducing fat can reduce overall calories, but within context.

Also, glanced at your diary. It is in direct contrast to your claim, and has very few entries. How, by chance, did you come to this conclusion?
  • smotheredincheese
    Options
    mantium999 wrote: »
    Also, glanced at your diary. It is in direct contrast to your claim, and has very few entries. How, by chance, did you come to this conclusion?

You're right, I haven't got many entries and have only been over on fat today and yesterday, but today's food is a pretty typical days food for me and it wasn't until I logged everything that I realised how much fat a normal day's food contains for me. I don't eat much meat so tend to fall back on cheese and yoghurt as protein sources but, seeing todays entry and being way over on fat, and under on protein made me realise this isn't the best balance and I need to make changes, like finding less fat heavy proteins.
  • EmmaFitzwilliam
    EmmaFitzwilliam Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    ::hugs:: I had an almost identical epiphany when I started logging. I can tell you - 73 pounds down, and 11 months in - knowledge is power.

It's not about not having the cheese/yogurt/butter/etc. It's about how much you have of them, individually and cumulatively.

You can still have, for example, an ounce of brie on an english muffin. Or, for about the same number of calories (but somewhat different fat:carb ratios) you can have two ounces of brie on water crackers. Or an ounce of cream cheese on a graham cracker (or 2).

Knowledge is power.
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,363 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    OP, how tall are you and your current weight? Is your profile set to lose weight or maintain?
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    You can eat as much fat as you want as long as you get enough protein and stay at your calorie limit for the day.
  • smotheredincheese
    Options
    I'm 5'5 and set to lose, current weight is 146 pounds
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options

This.

Excess calories make us fat.

You're going over your calorie limit because you're eating too much in general.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options

Still....it's the excess calories, not the fat in your food that caused any weight gain. However, how you choose to allocate those calories is up to you. :)
  • smotheredincheese
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    This.

Excess calories make us fat.

You're going over your calorie limit because you're eating too much in general.

I know, my point was more that I realised my excess calories were all coming from very fatty foods, so to cut my calories I need to cut down on my fats if you see what I mean. And because my protein has been under, I need to shift my calories from fats to proteins. I just never realised how unbalanced my diet was really.
  • futuremanda
    futuremanda Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    Did you use the yogurt packaging, or pick an item from the database that looked like your yogurt? I ask because 23 grams seems high to me, and other entries that look similar in the database show lower for the same portion. So if you didn't look at your own packaging, you might want to check it, especially if you eat it regularly.
  • LuckyMe2017
    LuckyMe2017 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    OP, I completely understand what you are saying. Fat tends to loom in the background and you don't always realize how much fat you're eating. You find yourself wondering how you racked up so many calories. I personally had to eat low fat foods to keep my fats under 40% when I was tracking them closely. I found that if I watched my fats, it was easy to stay within my calorie limit.
    It's great that you're being conscientious!