Resistance Training Until I Can Lift?

Options
2»

Replies

• TheGaudyMagpie
    TheGaudyMagpie Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I've been using the machines myself, mostly because I don't really have a spotter to help with free weights, and the section at my gym is pretty small and busy. I'm about eight weeks in and I have had a lot of progress in strength and there have been visible changes to my body shape. I will probably change gyms and transition to free weights within the next few months, but the machines have given me more confidence in my strength and motivation to keep progressing. Start anywhere you can and work with you have, and you will probably feel motivated to progress further when you are ready. There is no shame in being a beginner.
  • awnurmarc
    awnurmarc Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    1. Doing dumbbells one at a time is sensible because there are risks to balancing two heavy objects over your head and/or face.

2. I have finally managed to get to the point I can do four pull-ups. But a fifth one? That requires a 25% increase in weight. Not going to happen right away. Too big a jump. So having the large gap between your two dumbbell weights is probably frustrating for the same reason. And the same thing could happen with resistance bands. Either way, you have to give yourself small increments or it will be very difficult to get stronger.

3. If you keep the weight/resistance the same, then you don't get stronger. Getting your body stronger means you increase the load and make your body adapt (but, again, not by too much).

4. I am sure you can get stronger with resistance bands, but I do have theoretical questions about them (theoretical because I haven't used them, so take this for what it is worth). Most uses of strength are dealing with gravity. Wouldn't bands be easier at the start of the pull and then get harder at the end? It seems to me that weights like dumbbells or barbells might be better for that reason. (Of course, what is really better is the thing that you actually use.)

5. So why not find ways to increase weight slightly? Besides different dumbbells, you might consider wrist/ankle weights. I ordered some pretty cheap from Amazon.com. They were 2.5 lbs each but consisted of two removable sandbags of 1.25 lbs each. So, if you can grip the weight with the dumbbell, you have a much smaller progress increment to deal with.

6. Typically, for strength increase, you don't have to do too many reps. A lot of beginner programs suggest 3 sets of 5 reps for beginning strength training.

7. I promise you, if you can just find a way to begin this process you will be amazed where it will take you. And remember, you're not trying to make yourself sore or anything. You're not trying to kill yourself. You just want to do a few lifts at a slightly higher weight than last time.
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    You can lift now.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    @ajmiller1987 - thank you, that example makes sense.
    I would love more advice if you are willing...
    I have weights at home: 8 lbs and 15 lbs. The 8 pounds are heavy for me but I can do a few reps w/ them. I find it easier if I do one arm at a time, but it's still difficult.
    (Did I mention I was weak, LOL!)

I'm using my home weights a reference because I can't remember what my husband had me lift at the gym, which had more choices.

I've lost 10.5 lbs and am looking to lose 5.5 more.
    Even w/ that weight loss I will still be flabby and I know this because in the past I've been skinnier than the goal weight I'm looking to achieve this time around and I still had flab in places while other places looked sickly thin -
    Flab = stomach, butt, thighs Sickly = arms, back, collar area
    I am bottom heavy.
    And I don't mind that necessarily because I happened to be married to a man who loves thick legs and curvy behinds (he's a butt-man, LOL!)

So my goal is to burn more fat w/out losing too much more weight and to tone up.
    Does this info help?

I get the feeling your husband is simply an awful workout buddy for you. It is not normal to feel that bad and to keep repeating how weak you are. Starting with dumbbells is normal, starting with a few reps per set is exactly how you will gain strenght. You need more dumbbells (or adjustable ones), you cannot go from 8 lbs to 15. If you prefer resistance bands, bodyweight exercises or whatever, go for it. If you want to lift, lift. At least until you get into a routine, either do your own research to pick a program that you can do at home, or join a gym. Stop working with your husband on this, he probably has zero experience with beginners (lifting is not the same as being able to train someone new) and is only killing your self esteem.
  • DoreenaV1975
    DoreenaV1975 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your input @aggelikik .
    Although I agree my husband is probably not the best person to train me, he is not killing my self esteem...when it comes to lifting that is all me...
    I just really want to be one of those girls/women who "lift" and since I can't right now I feel like a failure. But of course I'm expecting too much too soon. I am a newbie at this and I need to realize everyone starts somewhere.

And I would not go from 8lbs to 15lbs I was just stating what weights I have at home to give an idea. Obviously if I can barely lift the 8 I would not even try the 15!

On a positive note, because of all the tips and encouragement I received from this thread, I did use the 8s last night and although I still had some difficulties I tried my best and pushed myself a little. This time though when I couldn't continue I didn't think negative thoughts... I just thought to myself "no worries, I'll get there". I didn't do an actual program as I was just getting a feel for them again... just did some basic moves my husband taught me.
    I am a little sore this morning but not killer sore.

I will continue to try, including looking up actual beginner programs and using them.

I thank each and every one of you for your comments.
    Truly I feel better about the whole situation and can only see myself getting better from here on out!
    Again, thank you!
  • DoreenaV1975
    Options
    awnurmarc wrote: »
    1. Doing dumbbells one at a time is sensible because there are risks to balancing two heavy objects over your head and/or face.

2. I have finally managed to get to the point I can do four pull-ups. But a fifth one? That requires a 25% increase in weight. Not going to happen right away. Too big a jump. So having the large gap between your two dumbbell weights is probably frustrating for the same reason. And the same thing could happen with resistance bands. Either way, you have to give yourself small increments or it will be very difficult to get stronger.

3. If you keep the weight/resistance the same, then you don't get stronger. Getting your body stronger means you increase the load and make your body adapt (but, again, not by too much).

4. I am sure you can get stronger with resistance bands, but I do have theoretical questions about them (theoretical because I haven't used them, so take this for what it is worth). Most uses of strength are dealing with gravity. Wouldn't bands be easier at the start of the pull and then get harder at the end? It seems to me that weights like dumbbells or barbells might be better for that reason. (Of course, what is really better is the thing that you actually use.)

5. So why not find ways to increase weight slightly? Besides different dumbbells, you might consider wrist/ankle weights. I ordered some pretty cheap from Amazon.com. They were 2.5 lbs each but consisted of two removable sandbags of 1.25 lbs each. So, if you can grip the weight with the dumbbell, you have a much smaller progress increment to deal with.

6. Typically, for strength increase, you don't have to do too many reps. A lot of beginner programs suggest 3 sets of 5 reps for beginning strength training.

7. I promise you, if you can just find a way to begin this process you will be amazed where it will take you. And remember, you're not trying to make yourself sore or anything. You're not trying to kill yourself. You just want to do a few lifts at a slightly higher weight than last time.

@awnurmarc Thank you so much for all this info! I truly appreciate it!
  • DoreenaV1975
    edited June 2015
    Options
    SonyaCele wrote: »
    Okay, thanks! I just felt like a failure because I could only do so much, which wasn't much at all...
    Here's another question then.
    Since we cannot get to the gym that often, would resistance training help me at all during the in-between time or is resistance training just a waste of time?

resistance band training has its purposes. it all depends on what your goals are. bands can be used for a zillion things. It sounds like you wanna use them , look up some exercises and play with them. i use them to stretch almost every day, and for my warm ups and tons of other things.

@SonyaCele It's not that I want to use them, I just thought they would be a good go between...As cardio can only take me so far and I am not (was not) confident enough to lift weights. However, since reading the advice on in this thread I have a whole different mind set! So thank you for your time and comments!
    I may still get some resistance bands just because I heard they are helpful for toning. I found a greatly reviewed set on Amazon that has different strengths so you can increase as you need to. BUT instead of doing those in place of weights I plan on doing both.
  • Immerito
    Immerito Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Check out Strong Curves or the New Rules of Lifting for Women at Amazon ot your local library.
  • TheGaudyMagpie
    TheGaudyMagpie Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Resistance bands can be quite effective. You would be surprised at how much you can do with them. Here are some exercises you can try along with some discussion of the pros and cons of using them. It's true that you will want to move on at some point to progress, but for now they should be helpful. http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/wotw10.htm
  • DoreenaV1975
    Options
    Resistance bands can be quite effective. You would be surprised at how much you can do with them. Here are some exercises you can try along with some discussion of the pros and cons of using them. It's true that you will want to move on at some point to progress, but for now they should be helpful. http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/wotw10.htm

Thank you, @TheGaudyMagpie ! :)