Phentermine experiences?

Options

Replies

• thirtypercentlessfat
    Options
    I took it about 10 years ago. I had to BEG my doctor for it and he told me about the potential heart effects... I did lose weight, quickly. It made me very hyper, very fast... However, I gained most of the weight back just as quickly once I stopped the 60 days I was given. If I could go back in time, I never would have chanced it.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    Depending on where you're getting your exercise burns from (the gym machine, MFP estimates, etc.), there can be a lot of room between 1800 + all exercise cals and 1600 + no exercise cals, so you can try out some different things to find where you're losing weight without feeling ravenous.

Just a question: if you've been successful with sticking with 1800 for awhile, why did they recommend phentermine? I could be wrong, but I thought it was primarily an appetite suppressant. If the doctor sees "I'm being successful at limiting my calories to 1800 but not losing weight" and their answer is "I don't know, let's try killing your appetite," I'd find a new doctor.
  • laura617
    laura617 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I took it about 10 years ago. I had to BEG my doctor for it and he told me about the potential heart effects... I did lose weight, quickly. It made me very hyper, very fast... However, I gained most of the weight back just as quickly once I stopped the 60 days I was given. If I could go back in time, I never would have chanced it.

Thank you for your review. Glad to hear from someone who used it.

I had to show at least 3 months of good blood pressure (which I have always had) and ekg.
  • laura617
    Options
    AliceDark wrote: »
    Depending on where you're getting your exercise burns from (the gym machine, MFP estimates, etc.), there can be a lot of room between 1800 + all exercise cals and 1600 + no exercise cals, so you can try out some different things to find where you're losing weight without feeling ravenous.

Just a question: if you've been successful with sticking with 1800 for awhile, why did they recommend phentermine? I could be wrong, but I thought it was primarily an appetite suppressant. If the doctor sees "I'm being successful at limiting my calories to 1800 but not losing weight" and their answer is "I don't know, let's try killing your appetite," I'd find a new doctor.

I think the hope was that I could gradually lower my calories on it without feeling deprived and also that it would give me an energy boost to be able to exercise more.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    laura617 wrote: »

I think the hope was that I could gradually lower my calories on it without feeling deprived and also that it would give me an energy boost to be able to exercise more.

Given you have 103 lbs to lose, I'd think you would lose weight eating 1800 calories. But maybe you aren't burning as many calories as you think you are. Definitely give 1600 calories/day a try. And toss the pills! One more question… Do you have any medical conditions? If you have any endocrine condition, your calorie output may be lower.
  • suruda
    suruda Posts: 1,233 Member
    Options
    I have used phentermine before...lost a 50 lbs, gained 20 or so back, now losing those again plus more. Honestly, regaining weight loss is a struggle no matter how we lose it. I needed the phentermine at that time for a jump start.

when you feel strong enough to go without it, taper back to one every other day or go down to 1/2 a pill and when you are ready, do it on your own. I also got a little energy boost from it and a serious thirst....both excellent side effects in my opinion!

I do feel good that this time around I am seeing success just by counting calories (down 29 since Jan) BUT...if I needed the aid of phentermine again, I wouldn't hesitate!

Look forward to following your journey!
  • laura617
    Options
    laura617 wrote: »

Given you have 103 lbs to lose, I'd think you would lose weight eating 1800 calories. But maybe you aren't burning as many calories as you think you are. Definitely give 1600 calories/day a try. And toss the pills! One more question… Do you have any medical conditions? If you have any endocrine condition, your calorie output may be lower.

I don't have any medical problems at all. I just had blood work back yesterday and am always surprised given my weight that my health is actually good. (Very lucky)

• laura617
    Options
    suruda wrote: »
    I have used phentermine before...lost a 50 lbs, gained 20 or so back, now losing those again plus more. Honestly, regaining weight loss is a struggle no matter how we lose it. I needed the phentermine at that time for a jump start.

when you feel strong enough to go without it, taper back to one every other day or go down to 1/2 a pill and when you are ready, do it on your own. I also got a little energy boost from it and a serious thirst....both excellent side effects in my opinion!

I do feel good that this time around I am seeing success just by counting calories (down 29 since Jan) BUT...if I needed the aid of phentermine again, I wouldn't hesitate!

Look forward to following your journey!

Thank you for your reply as someone who has tried it.
  • laura617
    Options
    I want to thank everyone that has replied to this because you all have been very helpful and given me a lot to consider.

I also want to say that I think it a bit sad that so many of the replies I got had to be in private messages because people who have used it were worried about being jumped all over.

I think logically we all know that slow, steady and as healthy as possible is best but of course sometimes we all get frustrated and I know that frustration leads in different directions for all of us so if you have done it with no help then that's fantastic but if you were one of the people who messaged me and needed that extra help then I'm happy all is well with you and your doing a good job too (even if others don't agree).
  • dksmith20110
    dksmith20110 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    It never worked for me.
  • Mskris1086
    Mskris1086 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I used Phentermine back in 2012. Combined with a 1300 calorie diet and walking every day, I lost 80 lbs that year. However when I stopped taking it, I gained 60 of it back. They're great to get you started and excited about weight loss but they're not a long term effective solution.
  • laura617
    Options
    It never worked for me.

Thank you for reply as someone who tried it!
  • laura617
    Options
    Mskris1086 wrote: »
    I used Phentermine back in 2012. Combined with a 1300 calorie diet and walking every day, I lost 80 lbs that year. However when I stopped taking it, I gained 60 of it back. They're great to get you started and excited about weight loss but they're not a long term effective solution.

That seems to be a huge thing that I think if I decide to keep with it for the time be that it's still all about lifestyle and habit change or it comes back.

Thank you for your reply as someone who tried it!
  • flamingblades
    flamingblades Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Is Phentermine the same thing as Phen Phen??? When I was with a certain weight loss program, They put me on Phen Phen for a trial period. I didn't take it but a month and heard the news that it was causing heart problems in some people so I gave it all back to the doc that prescribed it. Since that time, I don't dink around with weight loss meds.
  • laura617
    Options
    Is Phentermine the same thing as Phen Phen??? When I was with a certain weight loss program, They put me on Phen Phen for a trial period. I didn't take it but a month and heard the news that it was causing heart problems in some people so I gave it all back to the doc that prescribed it. Since that time, I don't dink around with weight loss meds.

I don't think fen phen is legal anymore (I could be wrong) it is the phen part of it I believe.
  • tedm1969
    tedm1969 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    The only way Phentermine will help you lose wright is by making you less hungry so that you consume less calories. I am sure you know that weight loss is almost entirely about cutting back how many calories you consume and/or increasing the calories you burn. I don;t think taking a stimulant without lowering calorie intake or increasing calories burned will result in much weight loss.
    I got by on 1500-1700 calories per day while doing strenuous cardio 5-6 day per week for 45 minutes to an hour with a few days of weight lifting on top of that. The weight fell off pretty quickly. I would worry about that kind of exercise mixed with amphetamines. Make your cardio sessions count by making sure to go longer and or harder every week. You have to add resistance, speed or duration to keep the progress moving.
    You may want to try to cut 100 calories per day out for a week and then another 100 and see how you do for the next six weeks.

You can do it.
  • karahm78
    karahm78 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I used it many years ago, never again! Gave me bad dry mouth, and while I lost approx 20 pounds in 2 months, I gained it all back.
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    Have you been tested for thyroid issues, pcos, or insulin resistance? It sounds like you should be losing weight by what you are doing now. Have you looked into a low carb approach? It may be something worth trying before taking pills that can have negative side effects.
  • jesikalovesyou
    jesikalovesyou Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I'm on phentermine. My doctor prescribed it for a month, a month off, then another month. I don't feel like I'm on speed like others do. It curbs my appetite and gives me dry mouth-which I count as a bonus. I think many people don't use it like it should be used. You need to work while you're on it-learn new eating habits and staying a new lifestyle.

People enjoy losing the weight but they don't think about the work they need to put in to keep it off.

It's not a "lose all and it's gone forever" kind of thing. It jumpstarts your journey, it's not meant to be the whole journey.
  • laura617
    Options
    My thyroid (free t3 & t4) are both within normal ranges (lower side of normal). Never been tested for pcos. Had a diabetes test last week which came back perfect.