If I take protein powder will it cause me to gain rather than lose weight?

My primary fitness goal is to get to healthier weight than I'm at today. However, a secondary goal is building muscle. I've never done protein powder before, but I know people who lift alot swear by the stuff. My question is will taking protein powder help me build muscle without making me gain weight?

Replies

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    If it makes you go over your maintenance calories it will. If it subs for other protein below maintenance it won't.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Protein powder doesn't cause weight gain. A calorie surplus does.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Protein powder doesn't cause weight gain. A calorie surplus does.

This.
  • adamdenison17
    adamdenison17 Posts: 4 Member
    edited June 2015
    Thanks everyone. So why do people take protein powder aside from supplementing their daily protein needs? Total newbie here.
  • DeguelloTex
    Thanks everyone. So why do people take protein powder? Total newbie here.
    Often, it's more convenient to drink protein than to eat it.

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Would you gain weight from eating some egg whites? Or a chicken breast? Protein powder is just a way to supplement exactly what you're getting in these types of foods if you can't eat enough of them... Protein! No magic muscle growing fairy dust (I wish)

Your calories determine whether you lose or gain weight. Stay in a deficit to lose
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Thanks everyone. So why do people take protein powder aside from supplementing their daily protein needs? Total newbie here.

They dont? Or if they do, they're misinformed?

Protein is just a macronutrient. Total calories determine whether someone gains or loses weight.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    protein powder is just a supplement...it doesn't make you gain or lose weight or do anything else besides supplement your protein intake.
  • SaraSteeves1993
    SaraSteeves1993 Posts: 87 Member
    edited June 2015

Protein powder is easy . For me it is also cheaper. Buying meat can be very expletive. Protein powder is expensive up front but cheaper in the long run.
  • ACyclingAdmin
    ACyclingAdmin Posts: 444 Member
    For me it's because I burn about 750 or more calories an hour on the low end, measured by a power meter (cyclist training tool). You can deplete your muscle glycogen in about 2 hours at that intensity, it's WAY faster to replenish your energy stores by drinking it down than it is to eat something like a chicken breast. A scoop of protein powder with chocolate milk or rice milk will refresh you and usually protein powder contains a lot of glutamine / BCAA's to provide you with extra amino acids etc... and have all the protein / carbs you need depending on what you mix the powder with.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    @adamdenison17 , as you wander around on the discussions, you will see that body builders go through cycles of "bulking" and "cutting". When "bulking" they are working those muscles and eating OVER their calorie threshold. They gain weight and they gain muscle. They assure dieters like me that one can only gain muscle while gaining. There is often an effort to get enough protein when gaining, and protein powder helps with that.

Now, when "cutting", the builders are eating UNDER their threshold to encourage the fat to shrink, showing off those beautifully built muscles. There may be less of a need fro protein powder at that point.

I am impressed with the body builders, as I live in fear of gaining. And here's people confident that they can both gain and lose as they choose by manipulating their diet. All the power to them.

When I was working out more, I was warned by my fitness instructor to eat back some of those calories, but "not too much", since my goal is weight loss. I got myself a Vega One protein mix and I would mix up half with milk to have after my workout. It seemed to replenish me just fine. But there's nothing magic about protein powder. It's just convenient.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member

Usually because it helps them hit their protein goal and it is convenient. You are bound to gain weight when building muscle because you will need to be in a calorie surplus in order to do so.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,487 Member
    Protein power helps you reach your protein goals.

Too many calories makes you gain weight.
  • DeguelloTex
    Also, it's much easier to boost your protein without much, if any, fat or carbs tagging along. Powder can make it a lot easier to plan out topping off your day.
  • ACyclingAdmin
    ACyclingAdmin Posts: 444 Member
    Also, it's much easier to boost your protein without much, if any, fat or carbs tagging along. Powder can make it a lot easier to plan out topping off your day.

Isopure! Also Hydrowhey!