Options
1235»

Replies

• drewlfitness
    drewlfitness Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    sixxpoint wrote: »
    Alcohol, especially beer, is a great ally when bulking.

Hugh Jackman, Mark Wahlberg, The Rock... all those guys consume a lot of calories from alcohol on a weekly basis.

No way...how could they keep their body fat percentage low

They constantly bulk and cut, cut and bulk, bulk and cut... You need the extra calories for the bulk, but I would imagine with activity levels so high, they could still enjoy alcohol on a cut.

Bulk then cut then bulk cut, and so on, makes sense. I just didn't think beer or any alcohol would be part of that process.

I do the same with my diet/workout, except I consume additional foods when bulking.
  • drewlfitness
    Options
    Alcohol, especially beer, is a great ally when bulking.

Hugh Jackman, Mark Wahlberg, The Rock... all those guys consume a lot of calories from alcohol on a weekly basis.

No way...how could they keep their body fat percentage low

They constantly bulk and cut, cut and bulk, bulk and cut... You need the extra calories for the bulk, but I would imagine with activity levels so high, they could still enjoy alcohol on a cut.

Bulk then cut then bulk cut, and so on, makes sense. I just didn't think beer or any alcohol would be part of that process.

I do the same with my diet/workout, except I consume additional foods when bulking.

But that makes sense. If your "job" is to workout 8 hours a day, drinking alcohol won't be an issue.

As long as it doesn't affect your energy level the next day...

But then there's crack cocaine for that
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I've been logging for 2 years and I'm still occasionally shocked at how many calories are in some foods. Live and learn!
  • samantha0131
    samantha0131 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Or, just not drink....damn you alcohol
    Hahaha facing that prob too but with wine...but the wine isn't that many calories, but you don't know how much I can drink, so had to cut it too

• sthoms2
    sthoms2 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    This is the reason I don't drink much beer. I love the taste but it has so many calories! I'm going to a beer fest this weekend. I have been saving my calories all week for this. I love IPAs! My drink of choice is vodka soda. No lite beer for me. I'd rather drink water.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    glevinso wrote: »
    You picked an absurd example of a beer to declare you cant drink beer while trying to lose weight...

There are plenty of <200 calorie flavorful craft beers. If you are drinking to get drunk, then don't bother with the good stuff. That is a waste.

If drinking to you means "stealing happiness from the next day" then you might want to rethink how much you drink. FWIW I drink a couple of pints a night, every single night. I never have issues the next day. I was even doing that when I was trying to cut weight. Just depends on what and how much...

Yep, I already have given how much I drink some "thought", and basically my solution is to simply not drink alcohol.

If having a few beers is nearly the same as having 3 waters, then I may as well not drink.

For me, it takes me a lot to actually get the buzz I'm looking for (not really drunk, no). I require a lot of alcohol. Because of this, my hangover intensity is worse.

If I didn't require as much alcohol to feel a strong buzz, well that would be great. Not only would I not have to consume as much, I'll also have much less hangover due to simply not having consumed a ton of alcohol.

I weigh 250, 18% body fat, but I'm only 6'1". Maybe more muscle mass makes it harder to feel a buzz.

My honest assessment of this is "Good for you." You're making the lifestyle choices that fit your goals and what you want to consume. This is exactly how you should do it.

That said, personally I would cut out a lot of other things before I cut out beer. As I said I enjoy a bottle or two most nights, and almost always buy mixed singles from local craft beer places. But southern WIsconsin has an embarrassment of good choices. Last night I enjoyed a rye saison from Door County Brewing: Biere de Seigle.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    mantium999 wrote: »
    mantium999 wrote: »
    Gska17 wrote: »
    *hugs Miller Lite to chest*

Thats not beer

Of course it is.

Using corn (syrup, or in any other form) as a cheap fermentable, negates any claim to being a beer. :)

<rolls eyes>
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    kwtilbury wrote: »
    Something's not right. 70 grams of carbs is only 280 calories.

Alcohol has it's own calories. It's technically a whole different macro onto itself.

A macro? Um, no. :o
  • drewlfitness
    Options
    Jruzer wrote: »
    You picked an absurd example of a beer to declare you cant drink beer while trying to lose weight...

There are plenty of <200 calorie flavorful craft beers. If you are drinking to get drunk, then don't bother with the good stuff. That is a waste.

If drinking to you means "stealing happiness from the next day" then you might want to rethink how much you drink. FWIW I drink a couple of pints a night, every single night. I never have issues the next day. I was even doing that when I was trying to cut weight. Just depends on what and how much...

Yep, I already have given how much I drink some "thought", and basically my solution is to simply not drink alcohol.

If having a few beers is nearly the same as having 3 waters, then I may as well not drink.

For me, it takes me a lot to actually get the buzz I'm looking for (not really drunk, no). I require a lot of alcohol. Because of this, my hangover intensity is worse.

If I didn't require as much alcohol to feel a strong buzz, well that would be great. Not only would I not have to consume as much, I'll also have much less hangover due to simply not having consumed a ton of alcohol.

I weigh 250, 18% body fat, but I'm only 6'1". Maybe more muscle mass makes it harder to feel a buzz.

My honest assessment of this is "Good for you." You're making the lifestyle choices that fit your goals and what you want to consume. This is exactly how you should do it.

That said, personally I would cut out a lot of other things before I cut out beer. As I said I enjoy a bottle or two most nights, and almost always buy mixed singles from local craft beer places. But southern WIsconsin has an embarrassment of good choices. Last night I enjoyed a rye saison from Door County Brewing: Biere de Seigle.

Ha, snarky reply.

I only wrote that because the other guy said I need to "really think about how much I'm drinking"

Thanks you your feedback.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    Jruzer wrote: »

Ha, snarky reply.

I only wrote that because the other guy said I need to "really think about how much I'm drinking"

Thanks you your feedback.

My snark-o-meter must be broken. Happy Friday!

Mrs Jruzer and I are going here tonight: http://www.nextdoorbrewing.com/