DIY Salad Dressings

Options
I am wanting to start making my own salad dressings, but I'm no chef and I just want some simple ideas. I'm not sure what I would like either; I don't think I would like vinaigrettes or anything of that sort but I might. I really like honey mustard, if there's any way I could creat something similar to that.

But yeah, just throw out some simple salad dressing recipes. Thanks in advance.

Replies

• faegirl22
    faegirl22 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    My favorite is apple cider vinegar, lemon juice, honey, mustard and grape seed oil, its so yum on chicken and berry salads. Also, you can make creamy style dressings with greek yogurt. I have a Ceasar that is greek yogurt, garlic, lemon juice, anchovies paste, salt and olive oil blended together. Ranch I make with milk and greek yogurt and ranch powder
  • lizzynewm
    lizzynewm Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Always start with the "acidic" ingredients, whatever they may be - a bit of honey mustard & white wine vinegar, for example. Then start adding your oil of choice in a slow stream, and whisk whisk whisk! It should emulsify into a nice, thicker-type dressing. Just add enough oil til it suits your taste, and salt & pepper afterward as well!

I love Asian-style dressings, I usually start with white wine vinegar, ginger & maybe some mustard, then add a bit of sugar and sesame oil. So good!

Here's a good infographic on dressing-creating: http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--q4Z705St--/c_fit,fl_progressive,q_80,w_636/19gso417gxfxsjpg.jpg
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    If the salad you're making calls for it (I like shrimp, black beans, avocado) then chalula chipotle hot sauce mixed with greek yogurt makes a creamy dressing. Though I just like the chalula on a salad on it's own too.
  • faegirl22
    faegirl22 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    If the salad you're making calls for it (I like shrimp, black beans, avocado) then chalula chipotle hot sauce mixed with greek yogurt makes a creamy dressing. Though I just like the chalula on a salad on it's own too.
    I love cholula! We recently made buffalo chicken with like 9lbs of chicken, a bottle and a half of cholula and ranch dressing powder, it's amazing with more hot sauce and blue cheese on top
  • jessicapk
    jessicapk Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I like to mush up one avocado with some sour cream or greek yogurt then add either vinegar or lemon/lime juice to get it to the right consistency. It's still kind of high calorie but VERY healthy due to the avocado (also high fiber, which you rarely see in dressing). Very creamy and delicious! I'm craving it now :smiley:
  • stevesample76
    stevesample76 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I like to use salsa or make ranch dressing using fage total 0 greek yogurt and a packet of hidden valley ranch powder.
  • pgwagner
    pgwagner Posts: 1 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I use this a lot...

1 Large container fat free cottage cheese
    1 packet Hidden Valley Fiesta Ranch Dip Mix
    1 Tablespoon white vinegar
    1/2 cup milk (I use 1%)
    1/8 teaspoon cayanne pepper (sometimes I use ground habinero)

Mix in blender until creamy. Also make a wonderful dip