Some Guidance

Options
I have fell off the wagon for awhile as my health (I suffer from severe chronic pain) has been quite bad. I need to get back into my groove and jumpstart my weight loss.

-How does everyone do it? Do you solely use MFP? Are there any other helpful apps?
-How accurate is the calories MFP suggests I consume to lose weight?
-Its really hard for me to incorporate exercise because of chronic pain, with light exercise (which probably won't burn that many calories) can I still lose weight with just diet?
-Also has anyone tried a weightless supplement or appetite suppressant that really helped them?

Sorry for all the questions, your input would be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    -It depends on what you're looking for. I have a Fitbit to track my steps, so I use that app. I use Runkeeper as a GPS for my walks. And the the Stronglifts 5x5 app on days that I lift.
    -It's only as accurate as you make it. Do it for a month, then evaluate your loss compared to what was expected. If you're logging everything accurately (which generally means using a food scale) and losing, good job! If not, then it's time to adjust.
    -Absolutely! MFP is set for you to lose weight with no exercise.
    -They're worthless.
  • apinto2011
    apinto2011 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    MFP is telling me to eat 1580 per day, does that seem a little high to lose weight?
  • malibu927
    Options
    apinto2011 wrote: »
    MFP is telling me to eat 1580 per day, does that seem a little high to lose weight?

Your ticker says you have 100 pounds to lose, so probably not. What are your stats?
  • apinto2011
    apinto2011 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I'm about 250 now and I'm 5'7"
  • futuremanda
    futuremanda Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    1. I use MFP alone at the moment.
    2. Pretty accurate if you're accurately sticking to it. It's a good starting point -- your body may differ a little, but it's as good a starting point as any. malibu927's advice on testing it is basically the best way to find out.
    3. Yep. :)
    4. Avoid. Do try to eat protein and fat at every meal -- these help make you full. And low calorie items like veggies can help add bulk (so you get more food volume). Play with combinations to find meals that work for you. This will be better than pills.

+ Get a food scale if you haven't got one already! Accuracy means you'll probably see better results and makes it a bit easier to work in treats with confidence.

The other main thing I can say is to remember that you have a world of choices, and sometimes, you may want to choose to be kind to yourself over working toward an aggressive weight loss goal.

Meaning, some days or weeks, you may be good to go to lose like 2 lbs a week and that's awesome. Do it!

But other times, you may barely have it in you to log in... log in anyway. Log your food anyway. But eat to maintenance, or to 0.5 lb a week, or to 1 lb a week. It is not on or off a wagon at full speed, you know? A deficit is stressful for your body, so if you have a health flare up and other things going on, you can dial back the diet if you feel that would benefit you. If you have a bad spell and eat over maintenance, log it anyway. Keep an eye to still be doing this one, two, three years from now, NOT to doing it perfectly or throwing in the towel when you inevitably are not perfect. Sticking with it is WAY more important for success in the long run than what you did on any one day or week or month.

At least, that is how I balance all this, and health issues.
  • malibu927
    Options
    At 2 pounds per week, that sounds about right. I'm an inch shorter and started at 248, and ended up with about 1900 calories to lose 1.5 per week.