jogging vs running

2»

Replies

• kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    By these definitions, I am a bouncy, fast walker.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    MFP says I run in place while Strava says I ran. None of these apps have called me a jogger yet.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    ...should I just jog run or run at a little quicker pace?

Fixed it for you.

Run at a pace that you can comfortably maintain for the duration of your planned run. General convention is to hold a pace that allows you to complete a sentence at a time. Much more than that you're going too slow to challenge yourself, and if you can't then you're running a bit too fast.
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    glevinso wrote: »
    3d539ca3997f543eae772457c0399efd.jpg

Joggers are also the ones that always discover dead bodies. That's why I always run.
  • aarar
    aarar Posts: 684 Member
    glevinso wrote: »
    3d539ca3997f543eae772457c0399efd.jpg

This.

Also if you get pissed when someone calls you a jogger, you're a runner.

• jchite84
    jchite84 Posts: 467 Member
    edited June 2015
    Ugh, one of my pet peeves. Jogging is a term that was invented during a time when people thought that running could be bad for you. So they took the same activity and gave it a new name and said "No, running is a competitive sport, jogging is recreational exercise and easier." IT'S THE SAME THING. If you go out and put one foot in front of the other, don't discount the activity or cheapen it for the rest of us. We are runners, the pace doesn't matter. Some people think running=sprinting, jogging = going around the block. NOPE all runners. To the girl who tried running, and hated it and started jogging and loves it: You tried running too fast and hated it and then you started running at a pace that was more appropriate for you and love it.

Rant over, but blood pressure still elevated.
  • yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,472 Member
    jogging is just a half-assed run, doesn't matter what speed it is :)
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    jchite84 wrote: »

Eep5t.jpg

:)

• FatMoojor
    FatMoojor Posts: 483 Member
    edited June 2015
    jchite84 wrote: »

You should go for a jog to calm that blood pressure :)
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Peeve of mine too. I'm a slow runner. A writer described running as a "controlled fall" and I can tell you, going from completely sedentary to running was a production for me. I had to tell myself to lean forward until I felt like I was falling.

Members of our local walking club can outpace some of our runners.
  • MommysLittleMeatball
    MommysLittleMeatball Posts: 2,064 Member
    All of these points are fantastic!! However, in my own head, regarding my own activity and progress, I've told myself that I am "jogging" because I still can't run (at my slow steady pace) continuously without stopping to walk at times. Once I can finally run without walking intervals I'll say I'm "running". I think of it as a small mental motivator. I don't invest too much thought into it, but that's my logic.
    (I don't bounce at crosswalks though, but that's hilarious. :D )
  • dawnna76
    dawnna76 Posts: 987 Member
    Im a 12 minute mile RUNNER! Dont let anyone ever tell you that your not a runner cause your not doing 8-10 min miles. They are just an elitist Arsehole. Im running my first marathon in a week and i will finish in around 5.5 hours. tell me im not running and i might cut you! :)
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    dawnna76 wrote: »
    Im a 12 minute mile RUNNER! Dont let anyone ever tell you that your not a runner cause your not doing 8-10 min miles. They are just an elitist Arsehole. Im running my first marathon in a week and i will finish in around 5.5 hours. tell me im not running and i might cut you! :)

Good luck on your race! I often say I'll never do a full (half is my limit) because I'd have to have a 5 course meal in the middle of the race if I was running for 5-6 hours LOL.

• dawnna76
    dawnna76 Posts: 987 Member
    omma_to_3 wrote: »

Good luck on your race! I often say I'll never do a full (half is my limit) because I'd have to have a 5 course meal in the middle of the race if I was running for 5-6 hours LOL.
    omma_to_3 wrote: »

THERE WILL BE CHEESEBURGERS AT THE FINISH LINE! :D
  • jchite84
    jchite84 Posts: 467 Member
    @glevinso & @FatMoojor I can't even. But I'm trying. :'(