How cool is this!?

Options
prplepeep
prplepeep Posts: 18 Member
Hey Y'all! I got this app today on my phone to help me journal my food and count calories, but am pleased to see it is socially supportive too.

I was recently diagnosed with PCOS (Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome - it sounds scarier than it is), which is actually a relief as it explains a lot! I love healthy eating. I believe in eating yourself fitter and healthier. I love finding super foods that replace many of the medications people are quick to take (Look at the plethora of medicinal properties in cinnamon, and turmeric!!! It's crazy!) And I love exercising. I love dancing, and I love feeling good! But with hormones out of whack I still struggle with weight.

Hopefully with a continued and even beefed up healthy lifestyle and working with my doctor to get my hormones right will led to me being able to experience normal weight...and blame my big butt on that piece of cake I ate. LOL

I'm pleased to "meet" you all, and excited to join!

Replies

• mrsventura13
    mrsventura13 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hey there! I'm new to this as well. Sorry to hear about what your going through but this app is amazing and supportive! If you ever need some extra support i will gladly help out!
  • ccourcha
    ccourcha Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Wow. Best luck to you. Best thing I did for myself was to begin eating clean and healthy. Everything else seems to fall in place from there.
  • mcurry16
    mcurry16 Posts: 4 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Hi, thanks for sharing! I have been struggling with weight most of my life and always felt I had to work harder than others to lose even a few pounds. Like you, I ENJOY eating healthy and staying active. Of course, I have had unhealthy periods along the way, but I seem to always bounce back. But not this time around.

I have been reading up on PCOS and it appears I have most of the symptoms, so I will be seeing the doc about this. Are you doing anything different now that you know you have it? Any tips on how to cope?

Also, have you ever had an ovarian cyst? I had one removed in December, but I'm not sure if it's linked to this.
  • prplepeep
    prplepeep Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thank Y'all!

mcurry16 wrote: »
    Are you doing anything different now that you know you have it? Any tips on how to cope?

Also, have you ever had an ovarian cyst? I had one removed in December, but I'm not sure if it's linked to this.

Now that I know I have it, it has given me some hope back and motivated me to keep going and to push a little harder again. My doc put me on METformin which will help regulate my hormones and has been known to reduce and even eliminate the symptoms that bother me. Cysts have not been troublesome, and I cycle fairly regularly though on my own flexible schedule.

To cope : I learned years ago that beauty is bigger than skinny ever dreamt of being. Over the years I focused on health, balance, strength, flexibility, endurance... stuff like that. Not the scales. Weight doesn't define a person. I even learned that there was no shortage of guys that were attracted to my bigger self! (Not that that matters, but it makes one feel good sometimes) Stay confident, humble, and redefine those negative thoughts that talk you into feeling bad about yourself.

"You don't have a soul. You are a soul. You have a body." -C.S.Lewis

You can research diet plans for PCOS. Usually high fiber, lower carbs. I recently found that drinking juices isn't all that great as the body uses the energy from the sugars to digest the fibers of the fruits- so taking them away lowers the metabolic process and the sugars in them don't get used to aid in digestion. Whole fresh foods are key to any diet, I think.
    ccourcha wrote: »
    Wow. Best luck to you. Best thing I did for myself was to begin eating clean and healthy. Everything else seems to fall in place from there.

I agree ccourcha, it usually does! And it can even help find underlying problems too.

• mcurry16
    mcurry16 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Sorry for the late reply. Just wanted to say thanks for the words of encouragement. And good luck to you! :smile: