Options
2»

Replies

• Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    svirds wrote: »
    rabbitjb wrote: »

You're wrong I'm afraid - please read up on the topic before giving wrong, but well-meaning advice

Meal timing is a personal choice .. that's all

Actually, I'm not...but have a great day!

Yes you are - like everyone else is saying. Please be cautious with spreading misinformation.

I second that meal timing is personal preference. I don’t eat breakfast (before noon) because I’m not hungry in the mornings. It’s what works for my body.
  • ckspores1018
    ckspores1018 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I need to eat something after my morning workout otherwise my energy levels will suffer throughout the day but that's just how I am. If you are not a breakfast person then don't eat breakfast (or eat it later). My husband almost never eats anything before lunch because he just isn't hungry and that works fine for him. I think it is silly to force yourself to eat when you're not hungry based on some archaic notion that you must eat breakfast.

I like protein in my breakfasts and since I'm an early riser anyway, I almost always make something hot for breakfast and then eat a light lunch. I like omelets with veggies, oatmeal with peanut butter, etc.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    Usually when I eat breakfast, it is something quick because I'm not a morning person and I would rather sleep a few more minutes than make breakfast. This morning, it was 2 slices of dry toast. Sometimes it is a greek yogurt. Often, I grab a Clif bar or something similar. Usually I end up with around 15-30 seconds for breakfast (this morning, I had a bit more time and was able to make toast), so grabbing an energy bar seems to work best.
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    svirds wrote: »
    Breakfast is essential and the most important meal of the day - please don't listen to the above posters! Your body needs fuel and energy to function at its best. You need to feed your body and your brain - recharging your body and brain makes your more efficient at just about everything! Think of it this way - when you wake up, you haven't fed your body for 6-8 hours - you are running on fumes. The Harvard School of Public Health found that regularly skipping breakfast increases your risk of heart attack and heart disease by 25%. Also, when you skip breakfast, weight control become more difficult - you are more likely to nibble or reach for foods that are not as good for you. So, please don't skip breakfast! I didn't used to be a breakfast eater either, but I feel so much better now that I eat it. You can find a multitude of healthy cereals out there - just accurately measure your portions. I eat oatmeal regularly and eggs. There are a lot of fast easy dishes you can make with oatmeal and eggs.

Nope, you're wrong, Meal timing is a preference thing and nothing else.

I break my daily fast between 11am-noon with my biggest meal of the day. I don't eat before then usually. I've had no problems maintaining my almost 60lb weight loss for two years now, not eating in the morning.

As for eating in the morning somehow being tied to heart disease-my last blood test results from last month came back excellent, including my Coronary Heart Disease Risk being a 2.6 (less than 4.4 is recommended). I also have a total cholesterol number of 150 and my triglycerides are at a 49. Oh, I'm also no longer a pre-diabetic and my last fasting glucose number was an 86. All while not eating in the morning.

And no you're not running on 'fumes' if you haven't eaten in 6-8 hours. There's many of us here who practice 16:8IF and eat our calories in 8 hour windows/fast for 16 hours. It's part of my maintenance plan and I've obviously had pretty great success with it ;)
  • jadey_lady
    jadey_lady Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I've never been a big breakfast eater and when I forced myself to do it based off old science, I found it actually made me more hungry (so I ate more at lunch) and sometimes even made me feel sick. Now for breakfast, I limit it to coffee and MAYBE a bagel at most. Otherwise I say no thank you. I've still lost 40lbs doing it this way.
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    Eating first thing in the morning tends to make me hungrier until lunch, therefor, I don't eat first thing. I have a snack around 10am, I guess I can call that breakfast.
  • SconnieGirl22
    SconnieGirl22 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm certainly no expert, as I have only lost 30 lbs so far, but I'm going to chime in. I was never a breakfast person either. I found that if I ate something in the morning, I was starving by 10:30, and it was better to skip it. I was like this my entire overweight life. In my own personal experience, I have had more success if I do eat a little something for breakfast. Something with protein. Oatmeal, a bagel thin with a tablespoon of 2x protein cream cheese, a slice of toast with some peanut butter, and my personal fave, a couple of eggs with wheat toast.(I always have a cup of coffee). Lately, I've been lazy and have opted for a small protein shake. As far as cereal goes, I like Multigrain Cheerios with unsweet almond milk. Like I said, I'm no expert, and everyone is different. This is only what has worked for me. Good luck!!!
  • slideaway1
    slideaway1 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    If you don't want to eat breakfast and prefer to save your calories for later when your hungrier/have more time etc, then do that. It's overall cals throughout the entirety of the day that is important for weightloss etc. Meal timing has no impact. I never eat breakfast as I fast in the mornings, but sometimes I'll have a yogurt to break my fast later on in the afternoon. I eat a yogurt with 20grams of protein in and only 120 cals.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Did a bit of research on that study from Harvard...

"The new study, published July 22 in the journal Circulation, found that these men also indulged more heavily in other unhealthy lifestyle choices. They were more likely to smoke, engage in less exercise and drink alcohol."

http://news.health.com/2013/07/22/skipping-breakfast-a-recipe-for-heart-disease-study-finds/

I have a feeling that not having breakfast is more likely to be a result of those things, rather than those things being a result of not having breakfast, if there is any causation between them. I'd also be willing to bet that a good fraction of the people in the 'healthy' group that eats breakfast probably does so because of the idea that breakfast is good for you, whereas the people that smoke, drink and don't exercise probably don't care as much.

Thanks for this. That's what I immediately expected. Studies based on correlations can be good avenues to identify things worth following up on, but people (usually the media or casual readers) assuming causation from them is always a problem.

Similarly, that ON AVERAGE people are less likely to eat as much if they have regular meals (a category I fall into too) does NOT mean that everyone is the same and must follow this rule, contrary to their own personal experience. If someone thinks breakfast might help them or even regularly skips breakfast and struggles not to overeat, trying a regular breakfast would likely be a good thing. But if someone experiments and finds that eating breakfast makes her hungrier throughout the day or that she just doesn't enjoy eating it/feels bad after, then that person shouldn't eat breakfast.

I love breakfast and have been gradually increasing my breakfast calories (been between 450 and 500 lately), but I also am someone who would be better off skipping breakfast than eating just cereal and milk (even apart from the fact that I hate cold cereal). Something so strictly carby would make me hungrier immediately and the calories would likely not be enough to be any more satisfying than just fasting in the morning. (And the sugar content would be irrelevant, as other carbs without sufficient protein or fat also are not satisfying to me.)
    Either way, some people are just better off eating their food at other times. When I was a teenager I used to feel really ill all day when I ate breakfast. My parents made me eat it for a bit, then as they stopped focusing on that so much I felt much better on the mornings when I didn't have breakfast. I now feel horrible in the mornings if I don't have breakfast. Different people's bodies work differently at different parts of their lives.

I was pretty similar--I never ate breakfast as a teen and young adult (and was never overweight then either). I just felt better that way and didn't overeat (and I was a definite night person). Now that I'm older I've weirdly become a morning person and love getting up really early and having a leisurely cooked breakfast, even before work (although then leisurely is relative).