Post natal depression

so I had my baby girl in February and things were great for the first couple of months but the past few weeks I have been really down, lonely, can't loose any more weight, no motivation to exercise or do housework.
I'm hoping now I have admitted there is a problem that is the first step.
Has anyone else been through this, any advice?

Replies

• lauracups
    lauracups Posts: 533 Member
    First, congrats on the baby! Second take just a couple days, log not only your food but REALLY what you're feeling, if it seems like more than just a funk, talk to your obgyn and soon. It's not a one size fit all, how to take care of ourselves and all who rely on us. So don't feel bad about feeling bad. Pick one thing today, just one that you WILL do today, focus on it. If you take the lil one for a long walk in the stroller and the dishes sit in the sink..so be it:) Have a great day!
  • CaitlinGariFoley
    CaitlinGariFoley Posts: 2 Member
    Advice from a Midwife - Talk to your doctor sooner rather than later - PND is a common problem that can be treated but if left untreated may get worse, it's important to be psychologically well else your physical health will also suffer. Do it for your lovely new baby - she deserves the best, happiest, healthiest Mum possible! And Congratulations!
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Since this has been going on for weeks, talk to your dr or find a therapist or psychiatrist, whatever is easier for you. The sooner you address the problem, the sooner you will start feeling better. It is a great step that you acknowledge something is off, time to seek help. It is very common, do not feel bad or ashamed and it is easy to solve it.
    In the meantime, until you can get an appointment (not instead of an appointment), forget chores that are not necessary to survive and ask help from whoever can help (husband, friends, neighbours). Even someone bringing a meal, or keeping an eye on the baby so you can have a bath in peace, or a nap, can make a huge difference.
    Also force yourself to get out of the house. Put the baby in a carrier or stroller and go for a walk. If there is a park, playground etc in your area this is a good destination, as it could also help you meat other parents and talk. Or you can set as simple goals small treats for yourself, like walk to get an ice cream, a cup of coffee, a book from the library etc. If you still fill very out of shape, start simple, with just walking a block or two, and gradually increase distance. Not only walking (or any other exercise) will help you feel better, but also being outside helps a lot.