Protein goal seems ludicrous

Options
I'm 155 looking for lean gains and am well aware of typical daily protein targets. With 45% protein macro target app is telling me 245g of protein per day. This is clearly excessive and when using this app last year with exact same settings the goal was more in the 150 range. What's going on??

Replies

• jim180155
    jim180155 Posts: 769 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    You should be eating around 1 gram per pound of bodyweight if you're maintaining or bulking, or 1.2 grams of protein if on a cut. There's no benefit in going any higher than that.

Try adjusting your macro percentages to have the final result in the 155 to 186 gram range.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    gah. you don't want to wear your kidneys out. 245 g could actually hurt you; don't do that!
  • sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    The correct daily protein goal for an active individual is 0.60 to 0.80 grams per 1 lb. bodyweight, as reported by science.

Peer-reviewed, journal published research shows that 0.80 grams per pound of total bodyweight is the very high end of intake that might optimize muscle development/retention, with most research showing much lower intake is sufficient to optimize such outcomes, even in professional bodybuilders.

One of the more thorough studies done in 2011, italicized below, showed that after 0.80 g/lb there is no evidence of increased muscle protein synthesis rate for sedentary, endurance or strength athletes. The most effective range is 0.60 - 0.80 grams protein per 1 lb. bodyweight.

Example:

200 lb. person... 0.60 - 0.80 grams protein per 1 lb. bodyweight = 120-160 grams protein per day

To learn more, please review the following:

Tarnopolsky et al. (1992) observed no differences in whole body protein synthesis or indexes of lean body mass in strength athletes consuming either 0.64g/lb or 1.10g/lb over a 2 week period. Protein oxidation did increase in the high protein group, indicating a nutrient overload.

Walberg et al. (1988) found that 0.73g/lb was sufficient to maintain positive nitrogen balance in cutting weightlifters over a 7 day time period.

Tarnopolsky et al. (1988) found that only 0.37g/lb was required to maintain positive nitrogen balance in elite bodybuilders (over 5 years of experience, possible previous use of androgens) over a 10 day period. 0.45g/lb was sufficient to maintain lean body mass in bodybuilders over a 2 week period. The authors suggested that 0.55g/lb was sufficient for bodybuilders.

Lemon et al. (1992) found no differences in muscle mass or strength gains in novice bodybuilders consuming either 0.61g/lb or 1.19g/lb over a 4 week period. Based on nitrogen balance data, the authors recommended 0.75g/lb.

Hoffman et al. (2006) found no differences in body composition, strength or resting hormonal concentrations in strength athletes consuming either 0.77g/lb or >0.91g/lb over a 3 month period.

Also see:

Effect of protein intake on strength, body composition and endocrine changes in strength/power athletes. Hoffman JR, Ratamess NA, Kang J, Falvo MJ, Faigenbaum AD. J Int Soc Sports Nutr. 2006 Dec 13;3:12-8.

Macronutrient content of a hypoenergy diet affects nitrogen retention and muscle function in weight lifters. Walberg JL, Leidy MK, Sturgill DJ, Hinkle DE, Ritchey SJ, Sebolt DR. Int J Sports Med. 1988 Aug;9(4):261-6.

Protein requirements and muscle mass/strength changes during intensive training in novice bodybuilders. Lemon PW, Tarnopolsky MA, MacDougall JD, Atkinson SA. J Appl Physiol. 1992 Aug;73(2):767-75.

Influence of protein intake and training status on nitrogen balance and lean body mass. Tarnopolsky MA, MacDougall JD, Atkinson SA. J Appl Physiol. 1988 Jan;64(1):187-93.

Dietary protein for athletes: From requirements to optimum adaptation. Phillips SM, Van Loon LJ. J Sports Sci. 2011;29 Suppl 1:S29-38.

Protein and amino acid metabolism during and after exercise and the effects of nutrition. Rennie MJ, Tipton KD. Annu Rev Nutr. 2000;20:457-83.

Hartman, J. W., Moore, D. R., & Phillips, S. M. (2006). Resistance training reduces whole-body protein turnover and improves net protein retention in untrained young males. Applied Physiology, Nutrition and Metabolism, 31, 557–564.

Moore, D. R., Del Bel, N. C., Nizi, K. I., Hartman, J. W., Tang, J. E., Armstrong, D. et al. (2007). Resistance training reduces fasted- and fed-state leucine turnover and increases dietary nitrogen retention in previously untrained young men. Journal of Nutrition, 137, 985–991.

Effects of exercise on dietary protein requirements. Lemon PW. Int J Sport Nutr. 1998 Dec;8(4):426-47.

Effects of high-calorie supplements on body composition and muscular strength following resistance training. Rozenek R, Ward P, Long S, Garhammer J. J Sports Med Phys Fitness. 2002 Sep;42(3):340-7.

Increased protein maintains nitrogen balance during exercise-induced energy deficit. Pikosky MA, Smith TJ, Grediagin A, Castaneda-Sceppa C, Byerley L, Glickman EL, Young AJ. Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2008 Mar;40(3):505-12.

Dietary carbohydrate-to-fat ratio: influence on whole-body nitrogen retention, substrate utilization, and hormone response in healthy male subjects. McCargar LJ, Clandinin MT, Belcastro AN, Walker K. Am J Clin Nutr. 1989 Jun;49(6):1169-78.

Macronutrient Intakes as Determinants of Dietary Protein and Amino Acid Adequacy. Millward, DJ. J. Nutr. June 1, 2004 vol. 134 no. 6 1588S-1596S.
  • Brolympus
    Brolympus Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Yeah that much is not necessary OP. Why did you set your protein that high? 35% protein would even be considered a bit excessive. Aim for somewhere between 30-35% for protein.
  • dinglehopper1983
    dinglehopper1983 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    A lot of studies there discussing nitrogen retention, but how clearly does that relate to muscle protein synthesis? Same for whole body protein synthesis. 1g/lb bodyweight is more than sufficient.
  • jmule24
    jmule24 Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    But if only you would subscribe to the premium app you would be able to set an EXACT protein gram number!!!!!!!

Oh and Sixxpoint gave you exactly what you need to know.
  • jmule24
    jmule24 Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    Brolympus wrote: »
    Yeah that much is not necessary OP. Why did you set your protein that high? 35% protein would even be considered a bit excessive. Aim for somewhere between 30-35% for protein.

30% ???? Why???

I'm 162 - My calorie goal right now is 3000/day that would be 225g/day of protein.................

• RiffsnBarbells
    RiffsnBarbells Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    jim180155 wrote: »
    You should be eating around 1 gram per pound of bodyweight if you're maintaining or bulking, or 1.2 grams of protein if on a cut. There's no benefit in going any higher than that.

Try adjusting your macro percentages to have the final result in the 155 to 186 gram range.

This is what I have always heard and it works for me fwiw
  • Brolympus
    Brolympus Posts: 360 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    jmule24 wrote: »
    Brolympus wrote: »

30% ???? Why???

I'm 162 - My calorie goal right now is 3000/day that would be 225g/day of protein.................

Yeah I guess even that would be too high lol. I don't really use macro ratio, I just do the ol' 0.8 x weight = grams of protein. Doing the math with my calorie goal, looks like that is about 25% for the average day for me.

Also, does it doesn't matter if you are a bit over. Protein is filling. I don't like being hungry.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    fly_yyz wrote: »
    I'm 155 looking for lean gains and am well aware of typical daily protein targets. With 45% protein macro target app is telling me 245g of protein per day. This is clearly excessive and when using this app last year with exact same settings the goal was more in the 150 range. What's going on??

well, you're the one setting it to 45%...you're the one setting it to an excessive number. the information the calculator spits out is only as good as the info you put in.

this is why setting these things by a % really isn't that great...the "zone" 40/30/30 works just fine for me when I'm cutting, but if I were do use those %s in maintenance my protein targets would be unnecessarily high.
  • nathan6424
    nathan6424 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I feel you man. It's been telling me to have 323 grams per day while on my bulk at a ratio where protein is only 35%. It's ludicrous!!
  • sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    Options
    I'm successfully cutting on 40% Carbs / 35% Fat / 25% Protein and getting all that I need...

Not that the percentages mean anything. GO BY ACTUAL GRAMS!!

My TDEE is 2721.
    -20% cut = 2177 cals/day

166 lbs.
    108-133 g protein/day on average
    75-91 g dietary fat/day on average

Primarily nutritious and/or high fiber Carbs (and sometimes Alcohol) to fill in the remainder.

Something to understand about macros and calorie goals is that they should be tweaked as you weight changes. You're goals are likely not going to be the same at 112 lbs. as they would at 145, 165, or 190 lbs.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Ludicrous speed, Go!

spaceballs-ludicrous-speed-o.gif

Don't you think sir you should buckle up?

AW BUCKLE THIS!!!!
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    jim180155 wrote: »

I am not so sure about that. In maintenance or in a bulk, protein requirements are not that high.

• EzRemake
    EzRemake Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    sixxpoint wrote: »
    The correct daily protein goal for an active individual is 0.60 to 0.80 grams per 1 lb. bodyweight, as reported by science.

Peer-reviewed, journal published research shows that 0.80 grams per pound of total bodyweight is the very high end of intake that might optimize muscle development/retention, with most research showing much lower intake is sufficient to optimize such outcomes, even in professional bodybuilders.

One of the more thorough studies done in 2011, italicized below, showed that after 0.80 g/lb there is no evidence of increased muscle protein synthesis rate for sedentary, endurance or strength athletes. The most effective range is 0.60 - 0.80 grams protein per 1 lb. bodyweight.

Example:

200 lb. person... 0.60 - 0.80 grams protein per 1 lb. bodyweight = 120-160 grams protein per day

This is the only post you'll ever need to read when you ever wonder about protein. He even included sources and everything. 0.8 is very comfortable to eat, and it's all you'll ever need.

• fly_yyz
    fly_yyz Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Entirely agree with this and the numbers therein. It's why I asked the question as the MFP numbers seem ridiculous.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    EzRemake wrote: »
    sixxpoint wrote: »

Example:

This is the only post you'll ever need to read when you ever wonder about protein. He even included sources and everything. 0.8 is very comfortable to eat, and it's all you'll ever need.

nods nods nods

people get confused- and wind up saying 1 gram per 1 pound of body weight- which is a lot.
    What it is is 1 pound per LEAN pound of weight (so accounting for muscle only)
    OR
    0.6-0.8 per pound of TOTAL body weight.

My go to is "for most people anything over 100 is pretty gravy."

Like for me at 165 pounds- at 0.6 puts me at 99 grams- lower end- so again- anything over 100 is gravy and bonus points. 0.8 would be 132

(at say 25% body fat @ 165 #- is 41.25- that is 123 pounds of muscle (HA) but if you do 1 gram per lean mass- that's 123- so again- over 100 is gravy.)

works out well both ways.