How are you determining how much to lose?

Options

Replies

• Modo66
    Modo66 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    For me it is when I can get into a L size shirt
  • krdews
    krdews Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    It's been an ever evolving process... original goal was 150 and that has changed three times as I am basically in "maintenance mode" but would like to lose an additional 5 lbs and tone up my muscles. What I don't want to do is lose focus or get too lax in maintaining. I'm loving my current weight! On another note, when I did a health screening and was told I was borderline "obese" I called BS! However, in hindsight I was!
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    According to my height and age I should be 140 to be directly in the normal range. I used to be 140 and for me that was just too low (I am big boned) so my goal is to be 160. If I get down to 150 that would be great, but I have had 4 kids so realistically speaking 160 is a great goal. For me it doesn't matter about the weight so much as it does how I feel.

If I lost enough weight to hit spot-on in the middle of the BMI range, I'd be dead.
  • BikeTourer
    BikeTourer Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I'm at my goal right now 145 and very happy with it. BMI ranges are fairly large so I am happy as long as I remain within the upper range within it I will be happy. I did get in the middle range and you literally could count my ribs from a distance, yuck! If I ever got the bottom edge of the range I'd hate to think how bad I would look. Not everyone is healthier or better looking the lower they go.

I need to get a new profile pic, my current one is 8+ pounds over goal.
  • sarahmichelef
    sarahmichelef Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    The lowest I've been as an adult was 135 which is a BMI of 23.2. That turned out not to be sustainable for me, so this time I'm aiming for 145, which puts me JUST into a "healthy" BMI (which is a crap measure as far as I'm concerned... I have a LOT of muscle mass). But I'm honestly just looking for my health insurance company not to demand that I go in for a physical this year. ;)
  • Aine8046
    Aine8046 Posts: 2,122 Member
    Options
    When I was in good shape...

Same here. I was 130-140 most of my life and was happy there. So I just want to get back where I belonged :)
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    My first goal was 165...lowest I had been since having my son...I hit that and thought eh why not another 10...so I did that...and thought 145 looks doable..bam.

I might try for 140 this summer we will see how it goes...

According to any charts I should be 130-138 but atm I am in the middle of healthy BMI, wear a size 4 and feel good...there is still some fat that could go but it will with time...I am not too worried about scale weight only.
  • maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    The size of my moobs.
  • vinerie
    vinerie Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I determined my goal at first by looking at http://www.mybodygallery.com and seeing what sort of weight looked good for my height, which also happened to be 120. When I got there I decided I still wanted to lose weight so I carried on. I don't really have a goal weight now, I'm just dieting until I'm happy (or I reach the lowest healthy weight for my height).

Wow! Great website!
  • peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    I'm going on BF%. I figure that I can get down to around 20%, maybe less, by about the time I hit 180, or so. I might try to push it down to 170, and then I want to bulk/cut a few times before going into maintenance. I want to end up at around 185 with 15-20% BF.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    I picked the highest "healthy" weight on the BMI chart. Then I found out I'd shrunk an inch and saw the number is 132#. After reevaluating, I decided 150 is close enough.
  • lalangela
    lalangela Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I'm aiming for a pants size of 6/8. If I don't lose another pound, but drop the two pants sizes, I'd be happy!
  • SearsBD62052
    SearsBD62052 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Right now with figuring my height and weight, my BMI is 29.2..... I only know that means I am 1/3 fat still... where do I find a BMI chart?
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    Right now with figuring my height and weight, my BMI is 29.2..... I only know that means I am 1/3 fat still... where do I find a BMI chart?

That's not what it means at all.

You're thinking Body Fat %, which is NOT BMI in any means at all.

You could have a BMI of 29.2 and barely have any fat at all.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    I think between 130 and 140 is healthy for me. I don't plan to get back down to my HS weight of 108, or my college weight of 118 because I have more muscle now and getting older. I like a little softness too.
  • misscharleygirl
    misscharleygirl Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I set mine at what I weighed after my second child, before the third. It is an appropriate weight for my age and is considered "healthy" by BMI standards.
  • icck
    icck Posts: 197 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    My base goal is BMI based, i.e. I'd like to get down to "overweight" and will see how I feel then. I have another 6kg until I'm there.
    A lot of it is the fit of clothes too, though. I have a few dresses and some jeans that don't fit anymore, I'd like to be wearing them with room to spare.

Then I can revise my goals when I hit those. :)
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    I picked the highest "healthy" weight on the BMI chart. Then I found out I'd shrunk an inch and saw the number is 132#. After reevaluating, I decided 150 is close enough.

This for me too! But I'd be happy just to be closer to 100 than 200. 40 more pounds for that.

• GreggorMcPheeb
    GreggorMcPheeb Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have a skirt (the one in my profile pic) which I'm aiming to get back into. Once I'm happy with my figure and weight again, that's when I'll know I've reached my goal :)
  • xLoveLikeWinterx
    xLoveLikeWinterx Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    leggup wrote: »
    I wanted to be in the bottom half of a normal BMI. So, normal is 18.5-24.9. The halfway point for BMI is 21.7. I set my initial goal a little lower than that. Then, when I got to that goal, I knew I could get even closer to my ideal, improve my performance, etc, if I cut more weight. I again split the difference between 21.7 and 18.5 and want to go a little below that. My goal weight is 139 lbs, my goal weight range is 139-145 (BMI 19.4-20.2). Edited to add- I'm 5'11

I'm glad I'm not the only one who came up with a goal weight this way. My ultimate goal weight is to be at the BMI of 21.7 since it's a halfway point. Even though I kinda think BMI is junk, at least it gives me a good number to shoot for.