How to get rid of trigger foods?

Options
My family recently bought a big jar of peanut butter. I haven't had it in the house for ages because it's something I always crave and eventually binge on. I already had twice the serving size and it has accounted for nearly 30% of my whole calorie intake of the day. Should I throw the rest in garbage which would be a huge waste in the end or use it up in a recipe I know I cannot eat? What would be the best option?

Replies

• tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    Give it to someone as is, or make peanut butter cookies and give those to someone
  • mistikal13
    mistikal13 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    Bake something with it for someone else or just give it away if you know you'll binge
  • lleahpeaa
    lleahpeaa Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter isn't bad for you girl! Don't be afraid of it, love it! When you eat it, try to be creative with it and eat it with different kinds of foods instead of eating it out of the jar (I always do that too) to try to control how much of it you're eating.
  • jessicapk
    jessicapk Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Think of it as an exercise in self control. Until you figure that out, you'll always lose and gain, lose and gain...
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Have them put it somewhere you won't find it? I'm that way with nutella so I don't buy it. Last time my husband brought it home from the grocery I stuck it on a tall shelf. I'm 5'3" so it was out of sight and I forgot about it long enough for him to binge eat it. lol.
  • missh1967
    missh1967 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    CleanBEAN1 wrote: »
    My family recently bought a big jar of peanut butter.

Should I throw the rest in garbage which would be a huge waste in the end or use it up in a recipe I know I cannot eat? What would be the best option?

If someone else bought it, I think it'd be very rude to throw it away or give it away. It's not yours do that with. I'd be pissed if my kid/spouse/whoever threw away something I bought just because they couldn't abstain.
  • breathebelievejen
    breathebelievejen Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I have to separate it in my mind as my food and their food. My OH has all sorts of treats in the house but I don't give in because I see it as his 'rations' and not for me to eat, if that makes sense? but I'm afraid that's not very helpful on a practical basis- the suggestion about putting it out of reach is a good one! If you're not going to eat it, I'd definitely suggest baking something for somebody else instead of just throwing it away- seems a proper waste..
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    Why shouldn't your family be allowed to have the foods they want in the house? It would be very rude to throw it away or to give it to someone else. One simply needs to learn how to live with temptation and to understand that you can't control everything or everyone around you.
  • D_squareG
    D_squareG Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Some foods are just triggers. If you can't get rid of it, put it ways out of sight. Like in the basement. Then you at least have to walk some steps to get to it. I buy the proportioned peanut butter. I know it is expensive, but it helps me and it makes it easy to carry as a lunch with some apple slices. Good luck.