Not sure if I should join a gym

Options
I bought a Fitbit in January of this year and since then I've been walking a lot. I haven't been losing much weight because I eat too much - about as many calories as I burn - but I've gone down a dress size and toned up a little bit. I enjoy walking and I've also started doing plie's to tone my legs and push ups (although I can only do them on my knees lol).

I found a gym in my local area and signed up for a 7 day free trial. I've gone twice and while I like it, especially the treadmill and exercise bike, I'm not sure if I should join. I can just barely afford it but it will make money a bit tight. Also I have to catch the bus there, and even though it's a short trip I'm worried I'll be put off going when it's easier to exercise at home.

Not sure what to do. My workouts will be more intense at the gym and I'll burn more calories. But I've read if your exercise isn't convenient to you you won't keep it up. Working out at the gym makes me feel great though! Any advice?

Replies

• kraft_kris
    kraft_kris Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I think you have answered your own question - a gym doesn't sound like it's convenient or affordable for you right now - and that will make it tough to stick with it - there are tons of free videos online and you can buy videos sometimes for $5-$10. I personally have tried a lot of different things and like walking!
  • mmghanna1
    mmghanna1 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Yeah you're right. I do try free videos online sometimes. Thanks for replying :)
  • whatatime2befit
    whatatime2befit Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    There is so much you can do at home that I wouldn't worry about joining a gym if it is going to make your finances tight. Youtube has awesome videos, and there are things you can use around the house as accessories to boost your exercises (use a step stool as a stepper, etc).
  • kailyw05
    kailyw05 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I still toy with joining a gym for the same reasons you've named. A couple years ago I took the money I could have spent on a year gym membership and bought a decent second hand treadmill for $400 and a set of second hand dumbbells (3 lb, 5 lb, and 8lb) for about $40. This has been enough to get myself down to a healthy weight. As far as fitness goals are concerned though I do feel rather limited.

My view is that I could spend the money on actual equipment for my home that will last a long time. The main local gym membership would cost me around $600 per year. That is just too much for me to justify. The internet is so full of information and workout ideas that with a little bit extra effort to come up with a plan you can do wonders for yourself. I also love the convenience of working out at home.

Good luck to you! I say hold off on that gym membership as long as possible!
  • mmghanna1
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I'll stick to exercising at home.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    mmghanna1 wrote: »
    I bought a Fitbit in January of this year and since then I've been walking a lot. I haven't been losing much weight because I eat too much - about as many calories as I burn - but I've gone down a dress size and toned up a little bit.

You know what you need to do if you want to lose weight—eat less, and/or move more. And moving more doesn't necessary mean going to the gym. Find some friends in the Fitbit Users group and start doing Fitbit challenges—they're great motivation + fun: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1290-fitbit-users

The scale can be a lying liar who lies, so take measurements and progress photos, too. Have other metrics, like strength or endurance. But if you've gone down a dress size, you're already making progress.
  • mmghanna1
    Options
    I decided to join the gym after all, but I signed up to a month to month plan so if I want to quit in a couple of months I'm not locked into a contract. I hear what you're all saying about it not being necessary, and you're right. But I enjoy the gym and I know my workouts will be much more intense there. Already I'm sore and I break a sweat at the gym, but walking on my own I don't get any of that. Anyway I'll give it a go and see if it improves my health :) Thanks for all your comments.