Balanced diet - any tips?

Options
aersa
aersa Posts: 5 Member
Hey there! So I only joined myfitnesspal yesterday but I started to try and eat healthy about two weeks ago and it's been going okay I think.

What I've noticed when I log what I eat is that my diet seems to be high in sugar and low in protein. This baffles me because I am eating meat (chicken, sometimes beef) at least 3 times a week and I haven't been eating ANYTHING with added sugar, just fruits really? I guess I'd just like some tips as to what I could add/remove from my diet to even things out?

Myfitnesspal has me put in 1200cal/day and a typical day for me goes something like

Breakfast: Oatmeal porridge, I sometimes put honey or raisins in, and a little low-fat milk
Lunch: Smoothie heavy in fruit / spinach, plain low-fat yoghurt with granola
Dinner: Chicken dishes, veggie dishes.... brown rice or salad as a side.
Snacks in between: Rice cakes, sometimes with peanut butter, fruit, coffee w/ milk, etc

My calorie intake is on point but I'm really lacking in protein and today, my smoothie consisting of half a banana, mango and pineapple juice seemed to drive my sugar intake way too high.

I'd appreciate any advice. I've tried dieting before I usually give up simply because I lack imagination when it comes to creating healthy, balanced meals. I really like vegetables and veggie dishes so if you can point me to some good dinner recipes high in protein consisting mainly of veggies/beans, I'd really appreciate it!

If you need more info or would like me to move this thread elsewhere, please ask! Like I said, I'm new so I don't know how things go. :-)

Replies

• Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    MFP does not separate naturally occurring sugars from added sugar. Fruit has quite a bit of naturally occuring sugar, so that's where your number is coming from. Nothing wrong with naturally occuring OR added sugar in moderation-many of us don't track sugar since we're already tracking carbs. You can go into your settings and chose to track something else, like fiber :)

As for protein-fish is a great source, eggs, some vegetables, dairy, protein bars/shakes/powders etc etc.

Having said all of that though-weight loss comes down to the simple truth of calories, math and eating at a calorie deficit. In terms of weight loss it doesn't matter what macro numbers you're hitting, how much sugar you're consuming etc. Eat at a calorie deficit and you'll lose weight :)
  • CoachJen71
    CoachJen71 Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I started tweaking my food not long ago for increased protein. By swapping a breakfast of half a banana and 28 grams of peanut butter for 28g of peanut butter, 2Tblsp fat-free creamer, and stevia mixed into 112g of Greek yogurt, and then adding 50g of banana chunks, I was able to lower sugar and raise protein.

Some people swear by protein powder, but since I have not tried one I can't speak to those. Eating Greek yogurt twice a day, though, has really helped boost my protein, and I really enjoy it. :)
  • sadiebrawl
    sadiebrawl Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    You could add stuff like chia, flax or PB2 to your smoothie. Easily get 9-10 grams just from those alone.
  • aersa
    Options
    MFP does not separate naturally occurring sugars from added sugar. Fruit has quite a bit of naturally occuring sugar, so that's where your number is coming from. Nothing wrong with naturally occuring OR added sugar in moderation-many of us don't track sugar since we're already tracking carbs. You can go into your settings and chose to track something else, like fiber :)

As for protein-fish is a great source, eggs, some vegetables, dairy, protein bars/shakes/powders etc etc.

Having said all of that though-weight loss comes down to the simple truth of calories, math and eating at a calorie deficit. In terms of weight loss it doesn't matter what macro numbers you're hitting, how much sugar you're consuming etc. Eat at a calorie deficit and you'll lose weight :)

Thanks a lot! I know that's what matters most, and I'm doing great there so that's good. :-)

I've also just been really very tired since I started on this diet (almost always sleepy around 8pm, whereas I used to stay up to 11-12pm just fine) and I was just wondering if that might be because I was eating too much sugar/too little protein.

I will try to add more fish and eggs to my diet though! Thanks.
  • aersa
    Options
    sadiebrawl wrote: »
    You could add stuff like chia, flax or PB2 to your smoothie. Easily get 9-10 grams just from those alone.

Chia was already on my shopping list for my next trip to the store, good to know that those might help some. Thanks :smile:
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    If you don't like to eat a lot of meat, consider getting a protein to mix in to your oatmeal and smoothies.

Consider adding eggs? HB eggs are Great as a snack - make a lot in one go and store in the fridge. Or vegie frittatas, omelettes etc. are yummy for lunch/dinner, even breakfast.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    aersa wrote: »

Thanks a lot! I know that's what matters most, and I'm doing great there so that's good. :-)

I've also just been really very tired since I started on this diet (almost always sleepy around 8pm, whereas I used to stay up to 11-12pm just fine) and I was just wondering if that might be because I was eating too much sugar/too little protein.

I will try to add more fish and eggs to my diet though! Thanks.

You could be getting tired because of your low calorie intake. With only 24lbs to lose 1200 seems a little low.

I don't know your stats but with so little left to lose your goal should be set to no more than .5 to 1lb a week.

• aersa
    Options
    Annie_01 wrote: »

You could be getting tired because of your low calorie intake. With only 24lbs to lose 1200 seems a little low.

I don't know your stats but with so little left to lose your goal should be set to no more than .5 to 1lb a week.

You're probably right. I'm a little impatient to lose weight because I'm going on a trip to Italy next month with a group of friends and I want to be swimsuit-ready. :smile: Thanks for the tip though - I will consider eating more calories. I didn't realised I might be eating too little because I never really feel hungry at all, only tired and cranky. :blush:

• Stephcrane14
    Stephcrane14 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    What works better for me is to eat breakfast, mid-morning snack and sometimes lunch (depending on the intensity of my workout for the day) with a high(er) intake of carbs/starches and then to eat lean meats with vegetables for the rest of the day (lunch, mid-afternoon snack and dinner).

This sometimes proves hard to do because dinner recipes, a lot of the time, are centered around carbs and starches. Keeping it simple towards the end of your day might prove to be beneficial, like you said with vegetarian dinner dishes.

Here are some ideas that I have come across that I love to eat towards the end of my day, I hope this helps you!:

(MEAT option)
    Stuffed Meatloaf http://cookingandcooking.com/recipe.php?recname=Stuffed-Meatloaf
    -I swap out the breadcrumbs with some rolled oats
    -I also don't use mozz. cheese, I'll use anything on sale that is low-fat <-- eating healthy is expensive!

Turkey Meatballs http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/video-jamie-eason-turkey-meatloaf-muffins.htm
    -I make these at least once a month, they are filling, healthy, lean and high in protein. this recipe can also be altered by adding less or more/different veges to the mix! I like to add mushrooms to mine

(VEGETARIAN option)
    *To add protein to any of these, sometimes I will mash beans to incorporate or just throw them in, or quinoa in moderation is an excellent source of protein as well!

Spinach Burgers http://thevillagecook.com/spinach-burgers/

Spaghetti Squash Bake http://reciperunner.com/spaghetti-squash-feta-herbs/

Eggplant Parm http://crazyhorsesghost.hubpages.com/hub/Egg-Plant-Parmesan

Vegetable Soup http://m.skinnyms.com/flush-the-fat-away-vegetable-soup/#_a5y_p=3043907

Veggie Alfredo Lasagna http://pinchofyum.com/veggie-alfredo-lasagna
    -the alfredo is made from cauliflower
    -I tend to limit the amount of cheese this recipe has and also omit the lasagna noodles so this is more of a
    veggie bake with alfredo

Cabbage Steaks--> cut into about 1/2" slices of cabbage, cut whole head, mix olive oil, dijon mustard and caraway seeds in bowl, enough to brush over each side of the cabbage steaks, brush on mixture, pop in 350 oven for about 15-20 min, I like to let them cook until they are browning on the edges so maybe a little longer, take out and enjoy....I eat these ALL the time, they are filling and I will say that I have eaten an entire head of cabbage in one sitting before

I hope these are some good ideas for you, I only cook like this for dinner every once in a while. I have found that the more simple my diet plan is, the more success I have sticking to it. Also, it helps save my wallet too.

FYI, Pinterest is a great avenue to discover clean eating recipes as well :)

• aersa
    Options
    What works better for me is to eat breakfast, mid-morning snack and sometimes lunch (depending on the intensity of my workout for the day) with a high(er) intake of carbs/starches and then to eat lean meats with vegetables for the rest of the day (lunch, mid-afternoon snack and dinner).

This sometimes proves hard to do because dinner recipes, a lot of the time, are centered around carbs and starches. Keeping it simple towards the end of your day might prove to be beneficial, like you said with vegetarian dinner dishes.

Here are some ideas that I have come across that I love to eat towards the end of my day, I hope this helps you!:

(MEAT option)
    Stuffed Meatloaf http://cookingandcooking.com/recipe.php?recname=Stuffed-Meatloaf
    -I swap out the breadcrumbs with some rolled oats
    -I also don't use mozz. cheese, I'll use anything on sale that is low-fat <-- eating healthy is expensive!

Turkey Meatballs http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/video-jamie-eason-turkey-meatloaf-muffins.htm
    -I make these at least once a month, they are filling, healthy, lean and high in protein. this recipe can also be altered by adding less or more/different veges to the mix! I like to add mushrooms to mine

(VEGETARIAN option)
    *To add protein to any of these, sometimes I will mash beans to incorporate or just throw them in, or quinoa in moderation is an excellent source of protein as well!

Spinach Burgers http://thevillagecook.com/spinach-burgers/

Spaghetti Squash Bake http://reciperunner.com/spaghetti-squash-feta-herbs/

Eggplant Parm http://crazyhorsesghost.hubpages.com/hub/Egg-Plant-Parmesan

Vegetable Soup http://m.skinnyms.com/flush-the-fat-away-vegetable-soup/#_a5y_p=3043907

Veggie Alfredo Lasagna http://pinchofyum.com/veggie-alfredo-lasagna
    -the alfredo is made from cauliflower
    -I tend to limit the amount of cheese this recipe has and also omit the lasagna noodles so this is more of a
    veggie bake with alfredo

Cabbage Steaks--> cut into about 1/2" slices of cabbage, cut whole head, mix olive oil, dijon mustard and caraway seeds in bowl, enough to brush over each side of the cabbage steaks, brush on mixture, pop in 350 oven for about 15-20 min, I like to let them cook until they are browning on the edges so maybe a little longer, take out and enjoy....I eat these ALL the time, they are filling and I will say that I have eaten an entire head of cabbage in one sitting before

I hope these are some good ideas for you, I only cook like this for dinner every once in a while. I have found that the more simple my diet plan is, the more success I have sticking to it. Also, it helps save my wallet too.

FYI, Pinterest is a great avenue to discover clean eating recipes as well :)

Thanks so much for your detailed answer! I see loads of delicious looking recipes in there. I'm definitely going to add a little more to my breakfast.

And thanks to everyone who have replied, it's really great to get such great feedback from everyone! You guys really helped me out. :smile:
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    I have a low carb protein mix I put one scoop of in my Greek yogurt. It is only 24 grams of protein but it is a little extra.

FairLife milk is awesome! It is new in my area. It has double the protein and half the sugar. Publix carries it now.

It mixes well with a protein shake.

If I'm running late I put ice in a shaker cup, 8 ounces of milk, a cup of that yogurt, and a scoop of protein and shake it and run out the door!

It isn't that bad if you get complementary flavors :). And I liked milkshakes anyway.

40 some grams of protein! Tastes good enough to feel like cheating!

Great thread

• sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    Options
    Achieving a healthy, balanced lifestyle can be accomplished by:
    • Predominating your intake with a rich variety of whole, minimally processed foods.
    • Staying in the ballpark of your macronutrient targets.
    • Leaving a minority of the diet open for indulgences of whatever you want (10-20% guideline).
    • Ignoring the rules of fad diets & being cautious of supplement marketing.
    • Sticking with foods that fit your personal preference & tolerance.
    • Making exercise a lifestyle change, not something you do on occasion.
    • Getting proper hydration & rest.
    • Relying on science & factual information instead of "It works for me", he said-she said mumbo-jumbo.
    • Understanding the importance of "Everything in Moderation".

Macronutrient Targets:
    • Bare minimum of 0.40-0.45 grams DIETARY FAT per 1 lb. body weight (more if maintaining or bulking).
    • 0.60-0.80 grams PROTEIN per 1 lb. body weight (scientific range that supports muscle synthesis).
    • Let nutritious, high fiber CARBS (and ALCOHOL, if consuming) to fill the rest of your total daily calorie intake.

DIETARY FAT = 9 calories per gram
    PROTEIN = 4 calories per gram
    CARBS = 4 calories per gram
    ALCOHOL = 7 calories per gram

Alcohol calories get used first as long as they are in your system.

Protein is the bricks. Carbs are the brick layers. Fat is the cement. Micronutrients (vitamins, minerals, etc) are the weatherproofing.

Use page 2 of this calculator to determine your TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure): http://www.1percentedge.com/ifcalc/
    • To maintain weight, consume an amount of calories equal to TDEE.
    • To lose weight, consume 10% to 20% less than TDEE.
    • To gain weight, consume 10% to 20% more than TDEE.

Other Tips:
    • Adjust your MyFitnessPal Calorie & Macronutrient targets based on your activity level and total bodyweight.
    • Don't overshoot your activity level.
    • Continually adjust Calorie & Macronutrient targets for every 5 lbs. lost or gained.
    • Begin to weigh food in ounces or grams and rely on the bar scanner whenever possible.
    • If relying on TDEE, do not take away calories burned. The TDEE method already encompasses your activity level.

References:

http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa0804748

Dietary protein for athletes: From requirements to optimum adaptation. Phillips SM, Van Loon LJ. J Sports Sci. 2011;29 Suppl 1:S29-38.

Tarnopolsky et al. (1992) observed no differences in whole body protein synthesis or indexes of lean body mass in strength athletes consuming either 0.64g/lb or 1.10g/lb over a 2 week period. Protein oxidation did increase in the high protein group, indicating a nutrient overload.

Walberg et al. (1988) found that 0.73g/lb was sufficient to maintain positive nitrogen balance in cutting weightlifters over a 7 day time period.

Tarnopolsky et al. (1988) found that only 0.37g/lb was required to maintain positive nitrogen balance in elite bodybuilders (over 5 years of experience, possible previous use of androgens) over a 10 day period. 0.45g/lb was sufficient to maintain lean body mass in bodybuilders over a 2 week period. The authors suggested that 0.55g/lb was sufficient for bodybuilders.

Lemon et al. (1992) found no differences in muscle mass or strength gains in novice bodybuilders consuming either 0.61g/lb or 1.19g/lb over a 4 week period. Based on nitrogen balance data, the authors recommended 0.75g/lb.

Hoffman et al. (2006) found no differences in body composition, strength or resting hormonal concentrations in strength athletes consuming either 0.77g/lb or >0.91g/lb over a 3 month period.

Effect of protein intake on strength, body composition and endocrine changes in strength/power athletes. Hoffman JR, Ratamess NA, Kang J, Falvo MJ, Faigenbaum AD. J Int Soc Sports Nutr. 2006 Dec 13;3:12-8.

Macronutrient content of a hypoenergy diet affects nitrogen retention and muscle function in weight lifters. Walberg JL, Leidy MK, Sturgill DJ, Hinkle DE, Ritchey SJ, Sebolt DR. Int J Sports Med. 1988 Aug;9(4):261-6.

Protein requirements and muscle mass/strength changes during intensive training in novice bodybuilders. Lemon PW, Tarnopolsky MA, MacDougall JD, Atkinson SA. J Appl Physiol. 1992 Aug;73(2):767-75.

Influence of protein intake and training status on nitrogen balance and lean body mass. Tarnopolsky MA, MacDougall JD, Atkinson SA. J Appl Physiol. 1988 Jan;64(1):187-93.

Protein and amino acid metabolism during and after exercise and the effects of nutrition. Rennie MJ, Tipton KD. Annu Rev Nutr. 2000;20:457-83.

Hartman, J. W., Moore, D. R., & Phillips, S. M. (2006). Resistance training reduces whole-body protein turnover and improves net protein retention in untrained young males. Applied Physiology, Nutrition and Metabolism, 31, 557–564.

Moore, D. R., Del Bel, N. C., Nizi, K. I., Hartman, J. W., Tang, J. E., Armstrong, D. et al. (2007). Resistance training reduces fasted- and fed-state leucine turnover and increases dietary nitrogen retention in previously untrained young men. Journal of Nutrition, 137, 985–991.

Effects of exercise on dietary protein requirements. Lemon PW. Int J Sport Nutr. 1998 Dec;8(4):426-47.

Effects of high-calorie supplements on body composition and muscular strength following resistance training. Rozenek R, Ward P, Long S, Garhammer J. J Sports Med Phys Fitness. 2002 Sep;42(3):340-7.

Increased protein maintains nitrogen balance during exercise-induced energy deficit. Pikosky MA, Smith TJ, Grediagin A, Castaneda-Sceppa C, Byerley L, Glickman EL, Young AJ. Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2008 Mar;40(3):505-12.

Dietary carbohydrate-to-fat ratio: influence on whole-body nitrogen retention, substrate utilization, and hormone response in healthy male subjects. McCargar LJ, Clandinin MT, Belcastro AN, Walker K. Am J Clin Nutr. 1989 Jun;49(6):1169-78.

Macronutrient Intakes as Determinants of Dietary Protein and Amino Acid Adequacy. Millward, DJ. J. Nutr. June 1, 2004 vol. 134 no. 6 1588S-1596S.

High-Density Lipoprotein Cholesterol and Particle Concentrations, Carotid Atherosclerosis, and Coronary Events: Multi-Ethnic Study of Atherosclerosis (MESA) J Am Coll Cardiol 2012;60:508-16

Clinical Utility of Inflammatory Markers and Advanced Lipoprotein Testing: Advice from an Expert Panel of Lipid Specialists Journal of Clinical Lipidology, 2011;5(5);338-367

Clinical Implications of Discordance between Low-Density Lipoprotein Cholesterol and Particle Number: Multi-Ethnic Study of Atherosclerosis Journal of Clinical Lipidology, 2011;5(2);105-113

Underappreciated Opportunities for Low Density Lipoprotein Management in Patients with Cardiometabolic Risk Atherosclerosis. 2010;213:1-7

Position Statement from the AACC Lipoproteins and Vascular Diseases Division Working Group on Best Practices Clinical Chemistry. 2009;55:407-419

Low Density Lipoprotein and Apolipoprotein B: Clinical Use in Patients with Coronary Heart Disease Current Cardiology Reports. 2009;11:468-475

Lipoprotein Management in Patients with Cardiometabolic Risk: Consensus Statement from the American Diabetes Association and the American College of Cardiology Foundation Diabetes Care 2008;31(4);811-812

LDL Particle Number and Risk of Future Cardiovascular Disease in the Framingham Offspring Study – Implications for LDL Management J Clin Lipidology. 2007;1:583-592

Low-Density Lipoprotein and High-Density Lipoprotein Particle Subclass Predict Coronary Events and are Favorably Changed by Gemfibrozil Thearpy in the veterans Affairs High-Density Lipoprotein Intervention Trial Circulation. 2006;113:1556-1563

Shai I, et al. Weight loss with a low-carbohydrate, mediterranean, or low-fat diet. N Engl J Med 2008;359(3);229–41.

Gardner CD, et al. Comparison of the Atkins, Zone, Ornish, and learn Diets for Change in Weight and Related Risk Factors Among Overweight Premenopausal Women. The a to z Weight Loss Study: A Randomized Trial. JAMA. 2007;297:969–977.

Brehm BJ, et al. A Randomized Trial Comparing a Very Low Carbohydrate Diet and a Calorie-Restricted Low Fat Diet on Body Weight and Cardiovascular Risk Factors in Healthy Women. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2003;88:1617–1623.

Samaha FF, et al. A Low-Carbohydrate as Compared with a Low-Fat Diet in Severe Obesity. N Engl J Med 2003;348:2074–81.

Sondike SB, et al. Effects of a low-carbohydrate diet on weight loss and cardiovascular risk factor in overweight adolescents. J Pediatr. 2003 Mar;142(3):253–8.

Aude YW, et al. The National Cholesterol Education Program Diet vs a Diet Lower in Carbohydrates and Higher in Protein and Monounsaturated Fat. A Randomized Trial. Arch Intern Med. 2004;164:2141–2146.

Volek JS, et al. Comparison of energy-restricted very low-carbohydrate and low-fat diets on weight loss and body composition in overweight men and women. Nutrition & Metabolism 2004, 1:13.

Yancy WS Jr, et al. A Low-Carbohydrate, Ketogenic Diet versus a Low-Fat Diet To Treat Obesity and Hyperlipidemia. A Randomized, Controlled Trial. Ann Intern Med. 2004;140:769–777.

Nichols-Richardsson SM, et al. Perceived Hunger Is Lower and Weight Loss Is Greater in Overweight Premenopausal Women Consuming a Low-Carbohydrate/High- Protein vs High-Carbohydrate/Low-Fat Diet. J Am Diet Assoc. 2005;105:1433–1437.

Krebs NF, et al. Efficacy and Safety of a High Protein, Low Carbohydrate Diet for Weight Loss in Severely Obese Adolescents. J Pediatr 2010;157:252-8.

Summer SS, et al. Adiponectin Changes in Relation to the Macronutrient Composition of a Weight-Loss Diet. Obesity (Silver Spring). 2011 Mar 31. [Epub ahead of print]

Halyburton AK, et al. Low- and high-carbohydrate weight-loss diets have similar effects on mood but not cognitive performance. Am J Clin Nutr 2007;86:580–7.

Dyson PA, et al. A low-carbohydrate diet is more effective in reducing body weight than healthy eating in both diabetic and non-diabetic subjects. Diabet Med. 2007 Dec;24(12):1430-5.

Keogh JB, et al. Effects of weight loss from a very-low-carbohydrate diet on endothelial function and markers of cardiovascular disease risk in subjects with abdominal obesity. Am J Clin Nutr 2008;87:567–76.

Volek JS, et al. Carbohydrate Restriction has a More Favorable Impact on the Metabolic Syndrome than a Low Fat Diet. Lipids 2009;44:297–309.

Partsalaki I, et al. Metabolic impact of a ketogenic diet compared to a hypocaloric diet in obese children and adolescents. J Pediatr Endocrinol Metab. 2012;25(7-8):697-704.

Daly ME, et al. Short-term effects of severe dietary carbohydrate-restriction advice in Type 2 diabetes–a randomized controlled trial. Diabet Med. 2006 Jan;23(1):15–20.

Westman EC, et al. The effect of a low-carbohydrate, ketogenic diet versus a low- glycemic index diet on glycemic control in type 2 diabetes mellitus. Nutr. Metab (Lond.)2008 Dec 19;5:36.